Thread: Unbaked cake = $135,000

Unbaked cake = $135,000

WTF?

Christian bakers fined $135,000 for refusing to make wedding cake for lesbians

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...-lesbians.html

The owners of a mom and pop bakery have just learned there is a significant price to pay for following their religious beliefs.

Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of Sweet Cakes By Melissa, have been ordered to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple after they refused to bake them a wedding cake in 2013.

Click here to follow Todd on Facebook for Conservative Conversation!

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) awarded $60,000 to Laurel Bowman-Cryer and $75,000 in damages to Rachel Bowman-Cryer for “emotional suffering.”

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” the final order read. “It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.”

According to the BOLI, the lesbian couple suffered great angst. One of the women “felt depressed and questioned whether there was something inherently wrong with the sexual orientation she was born with.” They said she had “difficulty controlling her emotions and cried a lot.”

The other woman “experienced extreme anger, outrage, embarrassment, exhaustion, frustration, intense sorrow and shame” simply because the Kleins refused to provide them with a wedding cake.

Jeez. That must have been one heck of a cake.

It sounds as if the state of Oregon is sending a stern warning to Christian business owners like the Kleins.

“Within Oregon’s public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society,” the ruling states. “The ability to enter public places, to shop and dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry.”

Does The Bureau of Labor and Industry truly believe that Christians who want to follow the teachings of their faith are bigots?

It certainly seems to me the only entity guilty of unfettered bigotry is the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry.

Since the day they turned away the lesbian couple’s business, the Kleins have suffered greatly. Their business was subjected to boycotts and pickets. LGBT activists and their supporters threatened any wedding vendor that did business with Sweet Cakes By Melissa.

Mrs. Klein told me her five children were subjected to death threats -- death threats for simply refusing to participate in a same-sex wedding. That doesn’t sound very tolerant to me.

Eventually, the bullying became so severe the family had to shut down their retail store and Mr. Klein had to take a job picking up garbage. Today, Mrs. Klein continues to make cakes in her home.

“We were just running our business the best we could – following the Lord’s example,” she said. “I’m just blown away by the ruling. They are punishing us for not participating in the wedding.”

Mr. Klein said he plans on appealing the ruling and had harsh words for BOLI Commissioner Brad Avakian.

“This man has no power over me,” Klein said. “He seems to think he can tell me to be quiet. That doesn’t sit well with me and I refuse to comply.”

Mr. Klein accused the BOLI of ordering him to not speak publicly about the case – an order he said is unconstitutional.

“When my constitutional freedoms have been violated by the state I’m going to speak out,” he said. “That’s the way it is.”

Regardless, the Klein case has demonstrated once again that gay rights trump religious liberty. Other Christian business owners should pay close attention.

The Kleins had a choice. They could obey the government or they could obey God. They chose God – and now they must pay the price.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right to refuse service to anyone(just don't say why or it's illegal)
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Must be more of that phreedumb I keep hearing about

That doesn’t sit well with me and I refuse to comply
    Good for you.

Here's a picture of the offensive government functionary;

BOLI Commissioner Brad Avakian

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Welcome to the homosexual empire.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

#LoveWins with violent government force.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    “This man has no power over me,” Klein said. “He seems to think he can tell me to be quiet. That doesn’t sit well with me and I refuse to comply.”

Mr. Klein accused the BOLI of ordering him to not speak publicly about the case – an order he said is unconstitutional.

“When my constitutional freedoms have been violated by the state I’m going to speak out,” he said. “That’s the way it is.”
    I like this guy!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good thing this guy was not their pastor:

So now we are being controlled by 1%. It's a different 1% than we've seen over the last twenty years, but it's 1% all the same.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Incidentally, that is $365K less than the money that famous human civil rights activist Terry Bean raaised for dronegangsta.

A prominent gay rights activist charged last week with sexually abusing a 15-year-old boy is a strong supporter of President Obama who has visited the White House more than a half-dozen times in the past two years, visitor logs show.
    Terrence P. Bean, 66, who raised more than a half-million dollars for Mr. Obama’s re-election campaign in 2012, last visited the White House on May 30 when he met with the president, first lady Michelle Obama and political adviser David Simas.
    Fundraiser charged with child sex abuse frequently met with Obama

Now wonder how much money this baker's supporters would raise:
    Pro Religious Freedom Act Indiana pizzeria that closed after threats gets $130K in support

The fact that those 2 lesbians think it's perfectly acceptable for that family bakery to be subject to death threats and a $135,000 fine which forces them to close down their bakery because they didn't bake them a $#@!ing cake is the pinnacle of feeling entitled. I kind of refuse to believe this story is real because of how ridiculous it is. I'm sorry, but I fail to see how having you life ruined for refusing to bake a gay person a cake is anywhere remotely close to the "emotional distress" of baking a gay cake.

They couldn't have a local campaign to try to get the family to change what they feel is the err of ways, or go to another bakery, no, they have to be hateful, spiteful, and abuse the strong arm of government to not only get their way, but punish the "culprits" severely for daring to say no.

edit: Now that I think about it. Where does the business owner say they won't make a cake because they were gay? I thought he didn't make a gay wedding cake out of principles. So if the two lesbians wanted any other kind of cake he would most likely have made it. If a straight person went asking for a gay marriage cake he most likely would decline too, so would that be discrimination against the straight person's sexual orientation? Shaking my head.
    Last edited by Warrior_of_Freedom; 07-03-2015 at 01:36 AM.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Christian bakers who refused to make lesbian couple a wedding cake are given record $370,000 by online supporters

They should not pay it and use the $370k for continuing the legal fight, evading the law in the meantime and if all else fails for arming a militia as a show of force against the Progressive religious zealots. I would rather die than to bow to their god.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Christian bakers who refused to make lesbian couple a wedding cake are given record $370,000 by online supporters
    Good!

I hope they're able to relocate somewhere friendlier, somewhere more in tune with their beliefs.

The gay rights movement is just another form of government tyranny.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    The gay rights movement is just another form of government tyranny.
    Agree, and this great leap stateward is supported by many egalitarians masquerading as libertarians.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    They should not pay it and use the $370k for continuing the legal fight, evading the law in the meantime and if all else fails for arming a militia as a show of force against the Progressive religious zealots. I would rather die than to bow to their god.
    No, they should respond to hate with love.
    Stop believing stupid things

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Since the law also criminalizes discrimination based upon race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status and age ... shouldn't those titles also be added to the name of the empire?
    So theoretically I could claim discrimination if I wanted to live in a retirement center?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

So why just christian bakers just getting flak for this? How come muslim bakers dont encounter this?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    So why just christian bakers just getting flak for this? How come muslim bakers dont encounter this?
    because white heterosexual Christians are the new Jews.

- Edward R. Murrow

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    it's perfectly acceptable for that family bakery to be subject to death threats and a $135,000 fine ...pinnacle of feeling entitled.

They couldn't have a local campaign to try to get the family to change what they feel is the err of ways, or go to another bakery, no, they have to be hateful, spiteful, and abuse the strong arm of government to not only get their way, but punish the "culprits" severely for daring to say no.
    Talk to a cop about his pension, or an old person about Medicare. Yes they will have you beat without a whim to get their entitlements.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are better ways the baker could have handled it. Just give them something to munch on for f's sake.

Last edited by presence; 07-19-2015 at 08:21 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The bakery should move to Indiana.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 01:06 PM.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 01:07 PM.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 01:07 PM.