Thread: Vermin Supreme "running legit"-deserves more attention this election cycle on RPFs

Vermin Supreme "running legit"-deserves more attention this election cycle on RPFs

May 22, 2014 BOSTON—The serenity of a perfect spring afternoon was interrupted Saturday when hundreds of bloody zombies invaded Boston Common, storming across couples' picnic blankets, halting buskers' guitar strumming, and terrifying parents in town to visit their sons and daughters at college.
    Providing the apocalyptic soundtrack for Boston's annual Zombie March—atonal feedback broadcast through his megaphone—is a bearded man wearing a boot on his head, a man who resembles some kind of demented Santa Claus. This is Vermin Supreme, and this is how he campaigns for president. Of the United States. Of America.
    Supreme, an eccentric performance artist and perennial political candidate, had a breakthrough year during his latest bid for the presidency in 2012 (former New York gubernatorial candidate Jimmy "The Rent is Too Damn High" McMillan was his running mate). Supreme finished third in the New Hampshire Democratic primary with 833 votes, and could be seen taunting Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum outside their events.
    For the show, he was profiled in major publications the world over, immortalized in merchandise and Internet memes, became the subject of a new documentary and upcoming series of video games, and has started giving speeches at colleges on the history of political satire. Even Highlights magazine, the wholesome staple of pediatric waiting rooms, featured a cartoon wizard holding a toothbrush that seems derivative of Supreme.
    So how could Supreme (that is his real, legal name), who has been mocking the political system by mocking himself for years in increasingly over-the-top stunts, possibly one-up his 2012 success? For 2016, he wants to do something even crazier and more brazen than anything he's attempted before: Go legit—at least sort of.

Supreme is running for president again in 2016, but this time he hopes to earn enough support to secure potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in matching funds from the Federal Election Commission, courtesy of taxpayers who choose to chip in $3 on their annual tax return.

To meet the federal requirements for the money, Supreme will need to raise at least $5,000 in small donations from at least 20 states, for a minimum total of $100,000. If he succeeds, the government will match every contribution under $250 dollar-for-dollar, meaning the man whose platform includes a zombie-based energy plan would suddenly have more than $200,000 to spend on psychedelic ads like this. (He would not qualify for matching funds in a general election).

For 2016, he wants to do something even crazier and more brazen than anything he's attempted before: Go legit—at least sort of.

"It would be a real mark of legitimacy," he tells me.
    It would also be a tall order for someone whose previous presidential campaigns have been narrowly focused on New Hampshire, and who has never raised more than a few thousands dollars, meaning he didn't even have to file a report with the FEC.
    But Supreme is confident he can turn his Internet fame and growing grassroots fandom into something resembling a national campaign. He recently embarked on a 20-city tour to build support, where he found willing volunteers in far-flung locales. He's already lined up potential state directors in Oklahoma, North Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee, New Hampshire, and his home state of Massachusetts, and says there are many more to come soon.
    He realizes how this might look to some and worries that, if he is successful, he'll be used by opponents of public campaign financing as Exhibit A for why the system should be shut down. "That's something I have to think about," he says.

Nonetheless, at least among the 200 or 300 people who chose to spend a weekend afternoon rampaging through downtown Boston dressed as zombies, Supreme found plenty of support. As we marched west from South Station, Supreme could hardly walk more than a dozen yards without someone—whether a zombie or innocent bystander—stopping him to take a picture, shake his hand, or offer a word of encouragement.

These admirers are almost exclusively young—many not even old enough to vote yet—and thoroughly steeped in online culture. "I recognize you from the Internet!" one eager college student exclaimed in a typical interaction.
    Al Gore may have invented the Internet, Howard Dean may have pioneered its use in political campaigns, and Barack Obama may have perfected it, but Vermin Supreme is the only presidential candidate whose entire public existence was born, lives, and could die thanks to the World Wide Web. Its denizens are his base, and without them he would just be a crazy guy with a boot on his head. "So go the geeks, so go the country," he said.
    Supreme can pinpoint the exact moment when he went from "man to meme," as he likes to say. It was December 19, 2011, at the Lesser Known Presidential Candidates Forum hosted by the New Hampshire Institute of Politics at St. Anselm College. With the famed boot atop his head and a ludicrous number of ties around his neck, Supreme sprinkled glitter on social conservative activist Randall Terry, who was also running as a Democratic presidential candidate, explaining that Jesus told him to turn Terry gay.

Videos of the glitter bombing garnered millions of views, and Supreme quickly became a favorite on Internet forums. "This man has my vote. Vermin Supreme 2012!" read one post that made it to the front page of Reddit.
    "If there aren't more pictures of me on the Internet, I'll cease to exist."

But Supreme gives special credit to the Bronies, a online subculture of adult men who are fans of "My Little Pony," for sustaining his Internet fame. A key plank in Supreme's platform is to give every American a pony, so the Bronies were a natural source of support.
    Did Supreme set out to achieve Internet greatness? "Hell no," he said with a laugh. "If I had seen it coming, I would have gotten my merch line up and running sooner." Then, he and the horde of zombies who were following him like a demonic Pied Piper marched past the boutiques in the upscale Copley Place shopping mall.
    It's difficult to gauge how earnest his support is here. Most admirers just seem delighted to see this weird person from the Internet "IRL"—In Real Life, in online parlance. And Supreme himself has his tongue planted firmly in cheek. As a favorite slogan of his goes, "A vote for Vermin Supreme is a vote completely wasted."
    But he does seem to tap into a growing discontent among young people with President Obama, mainstream political parties, and politics in general. I asked a zombie high school senior from the area if he would really cast the very first presidential ballot of his life for Supreme, instead of a more serious politician. "Why not? They're all jokes anyway," he replied.
    And Supreme, the antiestablishmentarian prankster, is happy to be an avatar of millennial dissatisfaction.
    But in order to carry out his big plans for 2016, he'll have to continue to capture the attention of the fickle Reddit user. It's why he rode the train an hour from his home to participate in the zombie march. "Meme maintenance," he explained. "If there aren't more pictures of me on the Internet, I'll cease to exist."
    As VS's campaign gets more serious, RPFs should give him more attention. He's the only genuinely, entirely honest politician I'm aware of. (no offense, RP) Since there's no 100% Ron Paulian running, Vermin Supreme FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Noted. Thanks! ~hugs~
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Why the one star hate?

Who wouldn't want a pony?

FWIW, I met the man and spoke with him a bit at the St. Anselm debate back in 2011.

Interesting dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why the one star hate?

Who wouldn't want a pony?

FWIW, I met the man and spoke with him a bit at the St. Anselm debate back in 2011.

Interesting dude.
    Methinks someone takes themselves too seriously. I'm very much looking forward to my free pony. Let's hope the tooth brushing mandate makes mouthbreathers (tend to be kops, ya know) more pleasant to interact with.

HB you should ask Vermin to do a RPF's reddit style Ask Me Anything (AMA). I'd like to ask if I could just get a mouthwash exemption under his administration.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    HB you should ask Vermin to do a RPF's reddit style Ask Me Anything (AMA). I'd like to ask if I could just get a mouthwash exemption under his administration.
    Know his/his staff's contact info? Get that to me and I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Know his/his staff's contact info? Get that to me and I'll give it a go.
    First google hit....

VERMIN SUPREME 2016
    RIDING OUR PONIES INTO A ZOMBIE POWERED FUTURE.

https://verminsupreme2016.wordpress.com/contact/

Twitter @verminsupreme
    facebook https://www.facebook.com/vermin.supreme.1

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First google hit....

VERMIN SUPREME 2016
    RIDING OUR PONIES INTO A ZOMBIE POWERED FUTURE.

https://verminsupreme2016.wordpress.com/contact/

Twitter @verminsupreme
    facebook https://www.facebook.com/vermin.supreme.1
    Thanks! I pm-ed the campaign about this via FB. Will let you know if/when I get a response.

ETA: Got a reply!

a few seconds ago

i hope to do one around Labor Day or so.

Chat Conversation End
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-28-2015 at 10:32 PM.

I would never miss a press conference ...

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

update:

Thanks! I pm-ed the campaign about this via FB. Will let you know if/when I get a response.

ETA: Got a reply!
    A reddit AMA or an RPF AMA?

A reddit AMA or an RPF AMA?
    reddit.
    My question:
    Mr. Supreme, I am writing on behalf of myself and another fellow interested in your campaign. We would like you to host a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) style event so your supporters and fans around the world can ask you questions. Thank you!
    VS reply:
    i hope to do one around Labor Day or so.

I will post new developments as they unfold. I kinda feel like a journalist...or something...

I kinda feel like a journalist...or something...
    Standards are falling even faster than I thought.

But naw, that's pretty cool. Vermin can at least claim that he's the most down-to-Earth guy running. He's realistic with his goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

But Supreme gives special credit to the Bronies, a online subculture of adult men who are fans of "My Little Pony," for sustaining his Internet fame. A key plank in Supreme's platform is to give every American a pony, so the Bronies were a natural source of support.
    If Vermin Supreme wants to be taken seriously with any kind of legitimacy, he's gonna have to find a more respectable base. Otherwise people will judge him by his supporters.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    If Vermin Supreme wants to be taken seriously with any kind of legitimacy, he's gonna have to find a more respectable base. Otherwise people will judge him by his supporters.
    No doubt! Hopefully he can get enough donations to hire actors to pretend to be supporters at rallys, adverts, and such-like "real" candidates do.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

No doubt! Hopefully he can get enough donations to hire actors to pretend to be supporters at rallys, adverts, and such-like "real" candidates do.
    That sounds like a great idea. I took acting in H.S. and even played Detective Harry Baxter in 'Busybody.' I feel my vast skills gleaned from that lifetime of work in 1982 has more than adequately prepared me for this role. I am willing to discuss pay. As a bonus I am not a member of any Union.

Hell, I'd take that gig! And I wouldn't even have to pretend to be a supporter ...

Free Ponies and Zombie Power FTW!!! #StandWithVermin

I'm down.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Hell, I'd take that gig! And I wouldn't even have to pretend to be a supporter ...

Free Ponies and Zombie Power FTW!!! #StandWithVermin
    I imagine you'd have to fake enthusiasm so's to make it look like you're part of a "real" grassroots movement thing. Rather like the "astroturf" support at other folks' rallys.

Id take VS over 99% of the other jackasses running.

No VS/JM subforum yet? C'mon, people! We need free ponies and zombie power! VERMIN SUPREME 2016 FTW!!!11!!!1!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I still think we need a VS subforum 'round here.

Turns out, you can book VS for your upcoming event with the form here: https://verminsupreme2016.wordpress.com/contact/ I would totally have this guy at my bachelor's party if I ever get married. Probably a good birthday show too.