Thread: Historians say fleur de lis has troubled history

Historians say fleur de lis has troubled history

FFS...

NEW ORLEANS -- The fleur de lis is a symbol that is deeply ingrained in Louisiana's history. Seen in architecture, the state flag and on the helmets of the Saints, it's everywhere.

But while it is now seen as the mark of our great state, it was once used to mark slaves.

"Code noir, those words are French and mean black code," said slave historian Dr. Ibrahima Seck.

The black code was a set of regulations adopted in Louisiana in 1724 from other French colonies around the world, meant to govern the state's slave population. Seck said those rules included branding slaves with the fleur de lis as punishment for running away.

"He would be taken before a court and the sentence would be being branded on one shoulder and with the fleur de lis, and then they would crop their ears," Seck said.

Seck said if that slave ran away a second time, he or she would be branded again, but with another brutality added. Their hamstrings would be cut.

To him, this symbol only brings sad thoughts.

"As an African I find it painful, and I think people whose ancestors were enslaved here may feel it even harder than I do as an African," Seck said.

Tulane history professor Terence Fitzmorris said the fleur de lis has roots in the French revolution and, similar to other symbols, was used as a mark of supremacy.

"It was a brutal way of scarring someone and also identifying someone as a particular troublemaker," Fitzmorris said.

Knowing the symbol has that dark history, should it be compared to the likes of the confederate flag?

Fitzmorris said no.

"The fleur de lis was the symbol of a monarchy. The United States of America was a slave-holding republic, not just the south. Where do you stop? Do you get rid of all symbols?

Seck agrees, saying that the symbol has been embraced by the city as one of unity.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/na...tory/29958441/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Someone needs to alert the Boy Scouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Someone needs to alert the Boy Scouts.
    They're already in on it. SHHHHHHH!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...25.ZuNvFFM9cKY

https://www.google.com/search?num=50...d=0COECENUCKAY
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-10-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Louisville KY uses it as well.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Louisville KY uses it as well.
    And the N.O. Saints.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...18.GUu5djMi_Xs

That symbol and variants of it are frequently used in wall anchors here on historical buildings..

I think it's a pretty widespread symbol with no single meaning behind it. But I could be wrong, I don't really feel like studying the matter though.
    "I am a bird"

As I said in the other thread, it is definitely one of the symbols of the biggest human trafficking organization around--the NFL.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.