Thread: Chicago 'cloud tax' to add cost to Netflix, other streaming services

Chicago 'cloud tax' to add cost to Netflix, other streaming services

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesk...701-story.html

Netflix, Spotify and other streaming services just got more expensive in Chicago as an update to the city’s amusement tax went into effect Wednesday.
    The change adds a 9 percent tax to Chicago residents’ subscriptions to streaming services such as Netflix and the paid version of Spotify.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For The Children!!! Tax for streaming!
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

I'm confused. So that's 9% on top of any state sales tax?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

.... for what reason? Other than these services being popular, what reason is there to tax them?

I would be ok with a 9% amusement tax...........if all other taxes were abolished.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

bs!! our gas tax in ga just went up 26 cents per gallon. also they are adding more tax to hotel fees for "the roads".

I think the 9% amusement tax should be used to pull pranks on public officials
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

Tax on Streaming Services Takes Effect in Chicago, Netflix, Spotify Prices to Rise 9%

http://truthinmedia.com/tax-on-strea...ces-to-rise-9/

Chicago's consumers of streaming services like Netflix, Spotify, and some online games will begin paying 9% more for their subscriptions starting in September of this year under a new ruling by the Chicago Department of Finance that applies the city's amusement tax to streaming services used within city limits.
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are there things that cant be taxed? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Are there things that cant be taxed? Lol.
    No. There is not.

Could someone, anyone, for the love of grits and ham please explain to me how the government on any level is burdened with the cost of a streaming service? i'd also love to hear how this isn't double taxation.

Quote Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
    Could someone, anyone, for the love of grits and ham please explain to me how the government on any level is burdened with the cost of a streaming service? i'd also love to hear how this isn't double taxation.
    I think property tax is a larger issue than netflix when it comes to double, triple, quadruple, lifetime quarterly taxation.

- Edward R. Murrow

What's next taxing our farts and burps?

Quote Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
    It doesn't matter to them, they're severely overextended so in order to keep their voting base obligations must be met.

If you want to see Chicago change overnight don't let the government there cut checks on credit.

Are we taxed on the political "amusement" of our sacred overlords?
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post
    What's next taxing our farts and burps?
    Carbon tax, so yep.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And to think we started a revolution basically over tax on tea..

Time to educate people in Chicago how to avoid geo-location to use these services.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

I would love to see them post the phone number to the Mayor's office as the complaint line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Chicago sued over 'amusement tax' on streaming services Netflix, Spotify

WASHINGTON – A group of Chicago residents is suing the city for allegedly trying to sneak in a 9 percent tax on streaming services like Netflix, Spotify and Amazon Prime.

The non-profit Liberty Justice Center filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court on Wednesday claiming the city had no authority to impose the tax, approved in June, which is expected to result in bill hikes for thousands of Chicagoans.

The suit argues the city Finance Department’s decision is illegal, and the comptroller "exceeded his authority." Specifically, the suit claims the tax was slipped in using a creative interpretation of an old municipal code. Instead of passing a new tax, the city extended Chicago's existing "amusement tax" to include paid subscriptions for streamed digital music, TV shows and games.

Chicago city officials estimate the 9 percent amusement tax will raise $12 million annually to help close a budget gap.

But the lawsuit argues that Chicago aldermen should have had a vote in the decision to tax.

Each district in Chicago is represented by an alderman elected to serve a four-year term. There are 50 aldermen on the Chicago City Council.

"No aldermen voted on this tax,” Jeffrey Schwab, an attorney with the Liberty Justice Center, told The Chicago Tribune. “It never went before the Chicago City Council, which makes the so-called 'Netflix tax' an illegal tax. If the city wants to tax Internet-based streaming media services, then it should put the measure through the political process, and let Chicagoans have their voices heard through the democratic process."

More than two dozen other states charge for certain digital services. Washington has a 52-cent sales tax on a monthly Netflix subscription. In Wyoming, Mississippi and Vermont, residents pay an additional tax on music downloaded from iTunes. New Yorkers are charged an extra 12 cents to download the game Angry Birds.

At issue in Chicago is the way the tax was imposed.

Even if Chicago’s aldermen had voted in favor of the tax, the conservative-leaning Liberty Justice Center says it would still be illegal because the definition of “amusement” under the law doesn’t include gaming or audio services.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration says "fairness" is one reason the tax is now being applied to Internet streaming of songs, movies and other programming. That content has long been taxed when delivered via big screens, cable TV, videotape or DVDs.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...?intcmp=hplnws
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Even if Chicago’s aldermen had voted in favor of the tax, the conservative-leaning Liberty Justice Center says it would still be illegal because the definition of “amusement” under the law doesn’t include gaming or audio services.
    You know we're pretty much screwed when they even have a definition for "amusement" "under the law" ...

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration says "fairness" "coz we da gummint, so $#@! you" is one the only reason the tax is now being applied to Internet streaming of songs, movies and other programming.
    Fixed it for them.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-12-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Washington has a 52-cent sales tax on a monthly Netflix subscription. In Wyoming, Mississippi and Vermont, residents pay an additional tax on music downloaded from iTunes. New Yorkers are charged an extra 12 cents to download the game Angry Birds.
    Clearly all of these taxes are unconstitutional under the new interpretation of the "equal protection" of the 14th Amendment.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Clearly all of these taxes are unconstitutional under the new interpretation of the "equal protection" of the 14th Amendment.
    Bringing up the constitution as evidence is no longer valid. Wikipedia is much more consistent in content and meaning than the Constitution.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Time to educate people in Chicago how to avoid geo-location to use these services.
    Yeah, the same people who voted these individuals into power. right...
    I say double the $#@!ing tax, or triple it, "if you can afford Netflix, you can afford a 25% amusement tax."
    Think of the children...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    You know we're pretty much screwed when they even have a definition for "amusement" "under the law" ...
    Too nuanced for most of the people. They see no danger in this.