View Poll Results: Are you in favor of restricting sales of Energy Drinks to minors 18+?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.00%
  • No

17 85.00%
  • Not sure

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you in favor of restricting sales of Energy Drinks to minors 18+ ?

Los Angeles, CA

Are you in favor of restricting sales of Energy Drinks to minors 18+ ?

The energy drinks are very harmful for kids. Here are some death cases among kids and teens due to them. Are you in favor to restrict their sales to minors under age 18 ? This is not about taking people's liberty away. It just dealing with protecting those under 18 from harms.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    The energy drinks are very harmful for kids. Here are some death cases among kids and teens due to them. Are you in favor to restrict their sales to minors under age 18 ? This is not about taking people's liberty away. It just dealing with protecting those under 18 from harms.
    How do you "protect" them without taking their liberty away?

To the poll, no, I'm not in favor of restricting energy drinks.

Third parties (non-parents) should be restricted in their behavior toward children, though, and I don't mean just physical abuse.

They should be prohibited from aiding a child in unwittingly harming itself.

For instance, a person who gives a child a loaded gun, and the child proceeds to kill himself accidentally, should be liable.

But an energy drink isn't a loaded gun. I don't think it's an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    How do you "protect" them without taking their liberty away?
    Minors do not have liberty; they're wards of their custodians.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 07-02-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Minors have parents to take care of this "problem". Some minors die of diabetes complications, ya know. Therefore, ban sweetened sports drinks and soda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    They have a certain degree of liberty (such as liberty to drive for some teens)-it's just that the liability belongs mostly to the parents/custodians.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I am in favor of energy drink without artificial sweeteners which might keep some people from dying after consuming them

Los Angeles, CA

Very correct ! I understand only, when it comes the absurdity against adult people of age like saying that you are an adult at 18 for all things, but you can't buy alcohol till 21 or 25. Or government takes rights to smoke and drink coffee from adults to 21, by so-called health issue. Also, to discriminate the elderly people on something due to their senile ages. But kids are kids, and in many countries they have restrictions in full.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    They have a certain degree of liberty (such as liberty to drive for some teens)-it's just that the liability belongs mostly to the parents/custodians.
    Yes, they have some rights, but not the rights of adults.

My point was only that certain restrictions which, if placed on an adult would violate his rights, do not violate the rights of the child.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless the OP is talking about those custodians "protecting" their own kids from energy drinks, that answer doesn't cut it.

If the state is doing the protecting, then these kids are de facto wards of it, and both their and their parents' liberty are being violated.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I am in favor of energy drink without artificial sweeteners which might keep some people from dying after consuming them
    Even with artificial sweeteners some people consume them without dying.

I would not sell a product to a consumer that I was convinced had the possibility of killing them at such a young age. So, yes.

Unless the OP is talking about those custodians "protecting" their own kids from energy drinks, that answer doesn't cut it.

If the state is doing the protecting, then these kids are de facto wards of it, and both their and their parents' liberty are being violated.
    This^^

Los Angeles, CA

Russian Federation pushes the minimum age for Energetics. Many people there to bar minors under 18 from them, likewise the law went in effect with GLBT propaganda ban to minors under 18. That's another good step in newborn Republic.

Yeah cause teenagers always stay within the law.

Forget about the state, we're talking about the law - imagine it's being enforced by private defense agencies.

My position (I guess you disagree) is that non-parents may be held liable for assisting a child in injuring himself.

By way of analogy...

Suppose I have a glass of iced tea. I know there's cyanide in it and you don't. If I hand it to you, and you drink it and die, am I liable?

Yes, clearly.

Now suppose I have a loaded gun. I know how it works, little Timmy doesn't. If I hand it to him, and he accidentally shoots himself and dies, am I liable?

I think so.

As I said, this doesn't apply to energy drinks, the "danger" is too trivial.

I'm just establishing a general principle about non-parent responsibilities toward children.

No. Go to the GNC and you'll find many other potentially harmful products. There are so many other similar products that would not be covered with this ban, and many other completely unrelated products that pose similar or even worse adverse health risks. I think it's implausible to creative a ban that would umbrella every single potentially harmful product. Even an attempted ban still wouldn't stop a kid from: getting it from someone else or getting other potentially dangerous products.

There are also variations in individual risk. A slow metabolizer of caffeine, could experience heart palpitations from 1 venti-sized light toast coffee (light roast coffee beans have the highest caffeine content) at Starbucks.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is it just me, or does the OP seem somewhat reminiscent of fire11?

Is it just me, or does the OP seem somewhat reminiscent of fire11?
    Vaguely.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Vaguely.
    I rather hope it is. Could use some lolz in these rather dreary times.

I rather hope it is. Could use some lolz in these rather dreary times.
    Debby Downer would be a step up.
    "The Patriarch"

Energy drinks must be the next phase of the drug war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    The threat has never been this bad.
    "The Patriarch"

I say the PEZ dealers need to be taken out first. They get teh kids hooked at a young age-a gateway drug(TM) for sure.

If you're goal is to get them onto harder stuff, like Adderall, then I suppose this is a good idea.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If you're goal is to get them onto harder stuff, like Adderall, then I suppose this is a good idea.
    What's with the homosexual avatar?

What's with the homosexual avatar?
    There's this:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...icture-a-Psyop

I was trying to be ironic sorta. And somebody had to do it.

I do support gays getting married and wish them the best with their lives, I would sell them a cake and consider opening a business that catered to nothing but gay weddings if it was profitable.

But I don't know if the Supreme Court decision was the way to go about it. I realize it may negatively affect Christian's rights and that I'm not ok with.

If it is any consolation, you will see that I turned the flag upside down I don't think anybody has caught that yet.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-02-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This ^^^ +rep

I don't let my kids have them but if they get their hands on one, I don't want them to go to jail for it. When you call for restricting sales, I hope you realize you're involving the state and their enforcers (police) in what is clearly a parenting matter. I bet police are more dangerous to children than energy drinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I say the PEZ dealers need to be taken out first. They get teh kids hooked at a young age-a gateway drug(TM) for sure.

My son's a Pez collector.

Go Go Juice Recipe: Honey Boo Boo Child Drinks Mountain Dew and Red Bull [Video]

http://www.inquisitr.com/191985/go-g...ed-bull-video/

Even with artificial sweeteners some people consume them without dying.
    True but many children have died of SCD @ their athletic events after having consumed a diet soda. It has happened enough times that many coaches have banned the consumption of diet drinks by the athletes. For the people who are sensitive to aspartame it affects the electrical conduction system of the heart causing SCD(sudden cardiac death). I would not doubt that many people who die of SCD have recently consumed a diet drink of some kind. Aspartame is a known neuro toxin making bad for the brain as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast