Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little dachsund is paralyzed. Any advice?

My little dachsund is paralyzed. Any advice?

Some of yall have seen my little dog Bacchus though its probably been a few years. He is 7 now. Sometimes when the chat would do the video thing he would be sitting in my lap. Anyway day before yesterday I woke up and he couldn't move his back legs. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they immediately put him on steroids and something else. He still had a very minor pain response at the time but there is almost no response now. Its definitely a slipped disc.

Acupuncture and animal chiropractory have been recommended to me in addition to physical therapy. But these options seem kind iffy. I certainly don't mind doing them if they wont make things worse. Surgery may not be an option anymore. And I guess eventually I might have to get doggy wheel chair though for right now I have ordered a rear harness that I can hold.

Any of yall have any experience with this in your pets, or know anyone who has?

Slutter McGee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't help ya brother, but sorry to hear it. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

What is his current quality of life? What are the odds that he will recover? Is he currently in pain? How much are your vet bills?

If the pup is hurting or otherwise has a very poor quality of life... put him down. Anything less is selfish thinking.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    What is his current quality of life? What are the odds that he will recover? Is he currently in pain? How much are your vet bills?
    Vet bill are reasonable without surgery. Who really knows what the odds are. Why I am asking if yall have any experience.

If his quality of life sucks I won't hesitate to put him down, but it is far too early to consider that, so I was just asking if yall have dealt with this.

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    If the pup is hurting or otherwise has a very poor quality of life... put him down. Anything less is selfish thinking.
    No $#@! sherlock.

Slutter McGee

I know 2 people who weiner dogs who had this happen. I don't remember if they had to do the surgery, but in both instances the doggies recovered fully. It is a common thing with that breed, I think.

(Edited - I do not mean to imply it isn't serious, because from what I understand, it is indeed very serious. But don't give up hope just yet. )
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-13-2015 at 06:13 PM.

We have a dachshund. I have no advice, just a lot of sympathy.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    Vet bill are reasonable without surgery. Who really knows what the odds are. Why I am asking if yall have any experience.

If his quality of life sucks I won't hesitate to put him down, but it is far too early to consider that, so I was just asking if yall have dealt with this.

Slutter McGee
    I had a dog who had back problems AND his crucius ligament went out in one knee completely. Basically, he couldn't stand for long and when he sat for too long couldn't get up. So very much like he was paralyzed.

Our dog, Buddy, was around 14 when it progressed and got worse. You will notice when he is miserable. When it first started happening he was scared and depressed, but when he realized we were helping and weren't going to just let him die he adjusted. Had quite a few months of "normal" mood, though little mobility. But as time progressed and his health deteriorated he had more and more bad days where he wouldn't even try to move except to go to the bathroom a couple times a day, sometimes just once.

I guess my "advice" or whatever is just to pay as much attention as you can. It's harder. It sucks for a dog to become a charity case of attention (that's kind of a cat thing lol) and they notice it too. But as far as putting him down, my experience was that he just became miserable all day every day at some point. You'll notice. Probably I waited longer than I should have as he was also in physical pain. As your dog is young, I would say don't worry about it and in fact try not to get too down, maybe you're projecting (if you are).

Just try to be emotionally like you would if it was your own kid. "Suck it up!" "You don't need legs!" Be in good spirits. If your spirits are good, and down the road your dog is miserable day in and day out regardless then you can start thinking about the death thing. But until then I'd say try to be in good spirits.

Good luck.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Don't have any experience with it but sounds awful for you (and dog). I hope for the best.

Get a kiddie pool and fill with just enough water to keep the dog's belly afloat. Keep an eye on him in the pool so he doesn't drown and give him at least an hour daily. Luke warm bath temp.

He'll walk on his front paws and do a swim/walk motion with the back paws that will help heal. Its remarkable, really give it a try.

Other than that rest and talk to your vet about a pain prescription.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH DOSAGE dogs have much lower therapeutic ratio for most OTC pain killers. Prescription codeine is probably the most well tolerated.

Whenever you're giving your dog ANY type of medication (prescription or OTC) it's very important to check, and then DOUBLE-check that you've got the dosage right!
    http://www.fidosavvy.com/pain-medication-for-dogs.html

over the counter asprin is the only option; tylenol and advil should not be used with dogs.

Find a dose chart, it will likely be a very small amount for that size dog.

Crush pills and cut them up like little lines of cocaine; 1/2 1/2 1/2 etc. to get your correct dosage.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Do you have any Bufo toads around that the dog might have come in contact with?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I have no direct experience with this, but if it were me, I think I would start calling vets - lots of vets - and asking them if they are aware of anyone who specializes in this sort of thing.

Not all doctors keep up with current techniques and procedures. I've seen that happen plenty of times with medical doctors with human patients. Just because one doc doesn't know of anything to be done doesn't mean that ALL doctors or vets are going to give you that answer.

In short, keep asking questions and throw a wide net. Don't give up.

I truly hope you'll find help for your dog. Hang in there!

My grandmother's dachshund had the same problem happen to him. One day he couldn't move his back legs. She considered putting him down, but he didn't seem to be in pain so she didn't right away. He taught himself to walk again but he would do so on just his front legs and would drag around his back legs. He kinda looked like a seal when he would walk. He still seemed happy and wasn't in any pain so she decided to just let him be.

Afterwards, he also had problems controlling his bladder. At nighttime she didn't want him going on the carpet, so she bought this large cage and would put him in there at night. A year or so later she read somewhere about magnetic bed's being therapeutic and bought one. He was already used to sleeping in the cage every night so getting him to sleep on the magnetic bed was as easy as placing it in the cage.

I forget how long it took, but after he started sleeping on the bed he started to walk with his back legs again. He continued sleeping on the bed for the rest of his life and never had a relapse. I don't know if your dog has the same problem as my grandmother's dog did, nor do I know if the magnetic bed actually did the trick. Maybe his body cured itself. I do remember thinking how stupid it was to buy that magnetic bed when she did. I also remember how surprised I was to see him walk again after sleeping on it for a while.

As far as I know she never gave him any medication for this or had any surgeries done. I remember she brought him to the vet but was told there was nothing they could do for him.

Just went through this with my pit bull. He's ten.

Regular vet told us to go to the emergency vet immediately because it was a spine issue and time is critical in relation to recovery. she was right.

Had to get him an MRI and they found his ruptured discs and fixed them in surgery.

He's now 95% back to normal.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Slutter McGee
    Because of their length dachshunds just tend to be very vulnerable to severe spine injuries. Just goes with the breed.

Sounds like you have a reasonable handle on the situation. Hang in there. Condolences. Good luck.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-14-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Is he doing better today?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Slutter's an $#@!, but his poor dog can't help that.

What jerk "one starred" this thread?

I met a guy long ago who's beagle became unable to walk while out rabbit hunting, he carried him out of the woods and took him to his chiropractor who got him back on his feet.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Sorry to hear this. My dog's vet was telling me about a doxie with the same issue, who they got walking again with laser therapy.

ETA: here's another one that laser therapy worked for: http://caninechronicle.com/uncategor...-couldnt-walk/
    Last edited by Lindsey; 08-02-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Just an update. Good old Bacchus has had a great life over the last year and a half. His cart is awesome, and he runs around in it like a normal dog. I am glad I did not have him euthanized. Exercises and regularly expressing the bladder have helped extend his life (with a high quality of life) But urinary tract infections have been non stop over this time period. He built up resistance to the medication and it is getting bad. Gonna have to put him down soon. Just wanted to thank everyone who commented except those jackasses who said I should put him down if he is suffering. Because of course I would.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Just an update. Good old Bacchus has had a great life over the last year and a half. His cart is awesome, and he runs around in it like a normal dog. I am glad I did not have him euthanized. Exercises and regularly expressing the bladder have helped extend his life (with a high quality of life) But urinary tract infections have been non stop over this time period. He built up resistance to the medication and it is getting bad. Gonna have to put him down soon. Just wanted to thank everyone who commented except those jackasses who said I should put him down if he is suffering. Because of course I would.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee
    Lost our beloved Shar Pei because of a vet that operated on him for a skin disease and drove the disease into his body. We didn't put him down but loved and took care of him until he passed away the day before Christmas this past year. Still miss him.
    There is no spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would say forget the vets, except for any necessary pain medication.

Our dog is 19 years old. He had severe arthritis which made his hind end bow toward the ground. We started giving him this supplement (see link). His hind end slowly rose and came back to normal. He also lost a lot of hair. I brushed him over the weekend, and can now make a wig out of his hair. This was two years ago. I swear he might live another 10 years. You can see the link for how it helped other people.

I don't really even really tell Americans about this supplement anymore. Americans are the most stubborn lot I know. I am only posting this because of your dog. Link below.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ne-I-am-Taking
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I had a pet rat growing up. His name was Arnold. Anyway, my friend let Arnold chew on a lead pencil (granite, I don't know).

But Arnold died the next day. I never forgave that friend.

Your story reminded me about Arnold. I feel your pain.
    Last edited by Danke; 10-13-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Ugh, sorry man.
    Thanks, I find comfort that Arnold is in a better place now.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Thanks, I find comfort that Arnold is in a better place now.
    What type of funeral did Arnold have ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What type of funeral did Arnold have ?
    You'd have to ask the garbage man.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast