Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Madison hack exposes millions of users [updated]

Obama administration emails found in Ashley Madison data dump

By Pete Kasperowicz • 8/19/15

Hundreds of email addresses from the Obama White House and key federal agencies appear to have been uncovered in a leaked list of clients who use Ashley Madison, the website that encourages people to sign up for a chance to cheat on their spouse.

Hackers broke into the cheating website, and late Tuesday, Wired.com reported that information on 32 million users was posted on a "dark" website used by well-known hackers. The data includes much of the personal information of the alleged users, and one link made available breaks the data down into how many clients come from various government websites.

According to that link, thousands of members of the U.S. military appear to be clients of Ashley Madison. But there also appear to be hundreds of users from other key agencies, including the White House.
    The list says there are 44 emails registered on the Ashley Madison site with a "WhiteHouse.gov" address.

The largest non-military user of Ashley Madison appears to be the Department of Veterans Affairs. The leaked summary shows 104 emails from "va.gov."

The Federal Bureau of Prisons is close behind, with 88 emails. The U.S. Postal Service shows 52 emails, and the Department of Homeland Security has 45.

The cheating website also has 42 emails registered from the Social Security Administration, 33 from the State Department, and six from the IRS.
    More: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ob...rticle/2570457
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hackers Post What Appears To Be All of the Stolen Ashley Madison Account Data
    Written by Nicholas Deleon - August 18, 2015

Its always a weenie party.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FOX was reporting earlier that all those good looking women on their advertisements were not members of the site, but really guys posing as women. Just in case you guys on this forum were cheating with Eve, it was really Steve.
    Last edited by Dianne; 08-19-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    FOX was reporting earlier that all those good looking women on their advertisements were not members of the site, but really guys posing as women. Just in case you guys on this forum were cheating with Eve, it was really Steve.
    So I should ask for my money back now?

The dirty little secret on all those dating sites (especially pre-myspace and facebook), they usually charge the guys to upgrade their account so they can contact the women, but if you sign up as a female, the same privileges a guy would have using a premium account were completely free. You could put whatever in your profile, not even have a picture, and you would be getting 20-30 messages a day from very aggressive guys. Obviously, this was exploited for $$ by a technique called 'e-whoring':
    http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackha...e-whoring.html

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul4Prez2012 View Post
    So I should ask for my money back now?
    I think so... lmao.. All those hot chicks pictured on their site were non existent. I guess that's pissed off the hackers to expose them.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The dirty little secret on all those dating sites (especially pre-myspace and facebook), they usually charge the guys to upgrade their account so they can contact the women, but if you sign up as a female, the same privileges a guy would have using a premium account were completely free. You could put whatever in your profile, not even have a picture, and you would be getting 20-30 messages a day from very aggressive guys. Obviously, this was exploited for $$ by a technique called 'e-whoring':
    http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackha...e-whoring.html
    I've never joined one, but if I ever do; this is good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    The same thing is practiced by many dating sites I believe. They mine pics of hot girls and create bot accounts to send messages to new users who, of course, will have to pay for a recurring subscription in order to fully open them :-P A few years ago I created a free account on some online dating sites (not this one!) to see how they are, and some of them are just outright ridiculous. As if multiple smoking hot women are really going to message some random person within the first day or registering on the site, who doesn't even have a photo or profile filled out lol. That said though, I don't think they're all bad. OKCupid I think is pretty reputable.
    Yeah, I posted pretty much the same thing on the other hack thread. Back in the day, if you signed up as a female you could message for free. I actually hooked up with a real female by doing that- the fake ones were fairly easy to spot. It was kinda awkward at first.

You can download this torrent file and check to see if anyone you know (including local politicians) are on their service:

https://thepiratebay.la/torrent/1223...he_Impact_Team
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    This is hilarious. Imagine the names in that site.... please oh please release those names!
    Family Values Activist Josh Duggar Had a Paid Ashley Madison Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ashley Madison cheaters list now searchable online
    NEW YORK – It was only a matter of time.

The stolen database of 32 million people who used the cheating website AshleyMadison.com has made its way to the web. And, it’s easily searchable on several websites.

Just plug in a name or email address, and you’ll find out if someone signed up for the service. If you know exactly what to look for, they can be found via regular web searches.

Usually, hacked data is difficult to reach or sort through. Stolen files are posted on the Dark Web, which requires a special web browser called Tor. And, they’re traded on file-sharing platforms, which also requires special software and clicking on dubious downloads.

But, now, anyone can check if his or her spouse was cheating by simply filling out a form.

Someone has even created a custom Google Map that displays some of Ashley Madison users’ addresses registered with the website.

It’s difficult to verify the accuracy of these searching tools. But, at least one tool, which searches by email address, returns accurate results. CNNMoney verified this by plugging in email addresses of users it has independently verified.

The danger of being exposed is real.

Many of the cheaters exposed in this hack serve in the U.S. military, evident because they used email addresses that end in the .mil domain, adultery violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice. It’s a prosecutable offense that can land you a year in confinement and a dishonorable discharge.

There were also people who used Ashley Madison to engage in gay affairs, and there are 79 countries worldwide where homosexuality is illegal. In Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the punishment is death.

A quick search of a small subset of Ashley Madison users listed two in the United Arab Emirates. Their addresses are most likely legitimate, because they were tied to the credit card they used to pay for the service, according to a computer researcher.

Tim Cook talked about this earlier this year when he said we don’t live in a post-privacy world, and absolute privacy of data still matters.

The Ashley Madison hack includes customer names, credit card data, physical addresses and sexual preferences. Some users were smart enough to use fake names, but financial data is legitimate. In total, the data makes it easy to hunt someone down.

The information is incredibly revealing. For example, the database shows if a person was listed as a married “male seeking male” with a “someone I can teach” sexual fantasy looking for a “boy next door” or an “attached female seeking male” with a “spanking” fantasy seeking “a Don Juan.”

The listed sexual fantasies range from master/slave relationships to cross dressing and exhibitionism.

This hack proves that you need to exercise extreme caution if you’re going to share your deepest, darkest secrets. Using your real name or payment information is a hazard. No website is impenetrable. Few websites practice good security standards. Even major American banks use second-rate security.

http://kfor.com/2015/08/19/ashley-ma...chable-online/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Ashley Madison cheaters list now searchable online

Many of the cheaters exposed in this hack serve in the U.S. military, evident because they used email addresses that end in the .mil domain, adultery violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice. It’s a prosecutable offense that can land you a year in confinement and a dishonorable discharge.

There were also people who used Ashley Madison to engage in gay affairs, and there are 79 countries worldwide where homosexuality is illegal. In Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the punishment is death.
    http://kfor.com/2015/08/19/ashley-ma...chable-online/
    Well, it looks like these hackers may well end up being accessories to murder. The road to hell is paved with the good intentions of the self-appointed morality police. Kind of ironic.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Follow the advice from shaggy and just say "it wasn't me"

Wife: but they used the home address
    Husband: It wasn't me
    Wife: They even used your email address
    Wife: But we have life lock and it couldn't have been a case of identity theft

Whatever she says, just reply with "it wasn't me" and you will walk away Scott free like the fella in the video

adultery violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice. It’s a prosecutable offense that can land you a year in confinement and a dishonorable discharge.
    lol, that is kinda silly considering how many women cheat on their military husbands..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Well, it looks like these hackers may well end up being accessories to murder. The road to hell is paved with the good intentions of the self-appointed morality police. Kind of ironic.
    there was no good intention here. But I like that the $#@! is stirred.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    You can download this torrent file and check to see if anyone you know (including local politicians) are on their service:

https://thepiratebay.la/torrent/1223...he_Impact_Team
    What is the legal status of downloading this? I would think it might be potentially risky to have millions of people's stolen personal information on your PC.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

The Ashley Madison hack ruined my life

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/21/tech...ves/index.html

The Ashley Madison hack is indeed ripping apart marriages.
    It's exposing affairs, confirming suspicions, and keeping cheaters up at night in cold sweats.
    Several people who were directly affected by the data breach of the cheating website AshleyMadison.com have reached out to CNNMoney. Their identities and details have been independently verified, but they have spoken on condition of anonymity.
    The mistress
    "Ana" is a highly educated business woman in her 40s who is finalizing a divorce with her husband.
    She stayed up late Thursday rapidly texting eight married men with whom she had relationships after finding them on Ashley Madison.
    She said the men are all worried their wives will use search tools now available online to find the email addresses they used to sign up for the cheating site.
    Meanwhile, Ana is concerned about her job in finance. Her clients are couples and small businesses. These are highly personal relationships. If they plug in her email address into any of the available Ashley Madison searches, she'll be exposed. And maybe even fired.
    "I would lose business, contracts... I'm not even sure if my contract with my employer has a morality clause," she told CNNMoney on Friday. "It could be very damaging."
    Ana claims to have had more than 50 encounters -- everything ranging from "a benign flirtatious lunch" to "three days in a hotel room and ordering room service." To her, Ashley Madison was a playground.
    "Honey, I devoured them," she said.
    The wife of cheater
    "Kimberly" is a neurophysiologist in Richmond, Virginia, who travels a lot on business. She was stuck on a grounded flight Thursday night when she came across a news story about the Ashley Madison hack on her smartphone.
    She and her husband had been having marital issues lately, and she figured she'd plug his personal email address into a search tool.
    It was a match, and she immediately called him. Here's how she remembers the conversation:
    "What do you know about this website, Ashley Madison?" she asked.
    "I read a little about how they had a hack," he responded.
    "Well, I searched your email, and it came up."
    That's when he admitted he was a user on the site, though he kept changing his story.
    "I don't know the whole story yet," Kimberly told CNNMoney. "I'm done. Even if it's just him getting on there looking. I don't trust him."
    Kimberly is now at her parents' place while her husband packs up his things and finds an apartment.
    The soon-to-be divorcee
    This week wasn't the first time "Stacy" caught her husband cheating. Back in January, she found his iPad unlocked, opened his photo collection and found pictures of him naked in bed with another woman.
    She threw him out of their home and filed divorce papers that afternoon.
    They're just now finalizing the divorce settlement. When Stacy heard she could find exposed Ashley Madison users online, she typed in his email address. Surely enough, he was a member.
    Stacy hasn't seen his profile. She has no idea whether he actually slept with anyone he found on the dating site. But she thinks the massive hack of stolen documents contains information that will help her divorce.
    "It proves his adulterous behavior. It would give me more ability to negotiate what I'm requesting in the settlement," she said.
    But that doesn't mean she's happy about what she found out. And her husband's presence on Ashley Madison was still an eyeopener.
    "If this would have happened in December, I might have not even searched," she said. "I would have just been in denial. To women who have no suspicions, I say: check anyway. It's sad."

I always thought one day this data is going to be public and it will serve them right. Pay back is a bitch, right, screw all those scumbags, they have it coming.

Then until I thought about it a bit. If there is no email verification anyone can take your email, sign you up and destroy your life.

What about the guy in the article above that has no intention of cheating.

Even if it's just him getting on there looking. I don't trust him.
    I think various agencies should be out there and play wack a mole to scrub this stuff from the net and prosecute anyone hosting the data. Hunt down and prosecute the hackers.

I would also like to see the company itself run out of business through lawsuits due to failed security practices.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    What is the legal status of downloading this? I would think it might be potentially risky to have millions of people's stolen personal information on your PC.
    legal?

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I would also like to see the company itself run out of business through lawsuits due to failed security practices.
    Yeah, they should have signed up with Fireeye - the only DHS certified security company - http://www.scmagazine.com/dhs-certif...rticle/412563/ This is how you cover your ass. AM are complete amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    oh come on you sign up for a cheating site and use your government supplied e-mail address?
    You'd be surprised. A lot of people use work emails because they don't want the spouse to know, but sheesh, they could just start a new email that isn't work or home. People are not too careful about their information on the internet.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

That was their stated reason for doing this.

They charged people to delete their information.. The company made millions on deleted accounts that were never deleted at all.

That is Fraud,, and theft through deception.

They will be sued out of existence..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Funkbuddha's Internet rule #1. There are no women on the internet.
    Personally, I haven't sprouted a penis since I've been using the internet.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Personally, I haven't sprouted a penis since I've been using the internet.
    Good to know.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    That was their stated reason for doing this.

They charged people to delete their information.. The company made millions on deleted accounts that were never deleted at all.

That is Fraud,, and theft through deception.

They will be sued out of existence..
    Therefore screwing the people they claim to be sticking up for.

There had to be a better way to expose them than this.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

There had to be a better way to expose them than this.
    How?

Until some deleted information was found to be un-deleted,, there was no grounds for a suit.

Until the crime was exposed,, it was unknown.

I don't think they care about the adulterers at all and did not do it "for them".
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the best excuse I've heard yet: he was doing "research"

Ashley Madison client list includes Louisiana GOP executive director

Louisiana GOP executive director Jason Doré said Thursday that his name is on a list of accounts released as part of the Ashley Madison cheating website hack because the site was used for "opposition research."

The director of the statewide Republican Party said via text message that an account was created under his name and his former personal credit card billing address in connection with the work of his law firm, Doré Jeansonne. He declined to say who he was using the account for.

"As the state's leading opposition research firm, our law office routinely searches public records, online databases and websites of all types to provide clients with comprehensive reports," Doré said via text message. "Our utilization of this site was for standard opposition research. Unfortunately, it ended up being a waste of money and time."

The database shows Doré spent $175.98 on the site, which he signed up for in 2013.

I thought that this was a good comment from a web page I was reading about this stuff...

Citizen #1122455122247

If it were any other website, there wouldn't be this much police attention.

Sears gets hacked, people pretty much go on with their lives. Walmart loses a bunch of credit card info, people shrug it off

A website that promotes affairs and has a large amount of public figures, politicians, religious figures as members, every police force on the continent is trying to find the people responsible and shut down the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    This is the best excuse I've heard yet: he was doing "research"

Ashley Madison client list includes Louisiana GOP executive director
    I was just thinking, how many congresscritters are on that list ? Better even, presidential candidates ? There are like 50 of them so chances are...
    "I am a bird"

Two dead?

Ashley Madison: 'Suicides' over website hack
    By Chris Baraniuk - 24 August 2015

Two individuals associated with the leak of Ashley Madison customer details are reported to have taken their lives, according to police in Canada.

The police in Toronto gave no further information about the deaths.

Ashley Madison's Canadian parent company Avid Life Media is offering a C$500,000 (£240,000) reward for information on the hackers, they added.

Details of more than 33m accounts were stolen from the website, which offers users the chance to have an affair.

Addressing the hackers, known as The Impact Team, acting staff superintendent Bryce Evans of the Toronto police said: "I want to make it very clear to you your actions are illegal and we will not be tolerating them. This is your wake-up call."

Police are seeking information from members of the wider hacker community that might aid their investigation.

The breach was "very sophisticated", said Detective Menard from the technological crime unit of Toronto Police.
    Cash reward

Mr Evans confirmed that credit card data was included in the original data dump released by The Impact Team.

He said that investigators believed this was limited to the last four digits of the main card number.

Consequently, police are advising victims of the hack to review their accounts.

He also explained that the hack had already led to a series of "spin-offs of crimes and further victimisation".

"Criminals have already engaged in online scams by claiming to provide access to the leaked websites," he said.

"The public needs to be aware that by clicking on these links you are exposing your computers to malware, spyware, adware and viruses."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34044506

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast