Thread: NC-'God before government:' Two local churches to fly Christian flag above Old Glory

Exclamation NC-'God before government:' Two local churches to fly Christian flag above Old Glory

'God before government:' Two local churches to fly Christian flag above Old Glory

http://www.shelbystar.com/article/20...es=og.comments

By Casey White and Gabe Whisnant

Posted Jul. 4, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    Updated Jul 4, 2015 at 6:38 PM

By the end of the Fourth of July weekend, two Shelby churches will stand together in flying the Christian flag above the American flag.

On Sunday morning, Elizabeth Baptist Church will join Focus Missionary Baptist Church in the symbolic gesture to show that commitment to God is greater than service and commitment to government.

Elizabeth Baptist Pastor Rit Varriale, who is a U.S. Army veteran a graduate of The Citadel, was in the midst of planning the “God before government” movement over several months when he noticed Focus Missionary’s Christian flag already flying above the American flag.

He reached out to Focus Missionary Pastor Walter Wilson, who began flying the Christian flag around two or three months ago, to talk about their shared ideals.

“When I was getting ready to put the flag up one day, God spoke to my spirit that He was first,” Wilson said. “Everything we do, we’re supposed to acknowledge Him first. He told me to put the flag above the American flag.”

According to Varriale, the symbolic gesture with the flag and the “God before government” effort lines up with the nation’s pledge of “one nation under God,” the nation’s founding documents that are filled with religious sentiment as well as biblical beliefs about putting God first.

Varriale said flying the Christian flag higher is not meant to be a slight to military or a publicity stunt. Instead, he wants the gesture to serve as a call to other churches to stand together in the name of religious rights.

“The attention we want to get is the attention of the church,” Varriale said. “It’s time for the church to wake up and stand up for what they believe in.”

The flying of the Christian flag above the American flag at Elizabeth Baptist on Sunday will fall just a week after the Supreme Court of the United States’ 5-4 ruling in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage.

“The timing was, I think, providential more than coincidental,” Varriale said.

The Elizabeth Baptist pastor said recent times have seen a clash between religious rights and individual rights as they pertain to sexual ethics. He believes religious rights are being trumped by government officials in many cases.

Both pastors said reactions to the flag and their effort have been met with a mostly positive reaction from their communities, so far, with some detractors online.

“The support has been overwhelmingly in favor with the responses we’ve received from our local people. Our congregations have been completely onboard,” Varriale said.

Wilson said he hopes the effort acts as a positive change for the future even if there are people who question the ideas the churches are pushing to make public.

“Everybody knows that everybody is not going to agree, but we can always disagree and be agreeable,” Wilson said. “What’s important is what we are doing and how we are investing into our next generation.”

Mike Buss, a flag education staff member at the National American Legion headquarters, said the actions of the local churches are a breach of the U.S. Flag Code but no civil penalties can be administered.

"From time to time, this happens. It's certainly not the proper way to fly the flag. The only time (a church pennant can be higher) is when Navy ships are at sea and during church services, and that goes back a long while," Buss said. "A lot of times, people or groups will do this because they've got a personal or political agenda, but this country and that flag guarantees those rights. That's why it's flown above everything else."

Section 7, Article c of the U.S. Flag Code states:

"No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations."
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A step in the right direction. Flying just the Christian flag without any American one would be preferable. Flying an all black one along with the Christian one would also portray an appropriate message.

TIL:
    except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy.

The Elizabeth Baptist pastor said recent times have seen a clash between religious rights and individual rights as they pertain to sexual ethics. He believes religious rights are being trumped by government officials in many cases.
    I'll bet ya' a cyber dollar that this fine fellow prayed for both the kops and the MIC during services.....

Just saying...

Even when I was a kid, I was puzzled as to why most churches that I attended had conspicuous "murikan flags up front.

Silly me, I thought that the corporation of the USA should be irrelevant with regard to matters of personal faith.

I guess the masses of Huckabites disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    A step in the right direction. Flying just the Christian flag without any American one would be preferable. Flying an all black one along with the Christian one would also portray an appropriate message.
    That's what I thought as well.

Maybe now, some of them at least, will get that Romans 13 nonsense out of their heads.

It's about time!! I've been saying for years that the real "proper" way to fly flags (if you choose to fly them) would be with the Creator's flag on top, the family crest next, followed by state and then federal flags. This shows the proper "respect" for who created what. God creates all so he's on the top. Your family "created" you so that's next. "We the People" created the states and the states created the feds. Feds are the lowest of the bunch and they need to be reminded of that simple fact by flying your flags in this TRUE PROPER ORDER !!
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

[T]wo Shelby churches will stand together in flying the Christian flag above the American flag.
    So essentially, these churches will stand together in flying the American flag. Plus ça change ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'll bet ya' a cyber dollar that this fine fellow prayed for both the kops and the MIC during services.....

Just saying...
    'Twas my thought as well. Shame these folks think they can double down and win and then wrap it all in some propaganda regarding American liberty and freedoms trying to play off their "I am so persecuted card" on anyone who will give them an ear for any length of time.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    So essentially, these churches will stand together in flying the American flag. Plus ça change ...
    My first thought as well. The US flag is still over those churches.

A step in the right direction. Flying just the Christian flag without any American one would be preferable.
    But God have mercy on their souls if they set up an icon of Mary.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Flying the Christian flag about the American actually sends more of a message than flying it without an American flag. I've seen Christian and other flags flown alone, but I've never see something flown above the American.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

In school I was taught "God ... Family ... Country".

Now that I'm out in the real world my priorities are " ... ... Family ... ..."
    The other two can eat a bag of dicks.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Flying the Christian flag about the American actually sends more of a message than flying it without an American flag. I've seen Christian and other flags flown alone, but I've never see something flown above the American.
    And sure to rattle some mental cages.

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    In school I was taught "God ... Family ... Country".

Now that I'm out in the real world my priorities are " ... ... Family ... ..."
    The other two can eat a bag of dicks.
    LOL and I understand the point and agree, family first.

But, consider what a bind "family" can be put into if "god" and "country", or at least the people representing them, go sideways.

No Church should ever fly a USA or any other national flag.................though I would be pleased to see Churches fly the confederate flag just to tell the politicians to go F themselves.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The good thing about all of this happening is that mainline churches out there may finally understand that government is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Just saying...
    Why do you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Christianity has a flag? Sure hope Carlin's "Buddy Christ" is on it.
    It would be more colorful driving along and seeing some of the 300+ recognized religions flying flags. More fun than the license plate game on a long trip.
    I wonder what the First Church of Cannabis' flag looks like?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Mike Buss, a flag education staff member at the National American Legion headquarters, said the actions of the local churches are a breach of the U.S. Flag Code but no civil penalties can be administered.
    If there was a way to fix that, they would.

Why do you think that?
    I've heard too many prayers in Baptist churches over the years to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    The good thing about all of this happening is that mainline churches out there may finally understand that government is evil.
    They may but my hopes are slim....

I fear that this is a single issue for most, forest/trees kinda thing........

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And sure to rattle some mental cages.
    You wouldn't believe the hard-core "christians" positively frothing at the mouth over this for being 'disrespectful.'

lol huh.

My take:

God does not have a flag.

If God did have a flag, then flying the American flag above it would be disrespectful to God.

If people believe that the Protestant Church Flag is "God's Flag" then I do not understand their major malfunction when the Pledge says "one nation under God..."

Is it really disrespectful to make the symbolic claim that America is UNDER God rather than over Him? Isn't it MORE disrespectful to both God and America to claim that America is above God?

and finally,

How much you want to bet that both of these churches are still happily 501(c)3 congregations and the speech from their pulpits are subject to government regulation?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    How much you want to bet that both of these churches are still happily 501(c)3 congregations and the speech from their pulpits are subject to government regulation?
    It appears that I was wrong. Neither Elizabeth nor Focus are listed. I suppose it makes sense though, it probably wouldn't even occur to a 501 church to fly the Christian flag above the American flag. It would probably feel vaguely like blasphemy to them.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why do you think that?
    Religion, government...all about control. Susceptibility to one is susceptibility to the other.
    The church needs the masses to believe in authority. A preacher preaching on individuality and self-sustenance will preach himself right out of a job.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Can't find anything on whether they did the same in '16 and this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe