Thread: Rand Paul Pushes Ahead To Defund Planned Parenthood, Circumvent McConnell Blocking

Rand Paul Pushes Ahead To Defund Planned Parenthood, Circumvent McConnell Blocking

RAND PAUL PUSHES AHEAD TO DEFUND PLANNED PARENTHOOD, CIRCUMVENT MITCH MCCONNELL BLOCKING OF AMENDMENTS

by MATTHEW BOYLE
    24 Jul 2015

Senate Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is coming under fire from his home state colleague, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) —a GOP presidential candidate—as well, not just from Paul’s 2016 rival Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

Paul tried to get the floor to stand up and offer an amendment to defund Planned Parenthood and another one to arm servicemen and women on military bases. He intended to offer these measures as amendments to the highway bill that is currently on the Senate floor. Whoever was presiding over the floor refused to recognize Paul to offer his amendments.

Paul has been speaking out on both of these subjects for quite some time, and since the Senate is now taking up what is considered a “must pass” piece of legislation, funding the country’s highway and mass transit systems—a massive bill that spends hundreds of billions of dollars over the next 10 years—it’s an opportunity for senators to get things onto it that can further whatever their agenda might be. Of course, as Cruz has exposed all day Friday, McConnell has used the bill to reauthorize the crony capitalist Export Import Bank. But McConnell is blocking using it to defund Planned Parenthood or to block sanctuary cities or to arm military officers on base.

Senate leaders instead of using that as a vehicle to fight for the unborn and for gun rights to protect our soldiers, instead used a maneuver now Senate Minority Leader Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) made common called “filling the tree” wherein they blocked all other amendments including Paul’s planned amendments.

Sources in the U.S. Senate tell Breitbart News, however, that Paul isn’t taking this lying down.

read more:
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...of-amendments/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

He helps McConnell get elected and now this..........

Horrible horrible person who keeps getting re-elected. The GOP is really showing its true colors; totally controlled by big money, do not care about American citizens at all, do not care what their own base thinks or wants...I may have to stop voting completely.

Rand and a couple of other candidates are beginning to listen. I don't have a ton of confidence that they can get anything done about these issues, but it's good that they are listening.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Why is Rand seemingly so passionate about the stupid edge issues I couldn't care less about, and basically silent on the important things like peace with Iran?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Why is Rand seemingly so passionate about the stupid edge issues I couldn't care less about, and basically silent on the important things like peace with Iran?
    because people ARE stupid, and Rand needs this demographic...

next.

Because he's carefully trying to get a piece of the GOP base on his side or to vote for him, which an edge issue can energize. Peace with Iran will basically take care of itself because of the nuclear deal, which will probably get past Congressional opposition. Whereas if Rand openly embraces the deal, it will be spun by the hawks that he's "weak on Iran/defense" and aligned with Obama, thus costing him primary votes.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Because you are one voter, and as such you can't decide an election that tens of millions of people participate in, maybe?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Good article , thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Other excerpts . . .
    Planned Parenthood gets over $500 million a year in taxpayer funding.

. . . in addition to Paul’s effort to go around McConnell for a vote to defund Planned Parenthood,
    more damning videos—like the ones showing the organization’s executives sought to sell baby body parts for cash
    or for a Lamborghini sports car—may be coming . . .

While a standalone bill to defund Planned Parenthood is snaking its way through the Senate Rule 14 process, it’s not because McConnell put it there—Senate sources tell Breitbart News it’s because Sen. Paul put it there and McConnell had nothing to do with it.

What actually happened is Paul filed a new bill to defund Planned Parenthood under Senate Rule 14 which places a bill immediately on the calendar.
    Senate rules require McConnell to then read Senator Paul’s maneuver on the bill into the record before adjourning for the day—
    it’s not as if McConnell did so by choice.
    Check . . . how many moves until Checkmate (?)

And get this spin . . . from a self-proclaimed progressive - apparently a Hillary/Rachel Maddow goon imo
    . . . called Emily Crockett, no less - what a "crock" of $#@! -
    the Planned Parenthood defunding measure by Rand and Cruz and others is now gonna be called "anti-choice" . . . it was bound to happen I guess.
    Paul (R-KY) and his anti-choice colleague Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), both 2016 presidential contenders, have aggressively pushed
    to deny federal funding to Planned Parenthood in recent days, (citing)
    heavily edited video footage released by an anti-choice front group.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) dismissed the videos as a phony controversy this week,
    and House Democrats have called for the Attorney General to investigate
    the Center for Medical Progress,
    the anti-choice group behind the videos...

hxxp://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/07/24/senate-fast-tracks-bill-defund-planned-parenthood/
    Last edited by Jan2017; 07-24-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo

Senator Rand Paul Implements ‘Rule 14′ to Fast-Track His Bill to Defund Planned Parenthood

Jason Howerton
    Jul. 24, 2015 5:39pm

Following through on his vow to defund Planned Parenthood, Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has introduced legislation to strip the abortion provider of federal funding. The bill is now being fast-tracked after the Kentucky senator invoked “Rule 14” on Friday, clearing the way for a floor vote as early as next week, a spokesman for the Rand Paul campaign confirmed to TheBlaze.

“Since the inhumane acts of Planned Parenthood have surfaced, I have vowed to defeat and defund this taxpayer-funded organization. I am more appalled than ever by Planned Parenthood’s complete disregard for the sanctity of human life,” Paul said in a statement. “Today, I implemented Rule 14 and fast-tracked legislation to strip every dollar of Planned Parenthood funding. I will continue to lead this charge in defense of the unborn.”

As the The Hill explains, Rule 14 allows the legislation to “skip the committee process and be placed on the Senate calendar so it can be brought up for a floor vote.”

read more:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...ed-parenthood/

80% of voters are AGAINST what PP has been shown to be doing.

The only person stupid here is you suggesting he not get the attention of 80% of ALL voters.

I'm not sure what he gains pushing allowing guns on bases, though

I did some research on the issue and it seems a lot of people in the military are against having guns on bases. They said there are a lot of fights in the barracks' and you don't want weapons to be handy there. I was never in the military so I can't say. I hope he is getting good advice on battles to pick.

Now, a recruiting station in a mall, I could see that being less of a wedge issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    80% of voters are AGAINST what PP has been shown to be doing.

The only person stupid here is you suggesting he not get the attention of 80% of ALL voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Good article , thanks.

Other excerpts . . .
    Check . . . how many moves until Checkmate (?)

And get this spin . . . from a self-proclaimed progressive - apparently a Hillary/Rachel Maddow goon imo
    . . . called Emily Crockett, no less - what a "crock" of $#@! -
    the Planned Parenthood defunding measure by Rand and Cruz and others is now gonna be called "anti-choice" . . . it was bound to happen I guess.
    hxxp://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/07/24/senate-fast-tracks-bill-defund-planned-parenthood/
    If progressives want to play word games then just call them pro-death/anti-children or whatever buzzword that has the most impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    If progressives want to play word games then just call them pro-death/anti-children or whatever buzzword that has the most impact.
    How about "murderers"?

And Rand needs to be talking about overturning Roe V. Wade, not just defunding PP.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

I wonder if we'll get an answer from Rand. This alliance is screwing him up bigtime.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/...ed-parenthood/

Last edited by AuH20; 07-25-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I wonder if we'll get an answer from Rand. This alliance is screwing him up bigtime.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/...ed-parenthood/

I don't remember an alliance where Mcconnell promised to support Rand in everything he did. They each have their agendas and will work together where they agree. Just because Rand endorsed Mcconnell, does not mean Rand gets everything he wants.

Whoever expected this much should consider lowering their expectations, especially in this game.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What I don't understand is why the Republican establishment does not want to defund PP? Are they and the corporatists making money off of PP? Are the GOP establishment involved with the companies buying the body parts? Are these companies lobbyists? It's always about money, so there has to be a connection. Does anyone have any info on this? Otherwise, it makes no sense, as they would get support from the the members of their party by supporting defunding....something is going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by squirl22 View Post
    What I don't understand is why the Republican establishment does not want to defund PP? Are they and the corporatists making money off of PP? Are the GOP establishment involved with the companies buying the body parts? Are these companies lobbyists? It's always about money, so there has to be a connection. Does anyone have any info on this? Otherwise, it makes no sense, as they would get support from the the members of their party by supporting defunding....something is going on here.
    CFR

Population Control. It's all one big happy family.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-25-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Because it would only further the pro-life agenda. If Planned Parenthood gets defunded, than that would just turn up the heat among pro-lifers in the fight to ban abortion all together. Overturning abortion would be a nightmare for the Republican establishment, and no matter what they say on the campaign trail, they desperately do not want it to happen. It would be political suicide to overturn Roe v. Wade. A large number of pro-lifers, particularly Catholics, would flock back to the Democratic Party, who in their view does a better job of serving the poor, and welcoming to immigrants. As long as pro-lifers automatically vote Republican, why would the establishment want to risk losing that support?

That is the establishment's dirty little secret. I mean think about it, if the Republicans are serious about ending abortion, they could have done it a long time ago. Under Bush from 2003-2007, Republicans controlled the House, the Senate, and had appointed 7 out of 9 Supreme Court justices, yet nothing of substance was done. The Republican Party being committed to the abortion fight is one of the greatest delusions in American politics.
    Last edited by Libertyloyal; 07-25-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    He helps McConnell get elected and now this..........
    Yeah really, I think the thought at the time was, McConnell was supposed to come through on helping Rand get some fundraising money, but I think we all know by now that didn't work out either...

Quote Originally Posted by Libertyloyal View Post
    Because it would only further the pro-life agenda. If Planned Parenthood gets defunded, than that would just turn up the heat among pro-lifers in the fight to ban abortion all together. Overturning abortion would be a nightmare for the Republican establishment, and no matter what they say on the campaign trail, they desperately do not want it to happen. It would be political suicide to overturn Roe v. Wade. A large number of pro-lifers, particularly Catholics, would flock back to the Democratic Party, who in their view does a better job of serving the poor, and welcoming to immigrants. As long as pro-lifers automatically vote Republican, why would the establishment want to risk losing that support?

That is the establishment's dirty little secret. I mean think about it, if the Republicans are serious about ending abortion, they could have done it a long time ago. Under Bush from 2003-2007, Republicans controlled the House, the Senate, and had appointed 7 out of 9 Supreme Court justices, yet nothing of substance was done. The Republican Party being committed to the abortion fight is one of the greatest delusions in American politics.
    Excellent point.

+1

Republicans are cowards...and underneath it all, they agree with public funding of everything, including abortions.

This is very laudable by Rand. I signed the petition and called the offices of my GOP senator, Mark Kirk. But Kirk is a committed establishment globalist. Liberty-minded individuals get no satisfaction from Kirk on anything.

Jan2017

Well he won't even get asked about this at the debate now though -
    Faux News' Chris Wallace could only point out Rand's failed efforts this morning -
    Carly's their go to gal on this issue from now on . . . Go figure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQ1R4difLw

Rand mentions how he chided his church as a teenager . . .
    some of ya' may not have seen it yet.

Rand: I defy those who are careless - who would disregard life, look at these tiny little miracles and say "We're not gonna protect that"
    Rand: "I will be in earnest - I will not equivocate and I will not excuse - I will not retreat an inch and I will be heard"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Well he won't even get asked about this at the debate now though -
    Faux News' Chris Wallace could only point out Rand's failed efforts this morning -
    Carly's their go to gal on this issue from now on . . . Go figure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQ1R4difLw

Rand mentions how he chided his church as a teenager . . .
    some of ya' may not have seen it yet.

Rand: I defy those who are careless - who would disregard life, look at these tiny little miracles and say "We're not gonna protect that"
    Rand: "I will be in earnest - I will not equivocate and I will not excuse - I will not retreat an inch and I will be heard"
    That's an absolutely awesome video! Love it.