Thread: Would a Parliamentary system be a touch out of place for America?

Question Would a Parliamentary system be a touch out of place for America?

Hi,

I've been reading into Irish Presidential history, obviously where I happen to live nobody has that freedom to elect a head of state.

I was just giving a watch of President Hillery's inauguaration, which took place December 3 1983. This was his second term, he was not elected due to the fact that nobody attempted to open a contest.

It was interesting since it was a very simple swearing ceremony, a bit ugly, the stupid cloths, ridiculous hat, almost reminded me of the Upper class English. Awful!

I'm not class conscious as such, but certainly obviously from the poor.

Mr Hillery's first nomination was in 1976. There is no video footage for it, I don't know why, I may email the Aras website, Aras being the Irish word for home of the President, only religious ceremony nonsence, ofcourse that was also the in the second, but the point is, he took an oath to the constitution in Irish which is common, but not mandatory.

The Irish president only has two powers, close the parliament and refer bills to the supreme court. A president serves one term by election of the people or nomination by the parliament, if a sitting member of either chamber. And if the incumbent would like to serve again, he or she can nominate themselves again.

Other functions are, holding the commissions to Personnel, Ambassadors, changing of Prime Minister, and other members of the government, approved by parliament.

Um, so an open question here, is could America have a system like the Irish state where government and Head of state are seperate.

I was thinking how awful and crowded Barack's office is. One can't breath with policy and law going hand in hand, and leadership.

I suppose if America had been different in its founding, a system like this could of worked.

I hope in my kindom, an office like the one President Hillery vacated will exist. President Hillery was the last head of state to remain a constitutional office, in a way where it wasn't speechs, and functions. When his predecessor resigned due to embarrassment of having sent a bill to the supreme which required the government to intern citizens on suspicion of Irish terrorism in the North who were crossing into the state, O'Dalaigh thought he was doing the right action by making sure it didn't attempt to infringe on politicial freedoms of the people.

Swearing in begins at eight minutes in, a few remarks by President Hillery, and then leaves to meet the commanding officer, as Supreme Command of the Armed Forces, only a mention in the constitution, no command authority given. That is for the Minister for Defence.

An office with ten powers, two for the President, and as stated is the Supreme Command of the Military. That is the office, designed in the 1930's as a way to avoid dictatorship.

My view in fault, was with the previous head of state, McAleese, she was a two term head of state, she was a very active head of state, waffling on about this, and that. Even having spoken during 9/11, a position she didn't want to do, as what she stated was nonsence, as we all know America caused the attack by being so naughty in the region. She failed to tell the truth there and then, but she was just ignorant about it or scared for her career.

Anyway.

She served her one term, and in November 2004 began her second term for another seven years, she nominated herself, while at the time at least two citizens attempted to put themselves forward, but weren't allowed due to the government not taking any interest.

At the time, some citizens saw this as the government not wanting to put forward an election due to the fact that she was popular, she had been building bridges between North and South. McAleese took that same oath as Mr Hillery did decades before. So much for a head of state maintaining an oath, Article 5 of the Irish constitution states Ireland is democratic, that key word alone in a small sentence.
    Last edited by Republicanguy; 07-03-2015 at 05:05 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's hard to imagine an Irish head of state ever being impeached, only if they ever went nutty about not sending bills to the supreme court and just signing them on their own belief that it isn't unconstitutional.

Or serious rudeness towards diplomats or citizens. Perhaps lying a lot.

But since there is no policy, and only an allowed speech and function role to keep that head of state busy for one term if they choose. President Hillery certainly made sure in early 1982 that nobody could contact him to try and influence his hand in the dissolution of the lower parliament for an election. Now that is the one of two areas of accountability.

Ofcourse if that happens in the Kingdom, Her Majesty has nobody to be accountable to. If she makes a poor choice or is fixing a parliament somehow with such restrictions as there would be, nobody can ask her to leave.

From what little I've actually seen of them, they DO seem to be pretty entertaining.

What are you getting at exactly?

The UK Supreme court doesn't read bills at all, just hope they aren't messing about too much. People are too careless and hopeless for wanting change like this example.

On the Aras site, a couple of videos of President's O'Kelly and De Valera are missing, you'd think an important part of a component of state such as the oath would be available, clearly no citizens in the Irish state seem to really care. They don't know what they don't have until it's gone. There was once the consideration to close the office. Seriously! I might support a utopian world government, but you just build one without a balance and check on power.

I did find seeing President McAleese who after her swearing in, some weeks later she visited Personnel in Lebanon serving under the UN flag in the cause for peace for the communities there. I read her book in early 2009, I had always wanted to view the video footage if any there was, which there is.

Those personnel so stiff and cold, and this lady President who never had such a freedom to serve in the Defence Forces, stand tall Madam President!!

Her predecessor President Mary Robinson, visited Somalia and wanted to show to the International community how bad it was there, she was even emotional about it. She served almost one term, and resigned in September 1997 to join the United Nations as Human rights commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    What are you getting at exactly?

The UK Supreme court doesn't read bills at all, just hope they aren't messing about too much. People are too careless and hopeless for wanting change like this example.

On the Aras site, a couple of videos of President's O'Kelly and De Valera are missing, you'd think an important part of a component of state such as the oath would be available, clearly no citizens in the Irish state seem to really care. They don't know what they don't have until it's gone. There was once the consideration to close the office. Seriously! I might support a utopian world government, but you just build one without a balance and check on power.

I did find seeing President McAleese who after her swearing in, some weeks later she visited Personnel in Lebanon serving under the UN flag in the cause for peace for the communities there. I read her book in early 2009, I had always wanted to view the video footage if any there was, which there is.

Those personnel so stiff and cold, and this lady President who never had such a freedom to serve in the Defence Forces, stand tall Madam President!!

Her predecessor President Mary Robinson, visited Somalia and wanted to show to the International community how bad it was there, she was even emotional about it. She served almost one term, and resigned in September 1997 to join the United Nations as Human rights commissioner.
    More than likely, I'm not really getting AT anything. Just providing an answer to the thread OP question. <shrug!>