Thread: Bowel obstructions--does anybody know anything about these?

Bowel obstructions--does anybody know anything about these?

Spent all day at the doctors and hospital yesterday with Suzie. She was complaining of stomach pains and couldn't lay down or sit without being in bad pain. Took her to the urgent care clinic, they recommended an ambulance. So she's in the hospital now and Dr. called to tell me that she's got a really bad obstruction in there.

Is this usually cancer or can it be something else?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's diet. take a laxative. Short term, finger and dig it out. Gross I know, but free and you will feel better.

It could be something else. I will be praying for (((Suzie))))

Poor Suzie! I googled it and apparently there could be a lot of causes.

I am not the Suzie with the bowel obstruction. Mine are working just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Poor Suzie! I googled it and apparently there could be a lot of causes.

I am not the Suzie with the bowel obstruction. Mine are working just fine.
    TMI!

I hate to say this but the diagnoses of her obstruction could depend on how much insurance you have. The more insurance you have the more dangerous and expensive it could be.

Don't jump to conclusions!

Common sense says first clear the obstruction either with lavage (enema) or manually as tangent4ronpaul suggests.

If she's in pain after clearing her bowels then head to the Dr., if there's blood in her stool, either red arterial or brown coagulated save a stool sample and take it to the Dr. or lab...

Poor diet and or dehydration are the most common causes and are easily addressed..

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Poor diet and or dehydration are the most common causes and are easily addressed..
    Yeah if she's only eaten cheese for the last three days and hasn't moved her bowels, then it's not cancer.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Bowel obstruction can be deadly. I would do what the doctors tell you and not play around. (Full disclosure, my wife is a doctor). Really people, do you think we in the medical industry are just trying to treat for the insurance money? All of the doctors we know will treat your condition with the best possible treatment they know of. If they think some simple remedy will work they will tell you so but ultimately your treatment options are entirely up to you. No doctor will force you into any treatment you don't want and they will always allow the patient to determine which way they want to go. They will discuss the options and the possible outcomes and leave the final decision to the patient...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Bowel obstruction can be deadly. I would do what the doctors tell you and not play around. (Full disclosure, my wife is a doctor). Really people, do you think we in the medical industry are just trying to treat for the insurance money? All of the doctors we know will treat your condition with the best possible treatment they know of. If they think some simple remedy will work they will tell you so but ultimately your treatment options are entirely up to you. No doctor will force you into any treatment you don't want and they will always allow the patient to determine which way they want to go. They will discuss the options and the possible outcomes and leave the final decision to the patient...
    Personally I avoid ER's and even GP's like the plague but I will go if it's medically necessary.

As a disclaimer I worked in the Navy hospital for 4 years as an EMT-P and a civilian hospital during that span of time so I have basic healthcare knowledge and am proficient in emergency care and trauma triage.

Constipation is quite common and the advice I offered will undoubtedly pass your wife's approval.

In today's emergency medicine centers there is more time spent on legalities that patient care and the patient foots the bill...

Bowel obstruction is a bit broad, it doesn't really tell you part of the colon is the obstruction or if its partial or full block etc. I took care of a few patients with small bowel obstruction which is a kind of bowel obstruction and just about all of them had just gone through radiation treatment for cancer in their history. The good thing is that all of them were cleared of their obstruction, expect her to be on feeding restriction for a couple of days cos they would try to rest his digestive system and an NG tube to be inserted to drain out the gastric juices in her stomach.

Wish her a speedy recovery

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Really appreciate everything and the well wishes too. Suzie is in the operating room as I'm typing this. The surgeon called to tell me that she has a very bad (serious) bowel obstruction--what the obstruction is yet--they haven't told me, but that they were going to have to take her intestines out to examine them.

I knew she wasn't acting right this past week, but didn't know what to attribute her behavior to. She fell and just collapsed twice, but said she was okay and got herself up. Banged her head really bad and cut that too. Then last night I noticed she was having mini seizures--but wasn't sure that's what it was. A little later she came out complaining about sharp pains in her abdomen--that's when I rushed her over to an urgent care clinic, who then called for an ambulance for her.

She has cerebral palsy and is mentally handicapped, so she can't always recognize her own symptoms of anything until it's so bad that this happens. I always have to monitor her behavior for problems like this.

She's been through the colonoscopy screening a few years back and they saw no problems, so this is something that has developed since then. I had no idea this was so deadly and I'm afraid for her. Just hoping and praying that it's not cancer--but I don't know. She's just a tiny little thing, only weighs about 100 lbs, so I'm saying my prayers. Thanks all.

My sister went through this last year. Prayers for complete recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Thanks, we needed that.

Don't jump to conclusions!

Common sense says first clear the obstruction either with lavage (enema) or manually as tangent4ronpaul suggests.

If she's in pain after clearing her bowels then head to the Dr., if there's blood in her stool, either red arterial or brown coagulated save a stool sample and take it to the Dr. or lab...

Yes, I have worried about Suzie's eating habits. She refuses to eat food that's actually good for her and she's really picky. She'll only eat certain things. I've been afraid for a long time that her eating habits would catch up with her. I don't know if that's the cause of this or not. I know her Mother had diverticulitis too. This might be something that she's just prone to genetically as well. She has so many physical and mental issues and she's been disabled since birth and she's 63 now. She's got the mentality about an eight year old, so she's not severely mentally handicapped, but she never recognizes her own symptoms. I always have to monitor her behavior for those. She's on seizure meds too. I thought she had a mini seizure last night before she told me about the pain in her abdomen and after we had to rush her to the hospital--I was sure of it. She was sitting in the chair at the supper table and her head just fell back--her eyes rolled shut and I had to grab her. What a night it was--I just woke up not too long ago--I was so tired and didn't get to be until almost 5AM. Thanks for the well wishes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Yes, I have worried about Suzie's eating habits. She refuses to eat food that's actually good for her and she's really picky. She'll only eat certain things. I've been afraid for a long time that her eating habits would catch up with her. I don't know if that's the cause of this or not. I know her Mother had diverticulitis too. This might be something that she's just prone to genetically as well. She has so many physical and mental issues and she's been disabled since birth and she's 63 now. She's got the mentality about an eight year old, so she's not severely mentally handicapped, but she never recognizes her own symptoms. I always have to monitor her behavior for those. She's on seizure meds too. I thought she had a mini seizure last night before she told me about the pain in her abdomen and after we had to rush her to the hospital--I was sure of it. She was sitting in the chair at the supper table and her head just fell back--her eyes rolled shut and I had to grab her. What a night it was--I just woke up not too long ago--I was so tired and didn't get to be until almost 5AM. Thanks for the well wishes.
    If she has diverticulitis she needs to lay off eating nuts, seeds, popcorn unless she drinks large amounts of fluid with it...I have it and that's what I have to do.

Really appreciate everything and the well wishes too. Suzie is in the operating room as I'm typing this. The surgeon called to tell me that she has a very bad (serious) bowel obstruction--what the obstruction is yet--they haven't told me, but that they were going to have to take her intestines out to examine them.

I knew she wasn't acting right this past week, but didn't know what to attribute her behavior to. She fell and just collapsed twice, but said she was okay and got herself up. Banged her head really bad and cut that too. Then last night I noticed she was having mini seizures--but wasn't sure that's what it was. A little later she came out complaining about sharp pains in her abdomen--that's when I rushed her over to an urgent care clinic, who then called for an ambulance for her.

She has cerebral palsy and is mentally handicapped, so she can't always recognize her own symptoms of anything until it's so bad that this happens. I always have to monitor her behavior for problems like this.

She's been through the colonoscopy screening a few years back and they saw no problems, so this is something that has developed since then. I had no idea this was so deadly and I'm afraid for her. Just hoping and praying that it's not cancer--but I don't know. She's just a tiny little thing, only weighs about 100 lbs, so I'm saying my prayers. Thanks all.
    I hope she's going to be okay, I had no idea of the circumstances surrounding her admission..

You did the right thing (obviously!)

This stuff is great and very gentle. Lot's of purified water.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Powder-Int...4TWDD51E42JB3S

Hydration is very important. Organic Coconut water is excellent for someone who is dehydrated.

Prayers for Suzie's complete recovery.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I hope she's going to be okay, I had no idea of the circumstances surrounding her admission..

You did the right thing (obviously!)
    Thanks tod! I have some great news here. Dr. just called and Suzie is out of the OR and recovering as we speak. Dr. said that she had a "kink" in her bowels and that it looked like this was something that had been getting progressively worse since birth! Never heard of such a thing myself. Dr. also said it was nothing "sinister" like cancer (thank the Lord) and that they didn't have to cut anything out or anything like that. I'm so thankful--(tears).

So she's going to be in the hospital for at least a few days to recover and then she can come home. Thank you all for your help, suggestions and prayers--you are loved and they are so very much appreciated. Whew--that was a close call--it could've been deadly had we not caught it in time.

Spent all day at the doctors and hospital yesterday with Suzie. She was complaining of stomach pains and couldn't lay down or sit without being in bad pain. Took her to the urgent care clinic, they recommended an ambulance. So she's in the hospital now and Dr. called to tell me that she's got a really bad obstruction in there.

Is this usually cancer or can it be something else?
    Get her off carbs- especially wheat flour; try it for a week and see the results.
    There is no spoon.

Thanks tod! I have some great news here. Dr. just called and Suzie is out of the OR and recovering as we speak. Dr. said that she had a "kink" in her bowels and that it looked like this was something that had been getting progressively worse since birth! Never heard of such a thing myself. Dr. also said it was nothing "sinister" like cancer (thank the Lord) and that they didn't have to cut anything out or anything like that. I'm so thankful--(tears).

So she's going to be in the hospital for at least a few days to recover and then she can come home. Thank you all for your help, suggestions and prayers--you are loved and they are so very much appreciated. Whew--that was a close call--it could've been deadly had we not caught it in time.
    Wishing her (and you) a speedy recovery!

Congenital, whoda thunk?

Is she able to keep track of her bodily functions enough to pay attention or is this something that'll need to be monitored from here on out?

Wishing her (and you) a speedy recovery!

Congenital, whoda thunk?

Is she able to keep track of her bodily functions enough to pay attention or is this something that'll need to be monitored from here on out?
    I'll have to monitor her from here on out--no she's not mentally able to recognize signs and symptoms. I've had to do this many times before with her too. She's prone to bladder infections also and when she starts drinking those evil soda's is when that happens and the only way I know she's got an infection is when she starts wetting her pants---time to take her in again.

Good to hear Terri

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Get her off carbs- especially wheat flour; try it for a week and see the results.
    A gluten-free diet is excellent for people who have bowel issues. Lots of yeast and too much sugar can cause candida albicans. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is great to help combat it. Also good probiotic is excellent to take to keep the good bacteria in the gut.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner