Thread: Any thoughts on eckhart tolle

Any thoughts on eckhart tolle

Just finished the power of now and starting on a new earth. Recommended by a fellow Ron Paul supporter and Christian. Was curious what people here thought? Did not find much in the search.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    Just finished the power of now and starting on a new earth. Recommended by a fellow Ron Paul supporter and Christian. Was curious what people here thought? Did not find much in the search.
    I googled his name, and read his wiki page. Maybe he was a spiritual teacher in a past life and thus has returned to being one in this life. I don't feel drawn to his teachings, but if they help you and other people I'm all for it. I did notice you your profile says you're from Hawaii, can I come surf and sleep on your couch? Oh, yeah, what do you think of his meditation practices and such? Do you find them helpful? Readings books don't help much if you don't do the exercises provided!

Well I just started... I have some history as a Quaker practicing silent worship which is a form of meditation. Eckhart does not seem to be talking about specific meditation techniques per say but rather about his philosophy of the unconscious thinking mind. He believes people are sort of trapped by their thinking minds and made miserable by things either in the past or imaginary future, he calls this a state of unconsciousness. He says to be conscious means to live in the now accepting things as they are, not really thinking about them. A lot of what he says is basically things I have believed for a long time and he does seem to spell it out real simple, almost to simple and ties it in some with buddhism, christianity etc... its a bit of the "all one", but at the same time a lot of common sense philosophy. Like I said I just started with it and I am not finding it easy to be "Conscious", I have always been a heavy thinker and it frequently makes me miserable. Its interesting to say the least and does not really contradict any of my beliefs per say. He is not against thinking, he just believes one needs to figure out how to live in the "now" first and be "conscious" and then ones thinking is actually improved. Curious to see if anyone else had any experience with it here? I certainly need to find a way to "center" myself as there is a lot that has me thinking negative these days. So meditation, prayer, whatever I am trying to find peace in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    Well I just started... I have some history as a Quaker practicing silent worship which is a form of meditation. Eckhart does not seem to be talking about specific meditation techniques per say but rather about his philosophy of the unconscious thinking mind. He believes people are sort of trapped by their thinking minds and made miserable by things either in the past or imaginary future, he calls this a state of unconsciousness. He says to be conscious means to live in the now accepting things as they are, not really thinking about them. A lot of what he says is basically things I have believed for a long time and he does seem to spell it out real simple, almost to simple and ties it in some with buddhism, christianity etc... its a bit of the "all one", but at the same time a lot of common sense philosophy. Like I said I just started with it and I am not finding it easy to be "Conscious", I have always been a heavy thinker and it frequently makes me miserable. Its interesting to say the least and does not really contradict any of my beliefs per say. He is not against thinking, he just believes one needs to figure out how to live in the "now" first and be "conscious" and then ones thinking is actually improved. Curious to see if anyone else had any experience with it here? I certainly need to find a way to "center" myself as there is a lot that has me thinking negative these days. So meditation, prayer, whatever I am trying to find peace in myself.
    It's difficult for me to live in the "now" as you put it. I went for a walk today to try and do that, but my monkey mind kept jumping, so I had to keep centering myself. Practice makes perfect. Good luck with whatever practices you choose to help your body, mind, and soul!