Thread: Hawaii Becomes First State To Fully Ban Plastic Bags

Hawaii Becomes First State To Fully Ban Plastic Bags

Hawaii on Wednesday became the first state in the union to fully ban plastic bags at grocery stores after Oahu joined other island counties in enforcing the prohibition.

The ban prohibits grocery stores from offering plastic or other non-recyclable bags to customers. Businesses that don’t comply with the new ordinance will be fined $100 per day, or up to $1,000 for repeat offenders.

California has been moving toward a similar ban, but has encountered roadblocks along the way. After Gov. Jerry Brown signed a measure banning plastic bags effective July 1, opponents were able to postpone its implementation by qualifying for a referendum that will put the issue to voters in November 2016, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Supporters are confident voters will uphold the ban, noting that more than 100 California cities and counties have already enacted their own prohibitions on plastic. Supporters plan to spend $10 million to campaign for voters to vote “yes.”

In Hawaii, grocery stores can choose how they will enforce the ban, either by providing compostable, recyclable bags or reusable bags. Plastic bags will still be able to be used for restaurant takeout, newspapers, and at pharmacies.

Hawaii County outlawed plastic bags for groceries in 2013, while Maui and Kauai banned them about five years ago.

Maui’s ban has led to a “massive decrease” in plastic bags, the county’s Solid Waste Division chief said, according to Hawaii News Now.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/hawaii-...ho#.ihOKQokLmD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In Hawaii, grocery stores can choose how they will enforce the ban ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I am glad plastic causes great harm to the oceans.

Among the other litter, wrappers, diapers, etc. I saw a reusable "green" grocery tote littering hwy 11 the other week. Tru story -I lol'd

Should ban those things.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Well, now they will have to pollute and cut down more trees to get more paper bags.

so you're supposed to put raw meat in paper or something?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

They do clog up the environment. Those 3rd party costs you know? What we really need in this situation is biodegradable plastic. Plastic is basically a bunch of organized Carbon chains after all. What would be nice is some sort of biological organism such as a bacteria that could feed on plastic and convert it into something useable by the ecosystem. Who knows! You bioengineering people, get on that!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Yes. All we had was paper bags when I was a kid. Then they brought out plastic and you had a choice. If I remember correctly, they were pushing plastic to save the trees. O_o

I have reusable bags because plastic bags suck and I don't want to make 50 trips from the van to the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

And the island then instantly sinks beneath the waves.

Jan2017

Plastic water bottles all over Boulder from last weekend's triathalon - in gutters and in landscaping
    and will end up downstream in creek - they will never go away . . .

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Well, now they will have to pollute and cut down more trees to get more paper bags.
    Thank goodness those cottonwood trees grow in 6 years to make pulp isn't it (?)
    - totally renewable farming, and the trees are just great for sucking out the carbon dioxide on the planet -
    cut them down, then grow another tree.

Sure wish damn Bouilder, Colorado wasn't so friggan dumb 'bout dat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Thank goodness those cottonwood trees grow in 6 years to make pulp isn't it (?)
    - totally renewable farming, and the trees are just great for sucking out the carbon dioxide on the planet -
    cut them down, then grow another tree.

Sure wish damn Bouilder, Colorado wasn't so friggan dumb 'bout dat.
    The point remains that Suz is correct - plastic bags were promoted in some effort to save the trees. But tree-huggers brought 'em in, and tree huggers can take 'em out, I guess.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The point remains that Suz is correct - plastic bags were promoted in some effort to save the trees.
    But tree-huggers brought 'em in, and tree huggers can take 'em out, I guess.
    and the point remains . . . Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono
    Dumb arse haole sola fide always saying thing arse-backwards out of his pie-hole,
    eh brudda Kimo dis' haole make good shark bait . . . eh ?

Yup, wahine is. was, and still is right - after all the life of the land is perpetuated in rightousness.
    the point remains that Maui no ka oi leads,
    Oaha finally coming around as well -
    Cali next hopefully.

Plastic is $#@! - the point remains !
    Last edited by Jan2017; 08-08-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spellin' haole words

Um..that's what they did before plastic.

I suppose plastics would give off toxic fumes if it was thrown in that giant perpetual incinerator they have over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    I suppose plastics would give off toxic fumes if it was thrown in that giant perpetual incinerator they have over there.
    or just burn those plastic milk jugs in your backyard in Simi Valley too -
    great for getting the ppm of carbon dioxide to 500 soon enuf, eh (?)

Ti leaves work.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE