Thread: The tax refund scam

The tax refund scam

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tax-refu...s-steve-kroft/

"It's a tsunami of fraud that we have been encountering. The vast number of fraudulent tax returns was something that I don't think the IRS ever really was ready for."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As we first reported in September, this is how it works. Someone steals your identity, files a bogus tax return in your name before you do and collects a refund from the IRS. It's so simple, you would think it would never work, but it does. It's been around since 2008, you'd think the IRS would have come up with a way to stop it, it hasn't. Instead the scam's gone viral, tripling in the last three years.
    I did taxes this past season, and it happened quite a bit.

But the bigger scam is the EITC.

the tax system itself is a scam, and the government is directly responsible if they make it that easy for unauthorized persons to do that. Obv. they never like to take the blame.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    the tax system itself is a scam, and the government is directly responsible if they make it that easy for unauthorized persons to do that. Obv. they never like to take the blame.
    of all people you'd think the federal gubmint is competent enough to verify addresses and bank accounts. so much for "big brother knows all about my every move".

Last year they caught some people who were even running this refund scam from prison.

You'd think people would have developed enough sense by now to adjust their withholding to the point where they owed a few dollars at the end of the year, instead of being due a refund that the government is looking for excuses to steal themselves--and if they can't they don't care who does.

What do you say about a government that can't prevent or prosecute theft, because it's too busy doing it and enabling others to do it?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-01-2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Maybe it wasn't fraud and some of these people just misunderstood one or two of the 75,000 pages of federal tax code?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Maybe it wasn't fraud and some of these people just misunderstood one or two of the 75,000 pages of federal tax code?
    No, they use the SSNs of other people and file ASAP, so by the time the real taxpayer gets his/her paperwork in, a faux refund has already been processed. This will end up making the case for abolishing paperwork. The Obamacare form is the test for the system.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I dont have the ability to tax folks and my friends and I, as a group, we don't have the right to tax anyone.....

Hmmmm, if the individual cannot tax and they get their power to tax from the Constitution that gets its power from the people??? hmmm 404 not found

Weird, they must just use violence to enforce their opinion I guess.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    No, they use the SSNs of other people and file ASAP, so by the time the real taxpayer gets his/her paperwork in, a faux refund has already been processed. This will end up making the case for abolishing paperwork. The Obamacare form is the test for the system.
    Obviously, the only solution is to have our employers pay the Federal government 100% of our wages and allow one central agency determine how to mete it back to us once they've determined how much we should get. It would do away with rich people trying to find loopholes to escape taxes. And we'd all know each week if our check didn't arrive.

Yeah, I think that's best.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    And Obamacare is a great way for us to make people see the problem. This government which accepts tax returns from just anyone (and will prosecute you if this identity thief violates a tax law or three in the process of filling out your return for you) is the same government that is now overseeing everything related to your physical and mental health. So, what happens when the records of someone whose name and social security number both happen to be similar to yours, but is not allergic to penicillin like you are, gets mixed up with yours? Will you be able to convince the doctor or nurse not to stick the stuff in your veins and kill you? Will you be in any condition to do so?

And if you do survive that, what happens if that same person is a kleptomaniac? Will you be able to get a job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.