Thread: Bugs for dinner? I'll have a side of ants with that

Bugs for dinner? I'll have a side of ants with that

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/world/...ess/index.html

Pan-roasted red ant is a delicacy in Mexico, and a dish of sautéed mopane worms would not raise an eyebrow across Southern Africa. Over two billion people eat insects routinely but converting Western consumers to the joys of entomophagy remains a hard sell.

North America's first edible insect farm has taken up the challenge and a booming production line is reaching new markets across the continent and Europe.

In January 2014, Jarrod Goldin along with his brothers Ryan and Darren, launched Next Millennium Farms (NMF), inspired by a landmark U.N. report which recommended insects for human consumption, and the success of cricket flour entrepreneur Pat Crowley on U.S. TV show Shark Tank.

NMF began 2014 with 5,000 square feet for mealworms and finished with $65,000 in sales. Goldin says another 60,000 square feet has since been added to farm crickets, with sales of both exceeding $100,000 a month in 2015.

Most revenue comes from wholesaling insect flour to established brands and emerging start-ups in the United States.

NMF also ships to private consumers across North America, Australia and Europe and actively engages with its customers online through social media and community forums.

"It's a massive range," says Goldin. "Grandmothers, culinary groups, teenagers, hippies, people into health and the environment, people who want to play tricks on their friends."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've had chocolate covered ants before. I'll eat anything covered in chocolate.

I've heard big spiders taste like crab - I'd eat the hell out of some spiders, too. About the only bug that looks like it tastes gross are those giant cockroaches. It seems like they would squirt when you eat them and I find that unappealing. I don't care for food that squirts guts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

I've heard big spiders taste like crab - I'd eat the hell out of some spiders, too. About the only bug that looks like it tastes gross are those giant cockroaches. It seems like they would squirt when you eat them and I find that unappealing. I don't care for food that squirts guts.
    *shudders* OMG! *runs out of this thread*
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I eat protein bars made with cricket flour regularly.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

We share the same attitude - no problem with the idea of eating bugs but not too hot on gushy texture.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    *scoots over in the no bugs at the table, table and hands Donnay a fly swatter*
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    *scoots over in the no bugs at the table, table and hands Donnay a fly swatter*
    Fine, be that way but when the SHTF me and Acala will be eating like kings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.