Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ME - Man launches large firework off his head, and gets killed.

Exclamation ME - Man launches large firework off his head, and gets killed.

Since fireworks have only been legalized in Maine since 2011, it will be interesting to see if they hold out or succumb to the inevitable "ban it all" crowd that is sure to be in full cry.

Left out is the obvious: that you can't legislate against or ban stupidity.

And launching a firework mortar off the top of your head is as about as stupid as it gets.

Fourth of July reveller is killed during attempt to launch a firework off his HEAD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3f2X7Xhyw

Published: 09:01 EST, 5 July 2015 | Updated: 10:44 EST, 5 July 2015

Maine State Police say a man celebrating the Fourth of July died when he tried to launch a firework off the top of his head.

Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, says 22-year-old Devon Staples of Calais had been setting off fireworks with friends on Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home.

He says Staples placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, injuring his head. He died instantly.

Police say the friends had been drinking.

McCausland says Staples' death marks Maine's first fireworks fatality since the state legalized fireworks several years ago.

Calais is in eastern Maine, on the Canadian border near New Brunswick.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Damn, I saw a video where a guy did that and was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Damn, I saw a video where a guy did that and was fine.
    So Darwin's theory can't explain everything?
    "The Patriarch"

Nope. It's just a theory.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

The Theory of Everything does not involve Darwin.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...64.RhKxFWmSavQ

Nope. It's just a theory.
    maybe, but we still have pre-Darwin Award nominations being taken as a pre-caution.

A FB comment on this story...

Does America have firework safety? We have ad campaigns in the UK about it.
    LOL, why yes we do.

Nothing about shooting them off your head in that video...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He says Staples placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, injuring his head. He died instantly.

Police say the friends had been drinking.
    I wonder if he said Hold my beer just before he set them off? Or is that just a southern thing?

Police said his friends had been drinking?

You mean he was that stupid stone cold sober?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I wonder if he said Hold my beer just before he set them off? Or is that just a southern thing?
    Dammit, must clean monitor now....

And no, it's not just a southern thing. (a lot of your beer is weak anyway, just sayin')
    "The Patriarch"

The last words of a southern red neck, "Hey Mama, watch this!"

I have a true redneck story. My Aunt called to tell me my cousin got arrested for a DUI and she said they also got him for having an open container. She was pissed about the open container charge because "it wasn't even a tallboy".

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    The last words of a southern red neck, "Hey Mama, watch this!"
    now that was funny...

RIP, my brother from another mother.

Is that the yo-yo that did this?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Is that the yo-yo that did this?
    Yep.

He probably doesn't look like that now.

Sorry. I'll go put myself in time out now.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    He probably doesn't look like that now.

Sorry. I'll go put myself in time out now.

I used to fly with a guy that would say, "hold my beer and watch this" during takeoff.
    Last edited by Danke; 07-06-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Dammit, must clean monitor now....

And no, it's not just a southern thing. (a lot of your beer is weak anyway, just sayin')
    Even weak beer is bad for monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Redneck is not a state...it's a state of mind.

Very sad.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I just to fly with a guy that would say, "hold my beer and watch this" during takeoff.
    Used to offshore race with a throttleman that said the same thing.

Some say the 4th of July celebrates him.

Some say he's single-handedly bought out a fireworks stand.

All we know is...he's called The Stig.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Police said his friends had been drinking?

You mean he was that stupid stone cold sober?
    He was just the designated suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Since fireworks have only been legalized in Maine since 2011, it will be interesting to see if they hold out or succumb to the inevitable "ban it all" crowd that is sure to be in full cry.

Left out is the obvious: that you can't legislate against or ban stupidity.
    And launching a firework mortar off the top of your head is as about as stupid as it gets.

Mom of man killed setting off fireworks on head: rules lax

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The mother of a man who tried to launch a firework off the top of his head for July Fourth and was killed instantly said Monday she's advocating for stricter controls about who can use the explosives.

Devon Staples, 22, and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in a backyard in Staples' eastern Maine hometown, Calais, when the accident happened with a reloadable fireworks mortar tube, police have said.

Staples' mother, Kathleen Staples, said she is going to reach out to lawmakers about the possibility of tighter controls over fireworks. The state should consider requiring safety training courses before allowing someone to use them, she said. She compared fireworks with other regulated items such as cars and guns.

"At least it'd be a little bit more than, 'Here you go,'" Staples said. "That's an explosive. They didn't just hand me a license and put me in the car."

Devon Staples also had lived in the Orlando, Florida, area, where he worked as a performer portraying Disney characters such as Gaston from "Beauty and the Beast" and Goofy, his mother said.

She said he believed the firework was "a dud" that was unlikely to hurt him. State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said that is unlikely because the mortar had been fired once previously and he "can't imagine someone would anticipate that it was a dud."

Staples' death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since it legalized fireworks on Jan. 1, 2012, authorities said. Lawmakers had voted to repeal a 1949 law banning fireworks, reasoning the industry would create jobs and generate revenue.

Democratic Rep. Michel Lajoie, a retired fire chief from Lewiston who has pushed to repeal Maine's fireworks law in the past, said Monday that he's considering trying to introduce another measure next year but acknowledged it faces long odds. Retailers have fiercely opposed any effort in the Legislature to restrict the use of fireworks.

Lajoie said even a ban might not prevent injuries and deaths.

"They're going to say, 'Well, you can't regulate stupidity' ... and it's true, you can't. But the fact of the matter is you have to try something," Lajoie said. "I'm not giving up."
    http://news.yahoo.com/mom-man-died-f...205543867.html

Mom of man killed setting off fireworks on head: rules lax

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-man-died-f...205543867.html
    TESTOSTERONE POISONING ^.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast