Thread: Mass official who painted over fading crosswalks slammed for having 'no respect fo

Mass official who painted over fading crosswalks slammed for having 'no respect fo

Massachusetts official who painted over fading crosswalks got slammed for having 'no respect for the governmental process'

BOSTON (Reuters) - A Massachusetts town selectman who painted over fading crosswalks in his town in response to complaints from constituents was criminally charged on Tuesday for his efforts.

George Simolaris, a selectman in Billerica, about 25 miles from Boston, said he was tired of constituents asking when the white paint would be freshened up, so he fixed the problem himself. He said he bought cans of green paint, the town's official color, and spent the weekend painting over six faded crosswalks.

"All I've heard for months is: 'When is this going to get done?'" Simolaris said. "I got sick of it."

Police and town officials said painting the street without authorization was illegal and charged him with two counts of destruction of property, according to Billerica police spokesman Roy Frost.

Town Manager John Curran said the town was in the midst of a $400,000 pedestrian safety project that requires digging up the street including some of the crosswalks in question, which are slated to be repainted once construction is complete.

He added that Simolaris would be required to repay the $4,000 cost of cleaning up the paint, which he said chipped and smeared.

"His job is to uphold laws not break them," Curran said. "He has no respect for the governmental process."

Simolaris defended his actions.

"I'm just trying to do right by the people in my town," he said. "I didn't think I was intervening in other people's day-to-day activities or doing anything wrong."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/r-mas...#ixzz3gp6ufByn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That dude needs to spank the "town officials" with his paint pole............SMH

No good deed goes unpunished, especially if it usurps or challenges the arbitrary authority of someone in gov'ment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Some places in Taxachussets are apparently paying over $2.30 per $100 assessed value in real estate taxes.
    My Northern VA taxes are really freaking high at $1.09.
    Plus better than 6% state sales tax.
    Not sure how much state income tax is....

Next time he should just tell everyone complaining what address to visit to find out where all that money is going, and not just cover up the fact that it's being squandered.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Chester Copperpot

i ind it funny that for months the town cant get its act together and paint over some lines... but the minute somebody else does it for them for free well they spring into action and charge him criminally immediately. wtf