Thread: What would happen If Bernie Sanders was Elected for POTUS?

Question What would happen If Bernie Sanders was Elected for POTUS?

If Bernie Sanders is president, what would happen to our economy, Constitution, taxation,foreign policy/aid and etc?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cultural progressivism along morally relativistic lines would continue, the stock market would drop,
    the dollar would tighten, and foreign policy would be seemingly more dovish, but we'd have to pay
    close attention there.
    I actually favor Sanders on fiscal policy more than the Republicans, but I cannot vote for him
    due to social issues.

I SWAG he would be assassinated.

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post
    If Bernie Sanders is president, what would happen to our economy, Constitution, taxation,foreign policy/aid and etc?
    The economy would tank and we'd likely have to resort to rationing in a manner reminiscent of 1970s Chile. I would likewise guess that taxation would go through the roof on everybody not on welfare, our foreign policy would probably closely resemble Bill Clinton's as despite Sanders' allegedly dovish viewpoints he'd probably get suckered into another humanitarian mission in Africa like the one in Somalia, not to mention a mega-ton of cash being flushed away on foreign aid boondoggles in said region. Our constitution would be selectively enforced, we might enjoy a degree of 4th Amendment protections, but Sanders' "progressive" views would probably be detrimental to several 1st Amendment liberties and probably more so on the 9th and 10 Amendments.

Honestly, I don't think Sanders would be any better than Obama or Clinton, and anyone who considers themselves an advocate of bettering America's internal or foreign policy situation and supports him is gloriously stupid.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Not much different from where we are heading. I don' think there would be a drastic change.

I would move I suppose.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

What would happen if Bernie Sanders was elected POTUS?
    Nothing profoundly or significantly different. Same as if anyone else was elected POTUS.

POTUS is not the helmsman of the ship of State - he's just the figurehead on the prow.

(And if you'll allow me to mix metaphors, Congress is the peanut gallery ...)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Sanders is better than Hillary. nothing bad could happen if the GOP congress blocked him. surely the House remains GOP, maybe the senate also. Sanders would be better on foreign policy than Hillary, better than most Republicans. so he could propose a 95% income tax, let him. won't pass.

POTUS is not a figurehead. the power to prosecute and the power pardon are absolute, so a president could end the drug war etc. the veto power if used aggressively works wonders, as they are seldom overridden. and a commander in chief the president could close foreign bases any time. he could impose a hiring freeze.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    POTUS is not a figurehead. the power to prosecute and the power pardon are absolute, so a president could end the drug war etc. the veto power if used aggressively works wonders, as they are seldom overridden. and a commander in chief the president could close foreign bases any time. he could impose a hiring freeze.
    POTUS is a figurehead - and any President who tried to do those things to any degree significantly injurious to the interests of the establishment could be neutralized in any number of ways (sabotage of his policies from within the executive bureaucracy, judicial obstruction from the courts, impeachment, etc.). Just let any POTUS try, and we'll find out toot sweet where the equities of power really lay ...

impeachment is impossible now; Andrew Johnson survived, Bill Clinton easily survived, and Nixon could have survived if he fought it. the president has huge media power, and almost unlimited power in foreign policy. they just need backbone, and the willingness to accept they will be one term. I would actually like for Rand to do a Hayes, and promise to be one term , period.

Not much. None of his policy is possible for him to get past congress and implement. He has just about zero chance at potus anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post
    Less choices in deodorant and sneakers and no starving children. I read he would also work to improve voter turnout.

Feel the Bern!

What I find interesting is how Bernie goes on and on about starving children as the current FLOUTS tells us American children are obese. Just an observation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    impeachment is impossible now; Andrew Johnson survived, Bill Clinton easily survived, and Nixon could have survived if he fought it. the president has huge media power, and almost unlimited power in foreign policy. they just need backbone, and the willingness to accept they will be one term. I would actually like for Rand to do a Hayes, and promise to be one term , period.
    Impeachment IS possible, given that Johnson and Clinton were impeached in the House, and Nixon would have been had he not resigned. It's conviction in the Senate that's the problem---no conviction of a sitting President is possible, given the politics and the historic record.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

One word: Venezuela

Of course he would need Congress unless he took executive signing orders even further than Obama. Unfortunately he would have SCOTUS.

Utter utopia would ensue! Basically, perfection.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

He'd start repeating from memory FDR's better "fireside" chats because the Democratic Party has yet
    to approximate FDR's Four Freedoms in that they backslid from things a tad during the Cold War era?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.