Thread: Donald Trump's lawyer threatens reporter over ex-wife's claim: 'You cannot rape your spouse'

Trump lawyer: 'You cannot rape your spouse'

A lawyer and spokesman for current Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump issued a series of vulgar threats to a reporter on Monday, while falsely claiming that it was legal for a husband to rape his wife in New York.

Michael Cohen, special counsel for the Trump Organization, threatened Canadian-American reporter Tim Mak of the Daily Beast with untold legal consequences in response to an article that resurfaced allegations that Trump had raped his then-wife Ivana.

The statements from the real-estate tycoon’s long-time attorney may, campaign watchers said, prove to undermine a campaign that officially began with Trump’s incendiary remarks about migrants from Mexico whom he called “rapists” and has survived a series of increasingly controversial remarks over the following six weeks.The Guardian view on Donald Trump’s early lead in the race for the Republican nominationEditorial: Donald Trump threatens to expose the contradictions at the heart of the Republican party

The Daily Beast story repeated details of a deposition relayed by a Trump biographer, who described the mogul as forcing himself on his then-wife as revenge for her encouraging him to undergo a painful and unsuccessful scalp reduction surgery in the late 1980s.

The 1993 book, by author Harry Hurt III, includes a statement from Ivana Trump stating that she referred to the sexual encounter in question “as a ‘rape’, but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense”. Donald Trump has long insisted that the assertion of assault was “false”.

But Cohen, Trump’s lawyer and a spokesman who has helped control his candidate’s message in maintaining the Republican poll lead over more experienced politicians, went much further than that. According to the Daily Beast, he issued a series of vulgar quotes when questioned by its reporter.

“I will make sure that you and I meet one day while we’re in the courthouse. And I will take you for every penny you still don’t have. And I will come after your Daily Beast and everybody else that you possibly know,” Cohen told the website. “So I’m warning you, tread very $#@!ing lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be $#@!ing disgusting. You understand me?”

The attorney then went on to issue direct threats regarding the resurfaced assertions: “You write a story that has Mr. Trump’s name in it, with the word ‘rape’, and I’m going to mess your life up … for as long as you’re on this frickin’ planet.”

“[Y]ou’re going to have judgments against you, so much money, you’ll never know how to get out from underneath it,” Cohen told the Daily Beast.

But the lawyer’s most specious claim in the vociferous interview arrived in a false assertion about the law: “You’re talking about the front-runner for the GOP, presidential candidate, as well as private individual who never raped anybody. And, of course, understand that by the very definition, you can’t rape your spouse,” he said.

“It is true,” Cohen told the Daily Beast. “You cannot rape your spouse. And there’s very clear case law.”

Marital rape was made illegal in all US states in 1993. It was made illegal in New York state in 1984, five years before the alleged incident. Donald and Ivana Trump settled their divorce in 1992.

Despite Trump’s penchant for controversial comments – including disparaging the heroism of Arizona senator John McCain during the Vietnam war, which led to widespread condemnation within his party – Trump has maintained a substantial lead in national polls for the Republican presidential nomination.

Rick Wilson, a prominent Republican consultant, said the lawyer’s comments – just the latest party line from a man described as “Trump’s pit bull” – represented a campaign that was parroting his hyperbole.

“The Trump circus is largely comprised of hangers-on with a key skill set: kissing Donald Trump’s ass,” Wilson told the Guardian. “Oddly, the same skill set doesn’t extend into other domains like politics, common sense or judgment.”

Cohen, Ivana Trump and the Trump campaign did not respond to request for comment from the Guardian.

In an interview on Fox News that aired after the Daily Beast report surfaced, Trump continued to talk about illegal immigrants and how current president Barack Obama was “the worst”.“Congratulations on your good poll numbers,” Fox personality Sean Hannity said.
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...atens-reporter
    Last edited by carlton; 07-28-2015 at 03:07 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Maybe the Trump apologists on this board are right... what we need is a candidate who believes that a husband cannot rape his wife.. that will truly derail our messed up political system!

Quote Originally Posted by carlton View Post
    derail our messed up political system!

Last edited by nikcers; 07-28-2015 at 02:45 AM.

I never got a "wife rape, permission card" when I got married. <pout!>

If I read the headline correctly, it was the Trump Lawyer saying it not Trump himself. But when your lawyer is this ignorant of the law, no wonder why Trump acts like his $#@! didn't stink.

Its all fun and good talking about Trump, but this man takes so much attention that serious issues and candidates are overlooked in his stead.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Im guessing it did happen. Maybe it was kinky role playing rough sex.. but ivana got offered something to throw in the rape thing. Dont know, but is this the reason why he opted to go into the debates?

Debunked

Trump campaign, Ivana Trump push back on ‘rape’ allegation report
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...gation-report/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivana Trump
    "I have recently read some comments attributed to me from nearly 30 years ago at a time of very high tension during my divorce from Donald. The story is totally without merit. Donald and I are the best of friends and together have raised 3 children that we love and are very proud of. I have nothing but fondness for Donald and wish him the best of luck on his campaign. Incidentally, I think he would make an incredible president."
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    But when your lawyer is this ignorant of the law, no wonder why Trump acts like his $#@! didn't stink.
    When better than 90 percent of legal cases are handled through back room deals with drinking buddies, how much actual law does a lawyer really need to know?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

You would think Trump could hire a better lawyer...
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

His lawyer is a loose cannon narcissist, he had to walk this back after internet outrage (and because raping your wife actually is illegal), he said he was wrong and said this "in anger"

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Trump is far from the perfect candidate. But there is no option on this issue. The entire GOP/Dem field in 2016 fawns over Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    His lawyer is a loose cannon narcissist
    birds of a feather flock together

he had to walk this back after internet outrage (and because raping your wife actually is illegal), he said he was wrong and said this "in anger"
    Yes, he was just "inarticulate."

Looks like he needs a dictionary as well as a copy of the New York State statutes on rape..

... Its all fun and good talking about Trump, but this man takes so much attention that serious issues and candidates are overlooked in his stead.
    Ok. You don't find trade (jobs, industrial base), border (security, culture, economy, crime, entitlements/benefits ...), foreign military deployment issues to be serious. What issues are more important in your opinion?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sadler View Post
    Ok. You don't find trade (jobs, industrial base), border (security, culture, economy, crime, entitlements/benefits ...), foreign military deployment issues to be serious. What issues are more important in your opinion?
    Not when Trump is talking about it. Yes, building a fence on the southern border and making Mexico pay for it is such a genius idea that I have always wondered why nobody else thought about it. Next to that, threatening our number 1 sovereign bond buyer is also a genius move that I remain speechless about it.

The man is a clown and nothing he talks about makes any kind of sense.

You said ...

... Its all fun and good talking about Trump, but this man takes so much attention that serious issues and candidates are overlooked in his stead.
    I asked ...

Quote Originally Posted by David Sadler View Post
    ... and you replied ...

Not when Trump is talking about it. Yes, building a fence on the southern border and making Mexico pay for it is such a genius idea that I have always wondered why nobody else thought about it. Next to that, threatening our number 1 sovereign bond buyer is also a genius move that I remain speechless about it.

The man is a clown and nothing he talks about makes any kind of sense.
    You've expressed your opinion of his issues. Would you cite what issues are more serious and more important to you -- to qualify your opinion of the importance of Trump's issues?

A rape accusation might be positive for Trump, because it might help him attract the Bill Clinton voters.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    A rape accusation might be positive for Trump, because it might help him attract the Bill Clinton voters.
    #Trumpsupporterslogic
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    If I read the headline correctly, it was the Trump Lawyer saying it not Trump himself. But when your lawyer is this ignorant of the law, no wonder why Trump acts like his $#@! didn't stink.

Its all fun and good talking about Trump, but this man takes so much attention that serious issues and candidates are overlooked in his stead.
    Other than Rand Paul, what serious candidates are there?

I don't think voters care as much about issues as they do voting against what they hate.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Donald Trump battles to keep his divorce records under wraps after accusation of rape retracted by first wife
    Two newspapers have requested to see the court records to gain more transparency on the Republican presidential candidate

Donald Trump is engaged in another lawsuit to keep the details of his divorce from Ivana Trump out of the public eye.

The New York real estate mogul turned presidential candidate divorced his first wife and the mother of his three eldest children in 1990, and 26 years later publications including the New York Times have requested to view the papers.

The request comes as Mr Trump is also being called upon to release his tax returns, evidence of his donations of “millions of dollars” to charity and his full medical report.

The publications seeking the divorce papers argued that they needed more evidence as to how Mr Trump treated his ex-wife following her accusation that he raped her in 1989.

Mr Trump denied the claim and Ms Trump later retracted the allegation, saying she had not meant rape “in the criminal sense”.

Their divorce was granted on the ground of “cruel and inhuman treatment” and they reached an undisclosed settlement.

Further transparency on the candidate is also in the public interest, argue the New York Times and the Gannett newspaper, following his controversial and "sexist" comments about women, with whom he is ranking low in the polls.

State law mandates that divorce records only should be made public “under special circumstances”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a7294071.html
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

All this is just desperate haters trying to latch on to anything to justify why they were so wrong on their predictions and trying to feel relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    All this is just desperate haters trying to latch on to anything to justify why they were so wrong on their predictions and trying to feel relevant.
    Actually, they've been trying to get these records for a while now.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    Well, Bill Clinton was a rapist and he still got to be President...

Funny right. Everything they try to pin on Trump, when you put Clinton next to him it is so much worse for Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Actually, they've been trying to get these records for a while now.
    You still a discredited liar on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.