Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teens storm Georgia Wal-Mart in wild rampage of destruction

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Wish I had been in the sports section near the baseball bats when they dragged the man from his stroller. There would have been plenty of them for the cops to pick up once they arrived.
    It would be the right thing to do for which you would be applauded for, at least here, on Conservative websites, FNC and talk radio. Yet the MSM and comments on their sites, Reddit, etc, would be labeling it as white supremist Paul supporter attacks black youths and demanding hate crime charges filed.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Simply to ship $#@!ty product would eliminate your "practically" as nothing more than empty rhetoric. Wal-Mart profits anywhere at 1 to 3 percent. They have to move billions of pounds of merchandise to even do that much. And as I mentioned, determine what it costs to simply ship a pallet and then come back to me and explain where the "practically" comes into play at.
    Thanks for injecting sanity into this discussion.... Danno, you go find me a business that counts losses based on wholesale cost.
    That business doesn't exist.
    Moreover, the law is going to consider retail cost, not wholesale cost.
    If you walk into Wal-Mart and steal a TV that retails for $951.00, you're getting charged with felony grand larceny for an amount over California's $950 misdemeanor limit, regardless whether the wholesale cost is the $10 you think it is, or the $941.99 KC thinks it is.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Thanks for injecting sanity into this discussion.... Danno, you go find me a business that counts losses based on wholesale cost.
    That business doesn't exist.
    Moreover, the law is going to consider retail cost, not wholesale cost.
    If you walk into Wal-Mart and steal a TV that retails for $951.00, you're getting charged with felony grand larceny for an amount over California's $950 misdemeanor limit, regardless whether the wholesale cost is the $10 you think it is, or the $941.99 KC thinks it is.
    Mark up on their TVs is literally about a percent. Mark up on coaxial cables, for instance, is near 60 percent.

They don't make their money selling TVs. They only carry them because it draws customers in.

If you see an employee with a Telxon, have them scan an item. It'll tell you the mark up.

Now if someone wants to argue that Samsung, for instance, makes a television for ten dollars, I might just say, "Okay, for argument's sake, they make relatively complex electronics for pennies and sell them for dollars." But it is not Wal-Mart that sees that profit, which was more my point. Though I seriously doubt that with the purchasing power Wal-Mart has, they are paying Samsung more than a couple points above manufacturing cost.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

In general, WalMart stores easily manage to receive, stock and sell they're products even before the inventory gets updated or the invoices arrive.

Now that's turnover magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Kids will be kids.
    You have written a response. It is, of course, a valid and welcomed point of view that we can all appreciate. Really, really wonderful response. Thank you so much for sharing with the class your unique version of what you think liberty is, Brian.

Hopefully it's just vandalism, and no violence on persons. Assault and/or battery is an entirely different story.
    "Just" vandalism, oh yes, "just" vandalism! Would you rather be beaten up a little, no permanent damage, or incur a $50,000 loss? I'll tell you, for myself: give me the bruises and bloody nose. Theft, vandalism, etc., takes away the portion of the person's life that created that property. It is a crime against a person's life just as surely as karate chopping them. The karate chop may just lead to a few days, or even a few minutes, of pain. Vandalism, on the other hand, might undo the results of a year of hard work, or even of many years.

Of course, this is just one point of view and is probably wrong and yours is probably right and in any case your thoughts are totally valid.

Assault and/or battery is an entirely different story.
    It is not a different story, it is the same story. Haven't you ever worked for something worth defending? Haven't you ever worked long and hard for something such that you're willing to stand up like a man and risk bodily harm to defend it? I have. Let me assure you: it is the same story. You only get one life. The fruits of your labors are not "just things." You have traded pieces of your life for them, pieces that you cannot get back. A man's property is an extension of his person. If you come vandalize my place and smash my stuff, it's like breaking my leg.

Unacceptable. Totally, outrageously unacceptable. These vandals are scum, they are human filth. And you say 'Ah, well, kids will be kids.' And I appreciate your sharing of that point of view and hope you feel safe to continue sharing those views, and know that you are accepted and loved here, regardless of your views on anything.

You are correct that reparation is always the best justice -- at least you've gleaned something from Rothbard. But reparation via "hard work"? Not from these worthless animals. I wouldn't want them "working" anywhere near anything I was doing. No, total 100% (or more) purely financial reparations are called for. And since these despicable detritus are probably void of any redeeming value whatsoever, they would likely have to come up with the funds through forced organ donations. Good.

But then again, kids will be kids, and I don't want you to in any way feel that that point of view might be anything less than fully and wholeheartedly accepted here on RPF. This is an emotional safe harbor for you. Your view is just as valid as anyone else's, and you deserve to have it validated. Consider that done.
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 07-02-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Unbelievable response. Are you serious? Really, really stupid response. I find it harder and harder to relate to, or even comprehend, your unique version of what you seem to think is liberty, Brian.
    Yeah, you do have a hard time relating to and comprehending other people. We all know that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Yeah, you do have a hard time relating to and comprehending other people. We all know that.
    Thanks. You're such a good moderator.

An organized criminal mob intentionally and maliciously vandalizes and destroys private property. Oh, those goofy kids and their antics! Always acting so silly! Ah, youth. LOL!

Thanks. You're such a good moderator.
    I'm just another person posting in this thread at the moment. Generally, moderators would recuse themselves from moderating a discussion that they are actively involved in.

Now, if a moderator were to address you, they would probably remind you of the Forum Guidelines. Some relevant portions:

The site has established debate principles to help achieve productive discourse, the usage of these principles is always encouraged and required for dissent to site established efforts that are working towards the advancement of our Mission Statement. The principles are:
    • Follow the site's Usage Guidelines, taking particular care not to use ad hominem attacks and insults against others. This means don't say "You're [some derogatory term]"
    • Debate only in proper context; start a new thread if necessary.
    • Present your position in an intellectual manner, provide reasoned supporting details.
    • Maintain a respectful disposition.
    • Do not claim something to be true/false without presenting proof.
    • Work to get along with other participants, ask clarifying questions before casting negative assumptions.
    • Use extreme care to not misrepresent what you are arguing against. Ask clarifying questions before casting potentially inflammatory misrepresentation.
    • Remember to be respectful and work to achieve the purpose of advancing the site's Mission Statement.
    Being respectful

Maintaining a proper decorum is essential for any group, and is critically important for online political forums, being respectful of others is an important part of that and required by the Site Usage Guidelines. Here are some examples of being respectful vs. not:
    • "You're an idiot for thinking that." -- not respectful since you statement is based on an insult.
    • "Here are the problems with your line of thinking..." -- respectful, you don't have to agree and can present logical counter-arguments.
    • "Troll" -- calling other members a troll is not respectful and implies you know the intent of the member.

Religious context:
    • "God does not exist" -- not respectful since you are declaring others' religious doctrine wrong without a proof.
    • "I disagree with your beliefs" -- respectful, you don't have to agree, but you can still be amicable about it.
    • "Your church services are stupid" -- not respectful, you can certainly think they don't have value, or think they are not at all of interest to you, but they may be important to others and there's no point in demonizing them - no public policy will change.
    • For complete deals see this special instructional thread.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1989
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I'm just another person posting in this thread at the moment. Generally, moderators would recuse themselves from moderating a discussion that they are actively involved in.

Now, if a moderator were to address you, they would probably remind you of the Forum Guidelines. Some relevant portions:

The site has established debate principles to help achieve productive discourse, the usage of these principles is always encouraged and required for dissent to site established efforts that are working towards the advancement of our Mission Statement. The principles are:
    • Follow the site's Usage Guidelines, taking particular care not to use ad hominem attacks and insults against others. This means don't say "You're [some derogatory term]"
    • Present your position in an intellectual manner, provide reasoned supporting details.
    • Work to get along with other participants, ask clarifying questions before casting negative assumptions.
    • Use extreme care to not misrepresent what you are arguing against. Ask clarifying questions before casting potentially inflammatory misrepresentation.
    • Remember to be respectful and work to achieve the purpose of advancing the site's Mission Statement.
    Being respectful

Maintaining a proper decorum is essential for any group, and is critically important for online political forums, being respectful of others is an important part of that and required by the Site Usage Guidelines. Here are some examples of being respectful vs. not:
    • "You're an idiot for thinking that." -- not respectful since you statement is based on an insult.
    • "Here are the problems with your line of thinking..." -- respectful, you don't have to agree and can present logical counter-arguments.
    • "Troll" -- calling other members a troll is not respectful and implies you know the intent of the member.

Religious context:
    • "God does not exist" -- not respectful since you are declaring others' religious doctrine wrong without a proof.
    • "I disagree with your beliefs" -- respectful, you don't have to agree, but you can still be amicable about it.
    • "Your church services are stupid" -- not respectful, you can certainly think they don't have value, or think they are not at all of interest to you, but they may be important to others and there's no point in demonizing them - no public policy will change.
    • For complete deals see this special instructional thread.
    It's pretty tacky to insult someone else, even in response to a perceived or real insult, then run behind guidelines as a moderator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    It's pretty tacky to insult someone else, even in response to a perceived or real insult, then run behind guidelines as a moderator.
    Point taken, but the Guidelines were brought up due to the Moderator reference, not before.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    teens...
    microaggression...

Kids...
    microaggression...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Yoots......
    macroaggression...you're all reported.

Brian, I happen to think that I do maintain a high level of decorum. If you differ, and clearly you do, you ought to let me know specifically how I am failing, and in fact failing so badly that I am falling below the threshold of permitted conversation and violating forum guidelines. For you to just paste in a large lump of text is of little value to me in knowing how to improve. I am relatively sure that most of the lump you pasted I have never violated and is not relevant. Let's just go through it:

I think I am pretty careful to follow this rule. I can and often will call points of view [insert term]. For example, I called your response stupid. I can do that. I can do that all day long. I think, in fact, upon reflection, you yourself may now realize that it was a stupid response and you wish you had phrased it differently, so as to seem less sympathetic to criminal bandits. But it is the response that was stupid, and not you. I do not think that you are stupid. Even if I did think that about someone, what would be the benefit of saying so? Plus, it is against forum rules. So, CHECK!, I am in good compliance with this rule.

I do not know for sure what this means, no one does, but I do try to stay on topic (though often presenting a "twist," to make my participation worthwhile, otherwise there would be no point to writing nor reading my posts). Sometimes there is thread drift. For instance, you (not me) have wrested this into a discussion over whether I have violated site guidelines. Obviously this discussion is not in proper context in this thread, which is about something else. But, I go with it. Is that wrong? Maybe. But I'm amicable. If you want to talk about how I'm a horrible person, hey, I'm game.

I do not do this 100% of the time by any means, but I often do. Often enough to not be breaking site guidelines? Hey, your call.

I think I do this quite well. I don't generally take things personally. For instance, even though you clearly despise me, hey, that's OK, and I will +rep you and laud you if you make a good point. If somehow you could read a random sample of my posts here over the years, I think in that in even a very small random sample you are likely to come across multiple instances of people being insulting, rude, and belligerent towards me, and me patiently and unfailingly replying on a high level.

Well, I fail this all the time, but so do we all, and what really constitutes "proof"? Is anything ever proven? Such metaphysical discussions are likely outside the intended scope of the RPF guidelines.

I definitely do this. I tend to just assume the best of everyone. There's a good group of folks on RPF, in my opinion (though many very good ones have left us over the years).

Probably this is one you feel as if I have violated here. You think I have mischaracterized your view. As a cure for feeling this way, perhaps you should do a Google (or DuckDuckGo) search for the phrase "kids will be kids" and see what that phrase is generally intended to convey.

Yep, I do that. Think I don't? How about finding some examples and pasting 'em on in here.

I have never, not once in eight years, posted this, nor anything like this, to my knowledge.

Ah yes, I do do that all the time.

I have never, not once in eight years, called any other member a troll, to my knowledge.

I do not think I have ever posted this.

I don't think I have ever posted this, either, actually.

I have never posted this.

In summary, I do not have any way of knowing what gross violation(s) you are calling me out for. I just do not; sorry! It would be helpful if you could specify. Thanks!

Do you want me gone, is that what you are saying? If you and the other moderators want me gone, hey, you don't have to show me the door. I'll be gone. You won't have to put up with my guideline violations any more. Just maybe check with the other mods and make sure they're on board with you.

Los Angeles, CA

These stupid kids are products of this last deranged Generation Y.

I think I am pretty careful to follow this rule. I can and often will call points of view [insert term]. For example, I called your response stupid.
    That's a fine line. Someone could conceivably take that as insulting.

If somehow you could read a random sample of my posts here over the years, I think in that in even a very small random sample you are likely to come across multiple instances of people being insulting, rude, and belligerent towards me, and me patiently and unfailingly replying on a high level.
    Yes, that has happened with some frequency as you point out. And perhaps that should be an indicator that some people have found your responses insulting.

I definitely do this. I tend to just assume the best of everyone.

Probably this is one you feel as if I have violated here. You think I have mischaracterized your view.
    You clarify after you call something "stupid?" Once again, it's conceivable that someone would still take offense.

In summary, I do not have any way of knowing what gross violation(s) you are calling me out for. I just do not; sorry! It would be helpful if you could specify. Thanks!
    Hopefully that helped to clarify. You're welcome.

Kids will be kids. Hopefully it's just vandalism, and no violence on persons. Assault and/or battery is an entirely different story. But they should catch and prosecute the vandals. Some creative punishment would be in order, which would preferably involve some type of hard work to make reparations.
    And now for the full intent of "Kids will be kids."

From the moment it was typed, it was meant to be hyperbolic, ironic, cliche, and yet somewhat empathetic and true, all at the same time. Kids do stupid things. It's pretty common. This type of flash mobbing has become in-style with teenagers. And as I suggested, there needs to be real consequences and punishment, not the counter-productive farce that our legal system doles out these days.

I feel like I would simply explode in rage if something like this happened in my store/property. I don't think the results would be good.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    I feel like I would simply explode in rage if something like this happened in my store/property. I don't think the results would be good.
    How many of that teen thug wannabe type are currently incarcerated? I'm guessing that a few million more should be and soon will be.

And the cultural whining will still continue. Which lives matter, is it?
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-02-2015 at 04:44 AM.

How many of that teen thug wannabe type are currently incarcerated? I'm guessing that a few million more should be and soon will be.
    Government and her goons aren't going to fix this.........

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Government and her goons aren't going to fix this.........
    What are your solution ideas?

What are your solution ideas?
    Not in 1's-n-0's.........

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty
    And as I suggested, there needs to be real consequences and punishment, not the counter-productive farce that our legal system doles out these days.
    Yea make them go to work for Walmart...

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Yea make them go to work for Walmart...
    That would probably be ruled as "cruel and unusual punishment".

Not in 1's-n-0's.........
    How about in English or hexadecimal?

That's a fine line. Someone could conceivably take that as insulting.

it's conceivable that someone would still take offense.

Hopefully that helped to clarify. You're welcome.
    Yes, thank you very much. Bottom line: you are implicitly claiming that I violated the site rules by criticizing your post too harshly in this thread. I will remove the forbidden words, since I absolutely respect the property rights of the site owner, Brian, and you are his authorized surrogate. Other, bigger bottom line: you are also implicitly claiming that any post to which "it's conceivable that someone would still take offense" is forbidden on this forum. OK. If that's how it is, that's how it is. Thanks, Brian,

Yes, thank you very much. Bottom line: you are implicitly claiming that I violated the site rules by criticizing your post too harshly in this thread. I will remove the forbidden words, since I absolutely respect the property rights of the site owner, Brian, and you are his authorized surrogate. Other, bigger bottom line: you are also implicitly claiming that any post to which "it's conceivable that someone would still take offense" is forbidden on this forum. OK. If that's how it is, that's how it is. Thanks, Brian,
    Getting offended has become a pathetic booming major growth industry in Amerika.

No worries, women who wish to put little into raising their offspring are still popping them out and women who would make ideal mothers are made to feel guilty for wanting a family, and if they are super-maternal then they are chastised for wanting more than two.

This country is not on the right course because of this.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward777 View Post
    No worries, women who wish to put little into raising their offspring are still popping them out and women who would make ideal mothers are made to feel guilty for wanting a family, and if they are super-maternal then they are chastised for wanting more than two.

This country is not on the right course because of this.
    Absitively! Plus several other really sad reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12