Thread: Hillary Clinton takes aim at Uber economy in speech

Hillary Clinton takes aim at Uber economy in speech

Uber was the elephant in the room when Hillary Clinton gave her economic-policy speech on Monday, as the Democrats’ leading presidential contender called out the “gig economy.”

In a major campaign speech in New York City, the former secretary of state didn’t mention the ride-sharing service by name. But it was pretty clear what sort of companies she was talking about when she got to how some Americans earn money.

“Many Americans are making extra money renting out a spare room, designing websites, selling products they design themselves at home, or even driving their own car,” she said at the New School.

But that sort of work comes with its own problems, she said.

“This ‘on demand’ or so-called ‘gig economy’ is creating exciting opportunities and unleashing innovation, but it’s also raising hard questions about workplace protections and what a good job will look like in the future,” Clinton added.

As Mashable notes, her remarks came as startups like Uber and its competitor Lyft are under mounting scrutiny for classifying drivers as independent contractors rather than part-time or full-time employees, entitled to health-care benefits, sick time and paid time off.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wat...ech-2015-07-13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder why she didn't include "giving speeches" on that list.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

Hmmm. So legitimate self-employment and small business is bad, but ripping people off in bogus land deals and using the state cops in running a protection racket for coke dealers is ok? Why would she think that contract employment is bad? It isn't like she bumped off Vince Foster herself.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Tom Woods explains it great. he says that people like that always take away the choice from poor people and it is always the choice people took and if they choose that it means that it is best for them. All other job opportunities are worse than that one. You dont help people by taking away their choices, especially the one they actually choose.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Extra work bad. More government good. Gotcha