Thread: Virgin Coconut Oil More Effective than Drugs in Combating Stress and Depression

Thumbs up Virgin Coconut Oil More Effective than Drugs in Combating Stress and Depression

Virgin Coconut Oil More Effective than Drugs in Combating Stress and Depression

Written By: Brian Shilhavy

Is it time for a new paradigm in mental health? Are non-drugs, like virgin coconut oil, a safter and more effective alternative to stress and depression?

A new study conducted in Malaysia looked at the effects of consuming high-antioxidant virgin coconut oil on mental health.

Published in the journal Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine and believed to be the first study of its kind, researchers evaluated the anti-stress and antioxidant effects of virgin coconut oil in mice with stress-induced injuries. The title of the study is "Antistress and antioxidant effects of virgin coconut oil in vivo."

The researchers performed several stress tests on groups of mice. Control groups included untreated mice and mice not subjected to stress, and virgin coconut oil was compared to a commonly prescribed psychiatric drug, Diazepam.

Their results were quite impressive, and suggest that using a high quality virgin coconut oil can rival antidepressant drugs without the dangerous side effects. The researchers attributed the success in treatment to the unique mixture of medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil, rich in saturated fats, and to the antioxidants present in higher grade, less processed virgin coconut oils.

While we do not endorse the supposed "science" behind psychiatric drugs, which attempts to measure such things as "neurotransmitters" and "biochemical profiles" as true indicators of mental health that can be altered by chemical drugs, it is encouraging to see researchers consider natural foods as alternatives, given the fact that they do not have all the serious side effects that psychiatric drugs do.

One of the more interesting tests conducted in this study was a measurement of "immobility time" after a forced swim test. The researchers found that the untreated mice had a longer immobility time than mice treated with virgin coconut oil. They attributed this to the high medium-chain fatty acid content of coconut oil, which is known to produce thermogenesis and increased energy.

One area where virgin coconut oil (VCO) really outperformed the drug Diazepam was in the area of oxidation and elimination of free radicals. This is something that can be measured with lipid peroxidation (MDA) and antioxidant enzyme SOD levels. Stress is known to increase oxidation and the creation of free radicals, leading to neuronal cell damage and death. Antioxidants, on the other hand, reverse this trend and help prevent further neuronal damage.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This I know from experience.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

I'm trying to convince my uncle to start taking coconut oil everyday. He has mild dementia, depression, and he's a bit chubby from eating out all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Hey

Another really GREAT reason to get to keep on eating my Mounds bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Hey

Another really GREAT reason to get to keep on eating my Mounds bars.
    Almond Joy's are better.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

If you're taking it to combat stress and depression, then by definition it is a drug. So how can it be more effective than a drug?

While we do not endorse the supposed "science" behind psychiatric drugs, which attempts to measure such things as "neurotransmitters" and "biochemical profiles" as true indicators of mental health that can be altered by chemical drugs, it is encouraging to see researchers consider natural foods as alternatives, given the fact that they do not have all the serious side effects that psychiatric drugs do.
    This sentence is a comedic gift that just keeps on giving. Just for kicks, who paid for this study?
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-25-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm trying to convince my uncle to start taking coconut oil everyday. He has mild dementia, depression, and he's a bit chubby from eating out all the time.
    take it to him. Tell him it will work in a day.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If you're taking it to combat stress and depression, then by definition it is a drug. So how can it be more effective than a drug?
    let thy food be thy medicine?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

What's the dosage per day?

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    What's the dosage per day?
    I consume about 2 tsp of nutiva organic coconut oil daily usually at breakfast;

nutiva is by far the good $#@!

I emulsify one tsp in my coffee.
    I fry my eggs in a tsp.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    let thy food be thy medicine?
    That's against her religion.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

By the way, even refined coconut oil works. It's the type of fat what produces the effect. Refined is easier to cook with because it doesn't provide an unwanted coconut taste to some foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    If he has excess iron stores, he would benefit from donating blood.

Unfortunately ferritin is rarely tested so he won't see documentation to know what's going on either way. The test is not even among the most expensive.
    Last edited by jj-; 07-25-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I consume about 2 tsp of nutiva organic coconut oil daily usually at breakfast;

nutiva is by far the good $#@!

I emulsify one tsp in my coffee.
    I fry my eggs in a tsp.

Ditto here.

I love it in my coffee.

2 table spoons here.
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    2 table spoons here.
    I read you used coconut oil for a relative, I think. Checking their ferritin may be good, to see if they have a lot of iron stores and in that case donate blood. It could benefit too.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    I read you used coconut oil for a relative, I think. Checking their ferritin may be good, to see if they have a lot of iron stores and in that case donate blood. It could benefit too.
    yes my mother. She is frail and would not do well to donate blood
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    yes my mother. She is frail and would not do well to donate blood
    There is a thing called therapeutic phlebotomy, with this approach one can remove small amounts of blood gradually.

It might be worth it if she has a lot of iron stores (measured by ferritin). Not saying she does, but women are more likely to have it as they get older.

Valium qualifies a psychiatric drug too? I thought it was a basic tranquilizer.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Valium qualifies a psychiatric drug too? I thought it was a basic tranquilizer.
    Valium is a common brand name for Diazepam, which is an anti-anxiety, anti-convulsant, and muscle relaxant.

What is diazepam?

Diazepam is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

Diazepam is used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms, or muscle spasms. Diazepam is sometimes used with other medications to treat seizures.

Diazepam may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
    Source