Thread: Rand Paul Responds to Donald Trump's Immigration Comments

Rand Paul Responds to Donald Trump's Immigration Comments

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two people total ?

Trump is helping Rand. Rand therefore is not going to criticize him. I'm telling you - I don't know if it's intentional or not but that's what's going on.

Trump's favorite targets so far have been Jeb and Rubio. Until that changes, he's a de facto ally.

Sorry, but not the right answer. He still doesn't get it!! The correct answer would have been. I understand why Donald Trump is connecting with people because the political elites in both parties have been lying to the American people for the past 29 years. They promised a secure border yet the border is till wide open and we've flooded the labor market with poor unskilled people which makes it harder for lower and working class Americans to climb the economic ladder.

I have a sinking feeling Rand isn't going to make it.

Rand didn't seem too enthused and his answer on the immigration issue goes beyond the border and illegal immigration. It would be nice to hear him tick off more solutions to the problem:
    1) secure the border
    2) eliminate the sanctuary city underground
    3) end the anchor baby loophole
    4) prosecute employers who knowingly hire illegals
    5) punish Mexico for aiding and abetting illegal immigration into the US
    6) deport known illegal criminals
    7) deport recent illegals

Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    Sorry, but not the right answer. He still doesn't get it!! The correct answer would have been. I understand why Donald Trump is connecting with people because the political elites in both parties have been lying to the American people for the past 29 years. They promised a secure border yet the border is till wide open and we've flooded the labor market with poor unskilled people which makes it harder for lower and working class Americans to climb the economic ladder.

I have a sinking feeling Rand isn't going to make it.
    Why do you insist he should suck up to Trump? Rand said secure the border. If he was to address Trump's position on the border, he should point out that its a flip flop. Trump was for Amnesty.

Donald Trump: The biggest problem is that you have some great, wonderful people coming in from Mexico that are working the crops, they’re working cutting lawns, they’re doing a lot of jobs that I’m not sure that a lot of Americans are going to take those jobs. And that’s the dichotomy. That’s the big problem because you have a lot of great people coming in doing a lot of work, and I’m not so sure that a lot of other people are going to be doing that work. So, it is a very tough problem, but I do say this, you have a law, or at least you have to establish a law, and I guess we’re sort of a country and other people aren’t supposed to be coming into our country illegally. Bill O’Reilly: Now, the 15 million illegal aliens already in the United States, what do you do with them? Donald Trump: I think right now you’re going to have to do something. It’s hard to generalize, but you’re going to have to look at the individual people, see how they’ve done, see how productive they’ve been, see what their references are, and then make a decision.

Bill O’Reilly: All right, on a case-by-case—going to take a long time and a lot of people.

Donald Trump: A long time, but you know, you have some great, productive people that came.

You have to give them a path. You have 20 million, 30 million, nobody knows what it is. It used to be 11 million. Now, today I hear it’s 11, but I don’t think it’s 11. I actually heard you probably have 30 million. You have to give them a path, and you have to make it possible for them to succeed. You have to do that.

Source: http://ori2.glennbeck.com/2015/07/09...ntentcopy_link
    http://ori2.glennbeck.com/2015/07/09...ntentcopy_link
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Rand, and I might add Cruz, do not criticize other GOP candidates. I think he is smart not to comment on Trump because that guy is probably a paid Dem operative...he supports Obama and voted for him. I would stay away from Trump if I was Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Why do you insist he should suck up to Trump? Rand said secure the border. If he was to address Trump's position on the border, he should point out that its a flip flop. Trump was for Amnesty.

I'm not saying he has to suck up to Trump. He just needs to acknowledge that Trump has struck a nerve and is talking about a subject the elites in both political parties and the media don't want to talk about. The border is out of control and working class people have been suffering because of it. Rand needs to be on the side of the people not the big donor class that wants an endless supply of cheap labor.

In the Real Clear Politics average of the polls Rand is now in 7th place. It's not looking good.
    Last edited by William R; 07-14-2015 at 07:51 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post

Sorry to hear Trump talk like that. He's definitely not the ideal candidate -- not even close to it, but who is? I want the border closed, the anchor baby loophole closed and these 'free' trade regulations turned into fair trade regulations. I also want to avoid nuclear war with Russia and China.

Let's review:
    > abortion: GOP did nothing when it had the chance under Bush and is doing nothing now under Obama.
    > 2nd amendment: major strides forward with concealed and open carry in spite of both parties and even under a Dem majority in WDC.
    > war: rampant under both GOP and Dem control
    > 'free' trade: supported by both GOP and Dem
    > size of government: has grown under both GOP and Dem
    > police state: has grown under both GOP and Dem
    > government and elite accountability: non-existent under both parties
    > whistle-blowers: persecuted under both parties
    > high-end corporate welfare: going strong under both parties
    > low-end welfare: going strong under both parties
    > open borders / anchor babies / path to citizenship / sanctuary cities: both parties support
    > banker bailouts: both parties support
    > growth of police state: both parties support
    > school choice / home schooling: persecuted under both parties
    > government red tape: has grown under both parties
    > growth of group rights and destruction of individual rights: supported by both parties
    > destruction of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution: supported by both parties
    > local hospitals and health care: being destroyed by both parties
    > national sovereignty: destroyed by both parties

Need we go on? Is any candidate going to address all of my concerns? No. Is the world going to be perfect even if Rand is POTUS? No. Does Rand have a chance at either POTUS or VP without forming an alliance with someone like Trump? Highly doubtful.

People need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Better be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    I'm not saying he has to suck up to Trump. He just needs to acknowledge that Trump has struck a nerve and is talking about a subject the elites in both political parties and the media don't want to talk about. The border is out of control and working class people have been suffering because of it. Rand needs to be on the side of the people not the big donor class that wants and endless supply of cheap labor.

In the Real Clear Politics average of the polls Rand is now in 7th place. It's not looking good.
    Trump is his competition, why should he pump up his competition?

You all do realize that they probably interviewed him for 5-10 minutes and put a 15 second sound byte on the air, right? Pretty hard to "check all the boxes" in every media appearance you ever make.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice, tactful response. If he was seen as fully agreeing with Trump, the media would crucify him, say he hates mestizos and demand he condemn Trump's comments. If he was perceived as disagreeing too strongly, he'd look weak on immigration to conservative voters. This way he can argue for a secure border, without taking on the racial baggage. Trump will weather the storm of his comments, but it would destroy Rand. The media is itching for an opportunity to pounce on Rand's campaign and destroy it. To avoid this, he's going to have to almost perfect. He's done a good job so far.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by David Sadler View Post
    Rand didn't seem too enthused . . .
    An honest criticism that I have said to myself - he's not animated and energetic when he speaks compared to Trump.

He is only gonna have minutes at the debate to show some fire in his message.

That was the correct response from Rand.

He shouldn't and won't try to out-demagogue Trump on immigration.

That's not Rand's niche.

Rand's niche is being the most fiscally conservative candidate.

It's what he actually is, it's what the GOP base will like most about him, it's why we desperately need him in the White House.

Largest tax cut in American history, largest spending cut in American history, massive deregulation across the board, eliminating entire departments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    The fatter they are the louder they pop?
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    What he suggested wouldn't be "pumping Trump up". It would just be recognizing the vast bulk of GOP voters who are pissed as hell and whom Rand needs to win over if he has any hope of being President. Attacking Trump would be dumb since right now Trump is absolutely destroying Jeb and Rubio and that serves Rand's interest. Best to avoid a direct attack on Trump right now, but acknowledging the voters and the anger that is driving Trump's rise to the top of the polls is vital. I am getting the feeling that Rand is completely out of touch with the mood of the electorate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sadler View Post
    Rand didn't seem too enthused and his answer on the immigration issue goes beyond the border and illegal immigration. It would be nice to hear him tick off more solutions to the problem:
    1) secure the border
    2) eliminate the sanctuary city underground
    3) end the anchor baby loophole
    4) prosecute employers who knowingly hire illegals
    5) punish Mexico for aiding and abetting illegal immigration into the US
    6) deport known illegal criminals
    7) deport recent illegals
    rand has been talking about most of these for years...its like people have their head in a hole in the ground on immigration

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    I am getting the feeling that Rand is completely out of touch with the mood of the electorate.
    I don't think so. He's just taking a hard stance without offending anyone. In the video, he repeated his position on securing the border. Tonight in his Hannity interview, he mentioned to the need to enforce the immigration laws already on the books, and his amendment to stop sanctuary cities. That tells me he's well aware of the mood WRT illegals.

What people want to hear from Paul: "I am going to SHUT IT DOWN!!!"

What people hear: "You can't have a lawless border blah blah blah (the same empty promises politicians have been doling out for 30 years)"

Stop dicking around like a mealy mouthed person. I want to hear you declare strongly that you are going to shut down the traffic on the border, and I want to know exactly when and how you're going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    What people want to hear from Paul: "I am going to SHUT IT DOWN!!!"

What people hear: "You can't have a lawless border blah blah blah (the same empty promises politicians have been doling out for 30 years)"

Stop dicking around like a mealy mouthed person. I want to hear you declare strongly that you are going to shut down the traffic on the border, and I want to know exactly when and how you're going to do it.
    Great point about how there has been so much lying on this issue for so long and how that numbs people to mealy mouthed responses. Besides talking in thunder, another way to get people to buy in is to actually explain why you believe securing the border is so important. Dave Brat was great with that. If you start talking about wage depression, crime, school overcrowding, and quality of life issues then people suddenly think, "hey, this guy really means it". Avoid the why, and nobody is going to believe a word you say. Electorate has been burned too many times on this issue.