Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul Interview on Marijuana, Gay Marriage, and Cliven Bundy

Rand Paul Interview on Marijuana, Gay Marriage, and Cliven Bundy

Intervew with NBC 9NEWS in Denver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLmJXv9890

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's wrong with meeting with Bundy? I don't understand???

Rand is definitely becoming more of a politician. Rand needs to stop dodging the libertarian question. The interviewer gave him room to give a legitimate answer. He could have easily said that the word libertarian is misinterpreted and discussed how his views of libertarianism are really conservative

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    What's wrong with meeting with Bundy? I don't understand???
    Uhh he came off as a racist? He used the N word? Rand is trying to get more minorities involved in the GOP and hopefully libertarianism?
    Last edited by Vanguard101; 07-05-2015 at 07:15 PM.

That was a strange interview. Rand seemed like he was being very careful about everything he said and didn't answer the questions directly. So, he did talk to Bundy. It was not a 'meeting'. Bundy came to a rally and went up to talk to him and they engaged in a conversation regarding public land. He is being careful because the msm is portraying Bundy as a racist nut job. Rand was really suspicious about the motives of this interviewer...does the guy have a reputation for setting people up?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Rand is definitely becoming more of a politician. Rand needs to stop dodging the libertarian question. The interviewer gave him room to give a legitimate answer. He could have easily said that the word libertarian is misinterpreted and discussed how his views of libertarianism are really conservative

Uhh he came off as a racist? He used the N word? Rand is trying to get more minorities involved in the GOP and hopefully libertarianism?
    He said "negro", I guess that counts as the "n" word? Here is the video:

In Bundy's day "negro" was the common parlance for black people, not "African American". If you listen carefully to what he's trying to say, he's basically saying that government welfare created a situation for black people almost as bad, if not WORSE than slavery. By destroying the black family.

Listening to the video and his full remarks, it is very VERY clear that he isn't a racist. He's just a gruff old man that doesn't know quite how to articulate himself, and isn't up to date on all the modern PC terminology.

This is an example of the ravenous anti-logical unhinged destructiveness of social justice warriors and the PC movement. Blowing everything out of proportion, turning logic on it's head and coloring the world in a racist light by manufacturing evidence, deliberately taking statements out of context, and flat out ignoring statistical data that challenges their world view.
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 07-05-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Rand seemed pissed.

In Bundy's day "negro" was the common parlance for black people, not "African American". .
    Negro was considered a term of respect when I was young.

In Bundy's day "negro" was the common parlance for black people, not "African American". If you listen carefully to what he's trying to say, he's basically saying that government welfare created a situation for black people almost as bad, if not WORSE than slavery. By destroying the black family.

Listening to the video and his full remarks, it is very VERY clear that he isn't a racist. He's just a gruff old man that doesn't know quite how to articulate himself, and isn't up to date on all the modern PC terminology.

This is an example of the ravenous anti-logical unhinged destructiveness of social justice warriors and the PC movement. Blowing everything out of proportion, turning logic on it's head and coloring the world in a racist light by manufacturing evidence, deliberately taking statements out of context, and flat out ignoring statistical data that challenges their world view.
    Like are you 80 or do you not realize how offensive calling someone "colored people is"? Do you not realize how offensive calling someone "the negro is"? It doesn't matter what he said. That's offensive as $#@! by any standard and it's not some PC social justice warrior bs. If he's some backwards retard that can't get with the times, he will look like a racist. If you don't get what he said, you don't understand race relations.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like are you 80 or do you not realize how offensive calling someone "colored people is"? Do you not realize how offensive calling someone "the negro is"? It doesn't matter what he said. That's offensive as $#@! by any standard and it's not some PC social justice warrior bs. If he's some backwards retard that can't get with the times, he will look like a racist. If you don't get what he said, you don't understand race relations.
    Years ago, it wasn't offensive though. Why don't you try and understand rather than placing false labels on someone? You're trying to turn him into something he isn't.

Years ago, it wasn't offensive though. Why don't you try and understand rather than placing false labels on someone? You're trying to turn him into something he isn't.
    Decades ago it wasn't as offensive, but it was always offensive. Now, it is. I'm not turning him into anything. He did it to himself.

He is a true American hero and the establishment is just pissed because they got their asses handed to them when it counted. Him and the OathKeepers have shown that the Feds do NOT have the guns on their side and the people can do what they want regardless of the bogus federal courts. It's funny because I've never seen the establishment so outraged and powerless before. We can use the Oathkeepers as a bargaining tool with the Feds. If you don't want to pay income taxes or pay grazing fees or whatever you don't have to because of the Oathkeeper's and Cliven Bundy.

Years ago, people had separate water fountains, too.

Rand is definitely becoming more of a politician. Rand needs to stop dodging the libertarian question. The interviewer gave him room to give a legitimate answer.
    Rand needs to stay as far away from the "libertarian" label as possible. He isn't in favor of holding a gun to someone's head and forcing them to bake a cake for a same sex wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by squirl22 View Post
    That was a strange interview. Rand seemed like he was being very careful about everything he said and didn't answer the questions directly. So, he did talk to Bundy. It was not a 'meeting'. Bundy came to a rally and went up to talk to him and they engaged in a conversation regarding public land. He is being careful because the msm is portraying Bundy as a racist nut job. Rand was really suspicious about the motives of this interviewer...does the guy have a reputation for setting people up?
    It looked like a local guy, national candidates on campaign stops usually give a local station an exclusive. The interview usually go 1 of 2 ways- nothing but softballs, or push them hard. Ben Swann talked about this some in 2012. He was a local Ohio reporter at the time, and said the campaigns give them ahead of time the questions they want asked (normally about local issues), but these interviews are a rare opportunity to get a campaign in an otherwise controlled environment off script. Ben Swann got an interview with Mitt and Paul Ryan and asked them some uncomfortable questions about delegates. He also got one with Obama, asked about kill lists. Rand's campaign probably told them they wanted to talk about marijuana and the fundraisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Rand needs to stay as far away from the "libertarian" label as possible. He isn't in favor of holding a gun to someone's head and forcing them to bake a cake for a same sex wedding.
    ??

Blacks in America today don't have it as bad as blacks did as slaves. That's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Rand would also do well to avoid the phrase "states rights", which has a severe negative connotation to some. Instead, talk about "federalism" or "the 10th amendment" or "taking power from Washington and keeping it closer to the people",...etc. "States rights" is interpreted by many as the phrase people use when they need an excuse to keep racist or otherwise bigoted policies around for longer than they would otherwise be if it were left at the federal level.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Decades ago it wasn't as offensive, but it was always offensive. Now, it is. I'm not turning him into anything. He did it to himself.
    I was talking to an older black woman the other day and she was describing to me a musician whose name he was trying to remember, and she said "you know, he's a Caucasian man...".

So am I supposed to be offended that she said the word "Caucasian" in my face?

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I was talking to an older black woman the other day and she was describing to me a musician whose name he was trying to remember, and she said "you know, he's a Caucasian man...".

So am I supposed to be offended that she said the word "Caucasian" in my face?
    That is a false equivalence, some words that have become a symbol for racism in any context and you are not going to convince everyone to overlook their own bias because you don't understand that their experience and knowledge in life might be different then yours and that doesn't make them right but they are entitled to their own beliefs. Its more agreeable to just not use words that might offend people and that's why i don't ask fat women if they are pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    That is a false equivalence, some words that have become a symbol for racism in any context and you are not going to convince everyone to overlook their own bias because you don't understand that their experience and knowledge in life might be different then yours and that doesn't make them right but they are entitled to their own beliefs. Its more agreeable to just not use words that might offend people and that's why i don't ask fat women if they are pregnant.
    Maybe a "symbol of racism" in the eyes of hypersensitive nervous nellies who frame people for Orwellian thought crimes. The man says "negro", which is a word used by scientists to describe people with a certain phenotypic expression originating from sub Saharan Africa, all of a sudden he's a racist. We're not going to judge him based on what he feels in his heart, we're going to judge him based on his words.

These adjectives properly describe Cliven Bundy: Colloquial, antiquated, abrasive, offensive.

This adjective does NOT properly describe him: Racist.

Do we have to go back to 3rd grade kiddies? This is such a low level discussion I'm honestly ashamed to be having it. It's so childish, so simple minded. But this is where public discourse is nowadays. More evidence of the dumbing down of the population.

Like are you 80 or do you not realize how offensive calling someone "colored people is"?
    "Colored people"-Racist
    "People of color"- Modern PC term

Makes sense! Or it will after my lobotomy!

Do you not realize how offensive calling someone "the negro is"? It doesn't matter what he said. That's offensive as $#@! by any standard and it's not some PC social justice warrior bs.
    Yes it is.

If he's some backwards retard that can't get with the times, he will look like a racist. If you don't get what he said, you don't understand race relations.
    You're right. We better get to a reeducation camp... Sorry, I mean Ethnic Studies class ASAP!
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Bundy is a scientist? How hard is it to understand that you need to respect other peoples beliefs if you don't want to offend them?

These adjectives properly describe Cliven Bundy: Colloquial, antiquated, abrasive, offensive.

None of that has any place being associated with Rand's campaign.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This was a good interview. Most of america is skeptical of tv media anyways

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    "Colored people"-Racist
    "People of color"- Modern PC term

Makes sense! Or it will after my lobotomy!
    Maybe because "colored" was a label used to segregate (eg. "colored" restroom), but "of color" was not?

Don't make fun of the thought police if you are going to go around telling people when it is or isn't okay for them to be offended.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

??
    People loudly proclaiming themselves "libertarians" have on the one hand supported government force against private businesses like Melissa's Sweetcakes, and on the other hand defended Bundy's 'negro' comments. So on the right 'libertarian' looks like code for Social Justice Warriors, and on the left 'libertarian' looks like code for White Nationalists.

There are about a couple hundred or so people on my facebook feed - Republican Primary voters all - who utterly despise Rand Paul specifically and exclusively because people keep calling him a libertarian.

I, too, would avoid the label like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Maybe because "colored" was a label used to segregate (eg. "colored" restroom), but "of color" was not?
    You've put a lot more thought into this than they have.

Don't make fun of the thought police if you are going to go around telling people when it is or isn't okay for them to be offended.
    I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that they're stupid for being offended, and they should be adults and get the $#@! over it. I stopped trying to talk fools out of their foolishness age ago. That's a losing battle. Pointing out that someone is a weak little hothouse flower who falls to pieces when certain words are uttered is not "thought policing".
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Maybe a "symbol of racism" in the eyes of hypersensitive nervous nellies who frame people for Orwellian thought crimes. The man says "negro", which is a word used by scientists to describe people with a certain phenotypic expression originating from sub Saharan Africa, all of a sudden he's a racist. We're not going to judge him based on what he feels in his heart, we're going to judge him based on his words.

Do we have to go back to 3rd grade kiddies? This is such a low level discussion I'm honestly ashamed to be having it. It's so childish, so simple minded. But this is where public discourse is nowadays. More evidence of the dumbing down of the population.
    This is politics. Truth is irrelevant. Only perception matters. If you want to say "to hell with perception, tell the truth!" That's fine, but don't make any plans on electing a President.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    You've put a lot more thought into this than they have.

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that they're stupid for being offended, and they should be adults and get the $#@! over it. I stopped trying to talk fools out of their foolishness age ago. That's a losing battle. Pointing out that someone is a weak little hothouse flower who falls to pieces when certain words are uttered is not "thought policing".
    Sure! But "You are stupid, now get the fk over it" is simply not a winning electoral strategy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast