Thread: Rand Paul Hits U.S. ‘Over-Criminalization’ System

Rand Paul Hits U.S. ‘Over-Criminalization’ System

Rand Paul Hits U.S. ‘Over-Criminalization’ System
    By Fred Lucas - Jul. 22, 2015

Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul gave a conservative argument about property rights and keeping people off the government dole as he talked about criminal justice reform Wednesday.

Still, the Kentucky senator has departed from much of his party on the issue of restoring voting rights for felons.

“The biggest impediment to either employment or voting is a criminal record and until we address that, I don’t think we are serious about voting rights or getting people back to work and minimizing how many people need to be on assistance,” Paul told a bipartisan summit in Washington sponsored by the Coalition for Public Safety. “To help people work and help people vote, we’ve got to fix the over-criminalization system.”
    Paul cited the case of Kalief Browder, a teen who spent three years on Rikers Island without trial before committing suicide.

“If we are going to be a country that defends the Bill of Rights, we have to defend the Sixth Amendment, which means you get a right to a trial, and you get a right to a speedy trial,” Paul said.
    “We need to make sure everybody in our country has their day in court, gets a lawyer and gets a trial,” Paul continued. “This is something so fundamental that it should be all parties involved.”

Paul talked about a number of reforms, but said despite bipartisan support, the most likely changes to get through Congress now are civil asset forfeiture and police body cameras.

On the government’s seizure of assets, Paul referenced a $1.5 million hotel that was seized, but also talked about the home of a poor grandmother that was taken because her grandson sold drugs from the house.
    “We have to change the law that says you will never have your property taken unless you are convicted of a crime,” Paul said to applause.
    More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...zation-system/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul should hire somebody whose sole job is to slap him in the face for however many times he utters the phrase "I think" in an interview or speech.

“We need to make sure everybody in our country has their day in court, gets a lawyer and gets a trial,”

Ummmmmmm,

Less than 2% of people arrested and charged go to trial and of those who do only a miniscule amount are represented by competent counsel...

So funny people still believe government is for anything but oppressing the good honest people.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Rand Paul should hire somebody whose sole job is to slap him in the face for however many times he utters the phrase "I think" in an interview or speech.
    This would be a good use of campaign finances.