View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself a libertarian?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 71.11%
  • No

13 28.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many of You Consider yourself to be a Libertarian?

How Many of You Consider yourself to be a Libertarian?

Many of the loudest voices on RPF seem to be at odds with the libertarianism, although they do tend to hold many libertarian principles. So the question is, do you consider yourself a libertarian? And if you don't, what is it specifically that sets you at odds with libertarianism?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On a good day I'm a libertarian, when I think something about the system is salvageable. On the worse days I see the whole corrupt structure of all governments as nothing but scaffolding to convince us to consent to servitude, and I am an anarchist.

Are you meaning a member of the Libertarian Party (so called) [oxymoron]?

If so, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Are you meaning a member of the Libertarian Party (so called) [oxymoron]?

If so, NO!
    No, just the philosophy in general

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    No, just the philosophy in general
    Then YES, for 40 some years now. That is, when I'm not too busy now also being an anarchist.

Q: What is the difference between a libertarian and an anarchist?

A: 20 years.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 06-30-2015 at 04:08 AM.

I don't.

[edit]

The minute a person identifies with a preconceived label, especially a political one, they've opened themselves up for some other person's interpretation of that label.

Why would a sane individual choose to associate themselves with a philosophy someone else feels entitled to define?
    Last edited by tod evans; 06-30-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

No.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I don't.

[edit]

The minute a person identifies with a preconceived label, especially a political one, they've opened themselves up for some other person's interpretation of that label.

Why would a sane individual choose to associate themselves with a philosophy someone else feels entitled to define?
    Why would any libertarian give a crap about some goober's bogus BS half-assed definition? Who gives a crap about what they feel entitled to do either?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would any libertarian give a crap about some goober's bogus BS half-assed definition? Who gives a crap about what they feel entitled to do either?
    I don't know seeing as how I don't identify as one...

Why would any libertarian give a crap about some goober's bogus BS half-assed definition?
    I shouldn't have to, because they're objectively wrong about it.
    But reality is reality. And in this reality, "anarchist" has a specific, commonly used, completely incorrect usage.
    I try to use the word "stateless" whenever possible. Yes, it's only because people are too stupid to agree on definitions before making judgments, but "stateless" is not a loaded word to begin with.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    On a good day I'm a libertarian, when I think something about the system is salvageable. On the worse days I see the whole corrupt structure of all governments as nothing but scaffolding to convince us to consent to servitude, and I am an anarchist.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I shouldn't have to, because they're objectively wrong about it.
    But reality is reality. And in this reality, "anarchist" has a specific, commonly used, completely incorrect usage.
    I try to use the word "stateless" whenever possible. Yes, it's only because people are too stupid to agree on definitions before making judgments, but "stateless" is not a loaded word to begin with.
    anarchist

/ˈænəkɪst/

noun 1. a person who advocates the abolition of government and a social system based on voluntary cooperation

Different strokes for different folks. <shrug!>

Many of the loudest voices on RPF seem to be at odds with the libertarianism, although they do tend to hold many libertarian principles. So the question is, do you consider yourself a libertarian? And if you don't, what is it specifically that sets you at odds with libertarianism?
    There's so many levels to "libertarianism" obviously that it make the question sort of moot. I mean within the continuum of Libertarianism, there's a myriad of beliefs as to what level anyone chooses to subscribe to.

I mean just what is your frame of reference for anyone to be considered a "libertarian"???
    Last edited by Terry1; 06-30-2015 at 11:04 AM.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    There's so many levels to "libertarianism" obviously that it make the question sort of moot. I mean within the continuum of Libertarianism, there's a myriad of beliefs as to what level anyone chooses to subscribe to.

I mean just what is your frame of reference for anyone to be considered a "libertarian"???
    “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” -- Albert Einstein

"Complexity is the essence of the con and the hustle."

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” -- Albert Einstein

"Complexity is the essence of the con and the hustle."
    And then there's always the true facts that seem to ruin illusions about how things should be. --Terry1

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Different strokes for different folks. <shrug!>
    Where did you get that? The definitions I pull up are all negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Obviously, we mean Glenn Beck, Bill Maher, and people like that who have claimed to be libertarian.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Yes, I consider myself a conservative leaning Austro-minarchist who believes in free will, the imperativeness of self reliance, and voluntary association; I have a hunch that the people who voted "No" are paleoconservatives as they are the only closest ideological group to believe in such individualist principles.

Yup. But my own "flavour" of it. Like most libertarians, I'm a hard-to-herd cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Sadly, most dictionaries seem to have a very strongly negative erroneous statist bias.

anarchist definition

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...17.rrDX4Vj7FE8

mixed bag.

Compare the histories of the statist violence to the anarchist violence. They are not even in the same universe.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 06-01-2016 at 09:10 PM.

labels
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Basically yes. Mostly I just want people to leave me alone.

And I'm even more willing to leave others alone just because it ain't worth my time worrying about others. I have my own stuff to worry about.

If Glenn Beck and Greg Gutfield are libertarians... I want nothing to do with it
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone believing Glenn Beck is actually a libertarian is a bit like saying: "Tony Blair is the man of the people."

I marked yes, even though I more identify as a neo-conservative, because liberty and freedom are cool ideas that I like alot
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    If Glenn Beck and Greg Gutfield are libertarians... I want nothing to do with it
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    They're not. So therefore??????

Forget it, those reasons are just so incredibly lame. The feelings are mutual.

Obviously, we mean Glenn Beck, Bill Maher, and people like that who have claimed to be libertarian.
    I remember years ago Bill O'Reilly making that same claim too--of all people! Yeah--the guy who chose Romney over Dr. Paul---LOL

Yea, I consider myself a libertarian.

I use the term in two different ways, depending on the context of the conversation.

1. If we're talking academically, then a libertarian is someone whose ethical ideal is a purely voluntary society (i.e. a society where property rights are universally respected). I meet this description. Within this group there are two broad sub-categories: minarchists and anarchists. Each believes that their system is the closest possible approximation to the ideal. I'm a minarchist, incidentally.

2. If we're talking about practical politics, elections, etc, then I use the term more broadly (ala libertarian-ish), to mean anyone who's in favor of radically smaller government (even if the part they want to preserve is a bit larger than what we doctrinaire libertarians would like). Obviously, I'm in this group as well.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 06-30-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast