Thread: The People Who Need Very Little Sleep

The People Who Need Very Little Sleep

Interesting. I go through phases of short sleeping, where I get only 4 or 5 hours a night and feel great, but it usually only lasts for a couple of months.

What would you do if you had 60 days of extra free time a year? Ask Abby Ross, a retired psychologist from Miami, Florida, a “short-sleeper”. She needs only four hours sleep a night, so has a lot of spare time to fill while the rest of the world is in the land of nod.

“It’s wonderful to have so many hours in my day – I feel like I can live two lives,” she says.

Short-sleepers like Ross never feel lethargic, nor do they ever sleep in. They wake early – normally around four or five o’clock – raring to get on with their day. Margaret Thatcher may have been one – she famously said she needed just four hours a night, whereas Mariah Carey claims she needs 15.

What makes some people fantastically efficient sleepers, while others spend half their day snoozing? And can we change our sleeping pattern to make it more efficient?

In 2009, a woman came into Ying-Hui Fu’s lab at the University of California, San Francisco, complaining that she always woke up too early. At first, Fu thought the woman was an extreme morning lark – a person who goes to bed early and wakes early. However, the woman explained that she actually went to bed around midnight and woke at 4am feeling completely alert. It was the same for several members of her family, she said.

Fu and her colleagues compared the genome of different family members. They discovered a tiny mutation in a gene called DEC2 that was present in those who were short-sleepers, but not in members of the family who had normal length sleep, nor in 250 unrelated volunteers.
    When the team bred mice to express this same mutation, the rodents also slept less but performed just as well as regular mice when given physical and cognitive tasks.

Getting too little sleep normally has a significant impact on health, quality of life and life expectancy. It can cause depression, weight gain and put you at greater risk of stroke and diabetes. “Sleep is so important, if you sleep well you can avoid many diseases, even dementia,” says Fu. “If you deprive someone of just two hours sleep a day, their cognitive functions become significantly impaired almost immediately.”
    Why sleep is so important is still a bit of a mystery

But why sleep is so important is still a bit of a mystery. The general consensus is that the brain needs sleep to do some housekeeping and general maintenance, since it doesn’t get much downtime during the day. While we sleep, the brain can repair cellular damage, remove toxins that accumulate during the day, boost flagging energy supplies and lay down memories.

“Clearly people with the DEC2 mutation can do the same cleaning up process in a shorter period of time – they are just more efficient than the rest of us at sleeping,” says Fu. “But how are they doing that? That’s the key question.”

Since discovering the DEC2 mutation, a lot of people have come forward claiming to only sleep a few hours a day, says Fu. Most of these had insomnia, she says. “We’re not focusing on those people who have sleeping issues that make them sleep less, we wanted to focus on people who sleep for a few hours and feel great.”

I always feel great when I wake up - Abby Ross

A positive outlook is common among all of the short-sleepers that Fu has studied. “Anecdotally,” she says, “they are all very energetic, very optimistic. It’s very common for them to feel like they want to cram as much into life as they can, but we’re not sure how or whether this is related to their mutations.”

Ross would seem to fit that mould. “I always feel great when I wake up,” she says. She has been living on four to five hours sleep every day for as long as she can remember.

“Those hours in the morning – around five o’clock – are just fabulous. It’s so peaceful and quiet and you can get so much done. I wish more shops were open at that time, but I can shop online, or I can read – oh there’s so much to read in this world! Or I can go out and exercise before anyone else is up, or talk to people in other time zones.”

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...eps?ocid=fbfut
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have always been a light sleeper and usually sleep between 4-5 hrs a nite I go to bed late and get up early. I am the only one in my family like this. Even when I drank large quantities or alcohol I never slept more than 6 hours.

I am not one of those people. Once in a while, I will happen to wake up early and alert, but that will soon wear off as I begin my day and I will feel like $#@!. If I don't get 8 hours, I have a hard time functioning.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I have always been a light sleeper and usually sleep between 4-5 hrs a nite I go to bed late and get up early. I am the only one in my family like this. Even when I drank large quantities or alcohol I never slept more than 6 hours.
    Alcohol can interfere with sleep. You may pass out but the quality of sleep is worse. Less REM which is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Alcohol can interfere with sleep. You may pass out but the quality of sleep is worse. Less REM which is important.
    I can confirm that. Four hours after a night drinking Franzia =/= four hours sober.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Sleeping for a third of my life, seems like an awful waste of much of my very limited time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Sleeping for a third of my life, seems like an awful waste of much of my very limited time.
    Toothpicks?

If it meant you lived one third shorter life-span would you give up sleeping?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I did not go to bed late and wake up early I would never have time for myself.

If my last few hours of good rem sleep are disturbed, it like I didn't even sleep at all.

If I even start to drift into a dream at some point during the day before I go to bed (some call it power nap), even for a split second, it's almost impossible for me to go to sleep before 3am.

It's like I just woke up from a full nights rest in one second.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    If my last few hours of good rem sleep are disturbed, it like I didn't even sleep at all.

If I even start to drift into a dream at some point during the day before I go to bed (some call it power nap), even for a split second, it's almost impossible for me to go to sleep before 3am.

It's like I just woke up from a full nights rest in one second.
    That is a power nap. I only nap when I'm hung over or sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If it meant you lived one third shorter life-span would you give up sleeping?
    I would give up sleeping for living a one third longer life, if it were also possible, healthy and survivable.

A lot of lifetime is also spent/wasted on eating too.

I would give up sleeping for living a one third longer life, if it were also possible, healthy and survivable.

A lot of lifetime is also spent/wasted on eating too.
    Hell no, eating's awesome. I consider that time well spent. Just think of how much time is wasted doing laundry. I hate doing laundry. I think I need a wife. Mr Animal is a very smart man but he refuses to learn how to operate a washer and dryer. He also refuses to pack more than a carry on when he takes a trip. He takes a golf trip once a year with his friends and mails me his dirty laundry. O_o He just buys new clothes as he needs them. That man ain't gonna waste his time doing laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Hell no, eating's awesome. I consider that time well spent. Just think of how much time is wasted doing laundry. I hate doing laundry. I think I need a wife. Mr Animal is a very smart man but he refuses to learn how to operate a washer and dryer. He also refuses to pack more than a carry on when he takes a trip. He takes a golf trip once a year with his friends and mails me his dirty laundry. O_o He just buys new clothes as he needs them. That man ain't gonna waste his time doing laundry.
    You're viewing those machines all wrong...

You have two electronic/mechanical hampers, one for dirty clothes the other for clean....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    You're viewing those machines all wrong...

You have two electronic/mechanical hampers, one for dirty clothes the other for clean....
    Now I need an electronc clothes folder and putter awayer. The kids do their own but I hate putting Mr A's clothes away. I fold them up on his side of the bed and go to sleep. He's not getting the hint, he just throws them in a basket and I have to refold them again. He claims he doesn't know where they go. They're his clothes. Amazingly, he knows where his underwear drawer is when needs clean ones but he doesn't know where it is when asked to put away his clothes. I really wouldn't mind putting his clothes away but he refuses to clean out his drawers and won't let me do it for him (I accidentally threw out some "important" t-shirts once). His drawers are stuffed and I'm sick of trying to squeeze crap in them. The man's a t-shirt hoarder. It doesn't help that the beer and liquor people give him tons of them but damn, he doesn't have to bring them all home.

Now I need an electronc clothes folder and putter awayer. The kids do their own but I hate putting Mr A's clothes away. I fold them up on his side of the bed and go to sleep. He's not getting the hint, he just throws them in a basket and I have to refold them again. He claims he doesn't know where they go. They're his clothes. Amazingly, he knows where his underwear drawer is when needs clean ones but he doesn't know where it is when asked to put away his clothes. I really wouldn't mind putting his clothes away but he refuses to clean out his drawers and won't let me do it for him (I accidentally threw out some "important" t-shirts once). His drawers are stuffed and I'm sick of trying to squeeze crap in them. The man's a t-shirt hoarder. It doesn't help that the beer and liquor people give him tons of them but damn, he doesn't have to bring them all home.
    Get him his very own set of hampers then, problem solved......

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some folks live to eat, others eat to live. I've always been the latter type. As such, I tend to resent just how much time and effort is involved in just staying alive and associated maintenance.

Do I actually enjoy it? Sure, sometimes. Having to, just really sucks. Same with sleep. I call for 'do overs' on the whole system design.

Some folks live to eat, others eat to live. I've always been the latter type. As such, I tend to resent just how much time and effort is involved in just staying alive and associated maintenance.

Do I actually enjoy it? Sure, sometimes. Having to, just really sucks. Same with sleep. I call for 'do overs' on the whole system design.
    Just think of all the time you will save pooping, too. You know, you can multitask. Mr Animal keeps a Sudookey book (Suduko, I renamed it) by the toilet and he also enjoys his favorite shows whilst eating. If you try to talk to him, he just turns up the volume.

Just think of all the time you will save pooping, too. You know, you can multitask. Mr Animal keeps a Sudookey book (Suduko, I renamed it) by the toilet and he also enjoys his favorite shows whilst eating. If you try to talk to him, he just turns up the volume.
    Yep, that's all included in the eating and required physical maintenance time "crap"(so to speak).

Three score years and ten? (I really don't think so.) One score and three of that total, spent sleeping.

Not to ever be confused with, The People Who Need Very Little Sheep.

Not to ever be confused with, The People Who Need Very Little Sheep.
    Mmmmmmmmmm!

Mmmmmmmmmm!

Did you kill it first or second?

Did you kill it first or second?
    Not my sheep.

Not my sheep.
    "The Silence of the Lambs",(When Larry the Cable Guy, goes into the barn.)

LMAO!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the bulletproof coffee guy.. Dave Asbury or something like that claims to have "cracked the code" on the whole sleep a few hours game.. something to do with mitochondria and cellular function. I think he's also into the no power in the sleep area too..
    He calls it sleep hacking. I'm sure he's got product he's hawking to go with those claims but there could be something to the science too.

Sometimes I need 7-9 hours to feel rested.. other times it's just 4-5. I like the extra hours when I sleep less but it's frustrating to be awake and have to be quiet when everyone else is asleep.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!