Thread: Maypop Fruit

Maypop Fruit

I have a big beautiful Maypop vine producing a lot of fruit this year. I know it's edible but I've never tried it (we would throw them at each other when we were kids but never ate them) and was wondering if anyone else had. I've heard they taste like Hawaiian Punch and I'm thinking of making infused water with them - anyone tried them? Do they really taste good? My Dad used to tell us to leave them for the butterflies but if they taste like HP, I want a few for myself.

In cooking, the fruit of this variety is sometimes used for jam and jellies or as a substitute for its commercially grown South American relative Passiflora edulis – the fruit is of comparable size and juice yield, hence chilled maypop juice is a delicious treat in hot summer weather. The fruit can be eaten out of hand and historically it was a favorite of colonial settlers of the South and Native Americans alike. Today it is a very common plant growing in gardens in the American Southeast and parts of the Mid-Atlantic for this purpose as well as its showy violet flowers,[6] and still is a favorite of Cajuns, as evidenced by their name for the plant: liane de grenade, or "pomegranate vine".

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awesome.. Never heard of it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_incarnata

Pretty interesting plant with some medicinal applications as well it seems.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Awesome.. Never heard of it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_incarnata

Pretty interesting plant with some medicinal applications as well it seems.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to take the time and learn more about the plant. It seems like it has a lot of uses. I'm embarrassed to admit, I've only ever used it as ammo.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I am making oil with the flowers in my yard. I also love making oil with wild violets the scent is so light I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I am making oil with the flowers in my yard. I also love making oil with wild violets the scent is so light I love it.
    Do you eat the oil or use it as perfume?

interesting.

the only Maypops I ever knew were tires.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Infused water?

Yer slipping Suz.

Infuse this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I have a big beautiful Maypop vine producing a lot of fruit this year. I know it's edible but I've never tried it (we would throw them at each other when we were kids but never ate them) and was wondering if anyone else had. I've heard they taste like Hawaiian Punch and I'm thinking of making infused water with them - anyone tried them? Do they really taste good? My Dad used to tell us to leave them for the butterflies but if they taste like HP, I want a few for myself.

Interesting...didn't know this...

PASSIFLORA INCARNATA (Maypop) Important sedative used to treat insomnia, anxiety, restlessness, nervous disorders -- especially in children. It is very safe; no side effects or contraindications are known. The herb is taken as a tea or in tablet or tincture form. Now incorporated in many commercial products, this herb has become a significant American herbal crop in the Southern U.S. and Central America. Germination can be slow and erratic -- usually 30-50%. Leaching seeds in running water for 24 hours improves germination. Grows as a vine. Produces showy sweet-scented flowers and edible fruits.
    Source
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Infused water?

Yer slipping Suz.

Infuse this instead.

Hell yeah! I've had a nasty cold this week. That's the only excuse I have for not thinking of infusing the vodka.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Interesting...didn't know this...

Source
    Very cool. Mine is huge. It's spilling over one of my retaining walls. The bees and the butterflies love the flowers, btw.

Very cool. Mine is huge. It's spilling over one of my retaining walls. The bees and the butterflies love the flowers, btw.
    I wished I could grow some.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Do you eat the oil or use it as perfume?
    I use it for scent because I use rubbing alcohol to distill it. I am in my purple phase

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I use it for scent because I use rubbing alcohol to distill it. I am in my purple phase
    Ha! My friend is into astrology and sent me a birthday horoscope that said I should meditate on the color purple.

Ha! My friend is into astrology and sent me a birthday horoscope that said I should meditate on the color purple.
    Purple? Purple can be a very tricky color and I'll tell you why...

The Maypop sounds promising -good enough for Cajuns is good enough for me.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

I have never tried these .Let me know if they are any good .

Those green colors don't look very inviting. But try and get one of your kids, you know that one that eating everything to try one. If he or she likes it, then its a go ahead to munch away.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Those green colors don't look very inviting. But try and get one of your kids, you know that one that eating everything to try one. If he or she likes it, then its a go ahead to munch away.
    I watched a youtube video and you're not suppose to eat them until they turn yellowish and wrinkly. When they're under ripe it said they taste like lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    interesting.

the only Maypops I ever knew were tires.
    May Pop.

Will Pop.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-21-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Ripe

inside

Well that sure looks like some sort of lilikoi/passionfruit runt. The flower and the insides for sure.

We love making smoothies when we come across lilikoi. So refreshing.
    You may have need of this: http://kimsunee.com/recipes/lilikoi-...uit-margarita/

1 1/4 ounces tequila, such as Sauza
    3/4 ounce lilikoi (passion fruit) purée, such as The Perfect Purée of Napa Valley
    3/4 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
    1 ounce simple syrup*
    3/4 ounce Cointreau
    *Li Hing Mui powder (or salt) for rimming the glass
    Garnishes: lime wedge, fresh orchid
    *To make simple syrup, combine 3 parts water to 1 part sugar in a saucepan and let simmer until sugar dissolves. If it starts to crystallize, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

For a sugary alcoholic beverage it's kinda good -our daughter-in-law let us taste hers when we were all out gallivanting last year.

Here's what that is all about for anyone interested: *Li Hing Mui powder (or salt) for rimming the glass https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_hing_mui

I get pretty decent relief for any sort of sore throat ailment by sucking on li hing mui powder seeds/candy.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Well that sure looks like some sort of lilikoi/passionfruit runt. The flower and the insides for sure.

We love making smoothies when we come across lilikoi. So refreshing.
    You may have need of this: http://kimsunee.com/recipes/lilikoi-...uit-margarita/

1 1/4 ounces tequila, such as Sauza
    3/4 ounce lilikoi (passion fruit) purée, such as The Perfect Purée of Napa Valley
    3/4 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
    1 ounce simple syrup*
    3/4 ounce Cointreau
    *Li Hing Mui powder (or salt) for rimming the glass
    Garnishes: lime wedge, fresh orchid
    *To make simple syrup, combine 3 parts water to 1 part sugar in a saucepan and let simmer until sugar dissolves. If it starts to crystallize, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

For a sugary alcoholic beverage it's kinda good -our daughter-in-law let us taste hers when we were all out gallivanting last year.

Here's what that is all about for anyone interested: *Li Hing Mui powder (or salt) for rimming the glass https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_hing_mui

I get pretty decent relief for any sort of sore throat ailment by sucking on li hing mui powder seeds/candy.
    It's a passion fruit and that Margarita looks good.

That actually looks pretty gross.

Tadpole embryos or something...

Ripe

inside

I was getting worried my Maypop wouldn't come back or maybe the boys had accidently pulled it when they were weeding but it's baAaAaAak! Yay! I love that damn thing. I think I'm gonna try to root some cuttings so I can get them in several spots around my yard..

You have a vine in your yard that grows cheap tennis shoes?
    That is bizarre.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've had them. They have so many seeds inside, it isn't really worthwhile in my opinion; however, if you try to eat an orange slice and a pineapple slice together at the same time, you would have a relative idea of their taste when ripe. There is a huge patch of them along a fence line of a local golf course I frequent. One of my group will stop and eat them by the fist full. I may have one now and then, but I don't care much for them. At least the ones here produce a yellow orange colored fruit when ripe.

One of my absolute favorites growing up were the Gooseberries. I can not find these anywhere around here. I wish they were carried as a produce or at a local farmer's market. I would buy these religiously.

Last edited by Leaning Libertarian; 07-29-2016 at 12:44 AM.