Thread: Antidepressants affect people’s moral behaviour, study finds

Antidepressants affect people’s moral behaviour, study finds

Moral behaviour is usually considered the province of philosophers and ethicists, but a new study suggests the way we treat others is actually tied to our brain chemistry.

Researchers from the University College London have found that commonly prescribed antidepressant medication can affect people’s decision-making when choosing between whether to act selfishly or selflessly.

In an experiment involving 175 healthy adults where participants had the power to both administer and receive electric shocks, researchers sought to investigate how much pain people were willing to inflict on either themselves or others in exchange for money.

But it wasn’t just a straight study to determine who would act selfishly and who wouldn’t. Half the group were randomly selected to receive the serotonin-enhancing antidepressant citalopram, while the other half were given a dopamine-booster, levodopa, used in treating Parkinson’s. Each group receiving medication was then compared against a group that received only a placebo.

The two medications had a marked impact on the dilemma facing the ‘decider’ group - the participants given control over the electric shocks - essentially, how many shocks should they inflict on themselves and another in order to maximise a cash reward, with more zaps equalling a better financial return.

The researchers found that, among the deciders in the zapping experiment, those receiving a one-off dose of citalopram were willing to pay almost twice as much to prevent harm to themselves or others when compared to a placebo group. In contrast, zappers on levodopa acted more selfishly, displaying a preference for harming others for the cash reward.

“Our findings have implications for potential lines of treatment for antisocial behavior, as they help us to understand how serotonin and dopamine affect people’s willingness to harm others for personal gain," said Molly Crockett, the lead author of the research. “We have shown that commonly-prescribed psychiatric drugs influence moral decisions in healthy people, raising important ethical questions about the use of such drugs.”

The findings, published in Current Biology, follow on from other research showing that drugs can have the effect of making people more compassionate. Studies in this area could have important ramifications for how antidepressants and other kinds of mood-altering medications are tested, with researchers arguing for a broader model that incorporates looking at the kinds of real-world behaviour that medication users could demonstrate in the long term.

“Patients [taking these drugs] are tracked in terms of how their symptoms improve, but not necessarily in terms of how their behaviour changes,” Crockett told Hannah Devlin at The Guardian.

“In the treatment of Parkinson’s, some patients go on to develop compulsive gambling and compulsive sexual behaviour. The drugs have consequences that reach out into the world beyond the patient.”
    http://www.sciencealert.com/antidepr...ur-study-finds
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The drugs have consequences that reach out into the world beyond the patient.
    The active shooter syndrome ?

Moral behaviour is usually considered the province of philosophers and ethicists, but a new study suggests the way we treat others is actually tied to our brain chemistry.
    there's really nothing new about that

sociopathic brain chemistry:

1. About 101,000 results (0.23 seconds)

Search Results

1. What Are the Causes of Sociopathic Behavior? |

www.livestrong.com › Diseases and Conditions

2. Jan 28, 2015 - A person who is considered to be a sociopath has developed behaviors ... to have chemical imbalances that prevent this area of the brain from ...

3. Sociopath World: Sociopath = broken brain?

www.sociopathworld.com/2008/11/sociopath-broken-brain.html

4. Maybe the altered or deviantly formed brain causes sociopathy. .... experiences are caused by physical chemistry acting on our physical neurons in our brains.

5. Sociopaths LIke Cho Seung - The Criminology of What ...

www.viewzone.com/sociopath.html

6. The American Psychiatric Association defines a sociopath as follows: ... The abnormal anatomy or chemical activity within this area of the brain may be caused ...

7. Can You Make a Sociopath—Either Through Brain Injury or ...

www.scientificamerican.com › ... › Ask the Brains

8. Scientific American

Aug 2, 2012 - Severe trauma to specific regions of the brain can cause a person to undergo marked personality changes, such as in the famous case of ...

9. Brain difference in psychopaths identified - Phys.org

phys.org › Medicine & Health › Psychology & Psychiatry

10. Phys.org

Aug 4, 2009 - ... the brain which may provide a biological explanation for psychopathy. ... subtle changes in brain chemistry as well as form and development, ...

11. Sociopathy and Brain Chemistry - Dream Views

www.dreamviews.com › ... › Off-Topic Discussion › Extended Discussion

12. Jul 19, 2012 - 17 posts - ‎5 authors
      I've been thinking lately about sociopathy and brain chemistry. Many who I share my true feelings with (pretty much entirely through the ...

13. Brain imbalance 'causes' psychopaths | Daily Mail Online

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Brain-imbalance-causes-psychopaths....

14. Daily Mail

Psychopathic behaviour could be linked to an imbalance in brain chemicals. ... tendencies also had high levels of a chemical responsible for aggression.

15. A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret : NPR

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

16. NPR

Jun 29, 2010 - For nearly 20 years, neuroscientist Jim Fallon has studied the brains of ... orbital cortex] are either free-wheeling types or sociopaths," he says.

17. Brain Chemicals and Psychopathic Pleasure | The Writer's ...

https://writersforensicsblog.wordpress.com/.../brain-chemicals-and-psych...

18. Mar 15, 2010 - So rather than being completely devoid of emotion and feeling, it might be that some sociopaths are driven by a chemical need. I am reminded ...

19. The Brain of a Sociopath | DailyGood

www.dailygood.org/2010/07/02/the-brain-of-a-sociopath/

Jul 2, 2010 - While brain chemistry and genes play their part, his research indicates that a caring environment can make all the difference. (4899 reads).

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

For better or worse? Or is it all just hopeless, and who really gives a crap?

Finally a study of worth to share on this topic, I have long strongly suspected this but it's nice to see some correlation...Suze, I'm outa rep for you Darlin...so I have to just give you an old fashioned thanks instead!
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Finally a study of worth to share on this topic, I have long strongly suspected this but it's nice to see some correlation...Suze, I'm outa rep for you Darlin...so I have to just give you an old fashioned thanks instead!
    Got you covered Cap.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Is Zip off today? Oh wait, yeah that's right, they have a 3 day weekend.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Got you covered Cap.
    Woo Hoo, I double dipped on this thread. I'll spread it around now.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Sorry, but that analogy...never mind. It's all good.
    On Trump:

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

You deserve many more.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You deserve many more.
    Double dippings?

Is Zip off today? Oh wait, yeah that's right, they have a 3 day weekend.
    It's against the forum rules to assert that people are shills. ANd of course you have no evidence to support that theory, but that doesn't deter you in the slightest.

What do you think Zip would find objectionable here? It doesn't support any of the conspiracy theory crap that clings to the RPF underbelly. Or perhaps you didn't read the article?

The findings, published in Current Biology, follow on from other research showing that drugs can have the effect of making people more compassionate

Seems to contraindicate the active shooter syndrome (which doesn't exist) tie-in.
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-05-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's against the forum rules to assert that people are shills. ANd of course you have no evidence to support that theory, but that doesn't deter you in the slightest.

What do you think Zip would find objectionable here? It doesn't support any of the conspiracy theory crap that clings to the RPF underbelly. Or perhaps you didn't read the article?

Seems to contraindicate the active shooter syndrome (which doesn't exist) tie-in. [/COLOR]
    Not all.

In contrast, zappers on levodopa acted more selfishly, displaying a preference for harming others for the cash reward.