Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Horizons Nears Pluto

New Horizons Nears Pluto

First human craft to visit the planet. Even Hubble photos have been blury blobs so it is the best look we have ever had of the now "former" planet. It reaches closest approach on July 14th after a journey of nine years. Radio signals the satellite sends back at the speed of light will take four and a half hours to reach Earth. It is also the fastest moving spacecraft ever made.

http://www.coloradanmagazine.org/201...yage-to-pluto/

Most functions have been sleeping during the long journey to save power. It awoke this week to snap a few photos.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...e-new-horizons
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2015 at 11:01 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been checking in on this daily, this should be pretty cool.
    "The Patriarch"

41,000 miles an hour, and still it couldn't reach Pluto while it was still a planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    41,000 miles an hour, and still it couldn't reach Pluto while it was still a planet.
    The status was changed just months after New Horizons was launched (September 2006). What started as the historic first trip to our farthest known planet suddenly became a very long sightseeing trip to a space rock.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Just a fly by or is it going into orbit? (I hope.)

Apparently a fly-by. Next will be portions of the Kuiper Belt. They are looking at other possible targets in the vicinity but fuel will be limited for changing directions.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Apparently a fly-by. Next will be portions of the Kuiper Belt. They are looking at other possible targets in the vicinity but fuel will be limited for changing directions.

Kuiper Belt then the Oort Cloud, bye-bye 'New Horizons'.

Would a couple of years of orbiting Pluto first, just absolutely kill NASA?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Would a couple of years of orbiting Pluto first, just absolutely kill NASA?
    In order to do that, it might have taken 30 or more years to get there.
    The trip took 9 years, and the only reason it took so short a time is because they slingshot the craft past the moon and also Jupiter.
    In order to slow down to the point of being able to orbit Pluto, the craft would have had to go much slower, and would have needed to carry enough fuel to slow itself down toward the end of the journey.
    And there would have been no continuing after that.

As it is, we're going to get snapshot data from Pluto (which is still miles ahead of what we've had for 85 years), and then it will target other objects and go get data on those, too.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Another problem is its small size and mass which means less gravity to capture an object like New Horizons into orbit. That is why approach speed to achieve orbit must be slow- it is too easy to just fly by. Size comparisons:

http://snowbrains.com/pluto-why-its-no-longer-a-planet/

- Pluto has a relatively low mass of less than 1/5 the mass of our moon and 0.00218 the mass of Earth

Pluto’s size vs the Earth
    Pluto’s size vs the Earth

- One of Pluto’s moons, Charon, has a mass of about half of Pluto leading some scientists to believe that it’s a binary system with it’s center of mass somewhere in between the two objects.

MORE PLUTO FACTS:

- Pluto has 5 moons: Charon, Nix, Hydra, Vulcan, Cerberus

- “A number of scientists hold that Pluto should continue to be classified as a planet, and that other dwarf planets should be added to the roster of planets along with Pluto.” – wikipedia

- In 2015, NASA’s New Horizons will be our first close look at Pluto and its moons as it flies by the dwarf planet.

- Pluto may not have been formed in our solar system. Many scientists believe that it was essentially an asteroid that was caught by the sun’s gravity and has been hanging out ever since.

- Pluto was discovered in 1930 BY Clyde W. Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff Arizona and was initially thought to be about the size of Earth. The size of Pluto continually went down over the years until it got kicked out.

Methane has been detected. http://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-hori...-sunrisesunset

Yes, there is methane on Pluto, and, no, it doesn’t come from cows. The infrared spectrometer on NASA’s Pluto-bound New Horizons spacecraft has detected frozen methane on Pluto’s surface; Earth-based astronomers first observed the chemical compound on Pluto in 1976.

“We already knew there was methane on Pluto, but these are our first detections,” said Will Grundy, the New Horizons Surface Composition team leader with the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. “Soon we will know if there are differences in the presence of methane ice from one part of Pluto to another.”

Methane (chemical formula CH4) is an odorless, colorless gas that is present underground and in the atmosphere on Earth. On Pluto, methane may be primordial, inherited from the solar nebula from which the solar system formed 4.5 billion years ago. Methane was originally detected on Pluto’s surface by a team of ground-based astronomers led by New Horizons team member Dale Cruikshank, of NASA’s Ames Research Center, Mountain View, California.

Hope Geraldo isn't doing a live tv broadcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Jan2017

Fly-by and now on most optimal trajectory without change possible - they could have used up fuel to have made a change by last Saturday
    if it looked like there would be risk of collision with dust or anything at its 30,800 mph speed.

Launched in 2006, now unmanned and manned spaceflights - especially with ion propulsion - will be aimed far ahead of the future orbit/path
    of the planet/dwarf/moon/asteroid - and slowed down slowly waiting for the planet/other to catch up to it - so a bump into orbit takes little energy if any.

Might be among the very last of the old-fashioned "fly-bys" . . .

Still looks like a planet to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I can't wait for better resolutions, Pluto looks pretty crazy so far.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They better watch out for Fungi from Yuggoth ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    They better watch out for Fungi from Yuggoth ...
    Looks like a fun gi, Cthulhu approves.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

With moons, go figure.

(PSSSSST, WE can still call it a planet if we want to.)
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-10-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Starting to see more details of Pluto as New Horizons gets closer. Looks like a still from a 1920's sci-fi movie.

http://www.ibtimes.com/new-horizons-...atures-2004284

Because of its distance, it takes the light of the sun about five and a half hours to reach it. Because of that distance (roughly 40 times farther from the sun than we are), it only gets 1/1552 of the sunlight we receive. http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2476.html The mid- day sun would look 25 times brighter than the full moon appears to us.

With moons, go figure.

Starting to see more details of Pluto as New Horizons gets closer. Looks like a still from a 1920's sci-fi movie.
    Fungi from Yuggoth, I'm tellin' ya!

If the Mi-go get their claws on that thing, we could have a whole "V'ger"-type situation on our hands.

This ain't gonna end well ...

http://www.ibtimes.com/new-horizons-...atures-2004284

Because of its distance, it takes the light of the sun about five and a half hours to reach it. Because of that distance (roughly 40 times farther from the sun than we are), it only gets 1/1552 of the sunlight we receive. http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2476.html The mid- day sun would look 25 times brighter than the full moon appears to us.

"The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, it does count for something.

Pluto Is Bigger Than We Thought

Pluto, our solar system’s lovably puny outlier and everyone’s favorite demoted planet, is less puny than scientists predicted.

NASA’s nuclear-powered New Horizons probe traveled over 3 billion miles in a decade to bring us this new info. Apparently, Pluto’s diameter is closer to around 1,473 miles (2,370 km), which is about 50 miles (80 km) more than previous estimates.

“A ha!” you say. “Give Pluto back its membership! It’s a real planet after all!” I mean, if it’s bigger, that counts for something, right?

http://gizmodo.com/pluto-is-bigger-t...ght-1717556241

Yes, it does count for something.
    Science bureaucracies hate to, and most usually refuse to, admit when they are WRONG. Just gotta wait for the old fogies and the old farts to die off.

Is this a great system of searching out nature's truths, or what?

"The Patriarch"

With moons, go figure.

I'm actually more offended now by the de-planetizing now that I know how little we know/knew about Pluto.

Am I the only one who assumed we actually knew how big it was and what it looked like through a telescope? It's weird that we don't even have good pictures of it but we're always seeing galaxies and whatnot.

Now I'm making abortion analogies in my head.

"Oh, it's not a planet, it's just like a bunch of other rocks. I wouldn't call it a "planet" exactly."

Now I'm reading in the news we even had the SIZE wrong? Now we have to adjust our assumed density?

Very "emperor has no clothes" moment for me and our science Gods.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    I'm actually more offended now by the de-planetizing now that I know how little we know/knew about Pluto.

Am I the only one who assumed we actually knew how big it was and what it looked like through a telescope? It's weird that we don't even have good pictures of it but we're always seeing galaxies and whatnot.

Now I'm making abortion analogies in my head.

"Oh, it's not a planet, it's just like a bunch of other rocks. I wouldn't call it a "planet" exactly."

Now I'm reading in the news we even had the SIZE wrong? Now we have to adjust our assumed density?

Very "emperor has no clothes" moment for me and our science Gods.
    Pluto will just continue to stay out there and keep on doing it's thing, regardless of what some group of ignorant humans on this particular mud ball have chosen to classify and label it. <shrug!>

Jan2017

Flyby at distance of a mere 7,750 miles should have occurred an hour ago . . . 5:49am mountain time with
    the University of Colorado Boulder project scientists and others around the USA getting the data streams today . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast