Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Warning from Canada: Same-Sex Marriage Erodes Fundamental Rights

Lightbulb A Warning from Canada: Same-Sex Marriage Erodes Fundamental Rights

I am one of six adult children of gay parents who recently filed amicus briefs with the US Supreme Court, asking the Court to respect the authority of citizens to keep the original definition of marriage: a union between one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others, so that children may know and may be raised by their biological parents. I also live in Canada, where same-sex marriage was federally mandated in 2005.

I am the daughter of a gay father who died of AIDS. I described my experiences in my book: Out From Under: The Impact of Homosexual Parenting. Over fifty adult children who were raised by LGBT parents have communicated with me and share my concerns about same-sex marriage and parenting. Many of us struggle with our own sexuality and sense of gender because of the influences in our household environments growing up.

We have great compassion for people who struggle with their sexuality and gender identity—not animosity. And we love our parents. Yet, when we go public with our stories, we often face ostracism, silencing, and threats.
    I want to warn America to expect severe erosion of First Amendment freedoms if the US Supreme Court mandates same-sex marriage. The consequences have played out in Canada for ten years now, and they are truly Orwellian in nature and scope.

Canada’s Lessons

In Canada, freedoms of speech, press, religion, and association have suffered greatly due to government pressure. The debate over same-sex marriage that is taking place in the United States could not legally exist in Canada today. Because of legal restrictions on speech, if you say or write anything considered “homophobic” (including, by definition, anything questioning same-sex marriage), you could face discipline, termination of employment, or prosecution by the government.

Why do police prosecute speech under the guise of eliminating “hate speech” when there are existing legal remedies and criminal protections against slander, defamation, threats, and assault that equally apply to all Americans? Hate-crime-like policies using the terms “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” create unequal protections in law, whereby protected groups receive more legal protection than other groups.

Having witnessed how mob hysteria in Indiana caused the legislature to back-track on a Religious Freedom Restoration Act, many Americans are beginning to understand that some activists on the Left want to usher in state control over every institution and freedom. In this scheme, personal autonomy and freedom of expression become nothing more than pipe dreams, and children become commodified.

Children are not commodities that can be justifiably severed from their natural parentage and traded between unrelated adults. Children in same-sex households will often deny their grief and pretend they don’t miss a biological parent, feeling pressured to speak positively due to the politics surrounding LGBT households. However, when children lose either of their biological parents because of death, divorce, adoption, or artificial reproductive technology, they experience a painful void. It is the same for us when our gay parent brings his or her same-sex partner(s) into our lives. Their partner(s) can never replace our missing biological parent.

The State as Ultimate Arbiter of Parenthood

Over and over, we are told that “permitting same-sex couples access to the designation of marriage will not deprive anyone of any rights.” That is a lie.

When same-sex marriage was legalized in Canada in 2005, parenting was immediately redefined. Canada’s gay marriage law, Bill C-38, included a provision to erase the term “natural parent” and replace it across the board with gender-neutral “legal parent” in federal law. Now all children only have “legal parents,” as defined by the state. By legally erasing biological parenthood in this way, the state ignores children’s foremost right: their immutable, intrinsic yearning to know and be raised by their own biological parents.

Mothers and fathers bring unique and complementary gifts to their children. Contrary to the logic of same-sex marriage, the gender of parents matters for the healthy development of children. We know, for example, that the majority of incarcerated men did not have their fathers in the home. Fathers by their nature secure identity, instill direction, provide discipline, boundaries, and risk-taking adventures, and set lifelong examples for children. But fathers cannot nurture children in the womb or give birth to and breast-feed babies. Mothers nurture children in unique and beneficial ways that cannot be duplicated by fathers.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that men and women are anatomically, biologically, physiologically, psychologically, hormonally, and neurologically different from each other. These unique differences provide lifelong benefits to children that cannot be duplicated by same-gender “legal” parents acting out different gender roles or attempting to substitute for the missing male or female role model in the home.

In effect, same-sex marriage not only deprives children of their own rights to natural parentage, it gives the state the power to override the autonomy of biological parents, which means parental rights are usurped by the government.

Hate Tribunals Are Coming

In Canada, it is considered discriminatory to say that marriage is between a man and a woman or that every child should know and be raised by his or her biological married parents. It is not just politically incorrect in Canada to say so; you can be saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, fined, and forced to take sensitivity training.
    Anyone who is offended by something you have said or written can make a complaint to the Human Rights Commissions and Tribunals. In Canada, these organizations police speech, penalizing citizens for any expression deemed in opposition to particular sexual behaviors or protected groups identified under “sexual orientation.” It takes only one complaint against a person to be brought before the tribunal, costing the defendant tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. The commissions have the power to enter private residences and remove all items pertinent to their investigations, checking for hate speech.

The plaintiff making the complaint has his legal fees completely paid for by the government. Not so the defendant. Even if the defendant is found innocent, he cannot recover his legal costs. If he is found guilty, he must pay fines to the person(s) who brought forth the complaint.

If your beliefs, values, and political opinions are different from the state’s, you risk losing your professional license, job, or business, and even your children. Look no further than the Lev Tahor Sect, an Orthodox Jewish sect. Many members, who had been involved in a bitter custody battle with child protection services, began leaving Chatham, Ontario, for Guatemala in March 2014, to escape prosecution for their religious faith, which conflicted with the Province’s guidelines for religious education. Of the two hundred sect members, only half a dozen families remain in Chatham.

Parents can expect state interference when it comes to moral values, parenting, and education—and not just in school. The state has access into your home to supervise you as the parent, to judge your suitability. And if the state doesn’t like what you are teaching your children, the state will attempt to remove them from your home.
    Teachers cannot make comments in their social networks, write letters to editors, publicly debate, or vote according to their own conscience on their own time. They can be disciplined or lose any chance of tenure. They can be required at a bureaucrat’s whim to take re-education classes or sensitivity training, or be fired for thinking politically incorrect thoughts.

When same-sex marriage was created in Canada, gender-neutral language became legally mandated. Newspeak proclaims that it is discriminatory to assume a human being is male or female, or heterosexual. So, to be inclusive, special non-gender-specific language is being used in media, government, workplaces, and especially schools to avoid appearing ignorant, homophobic, or discriminatory. A special curriculum is being used in many schools to teach students how to use proper gender-neutral language. Unbeknownst to many parents, use of gender terms to describe husband and wife, father and mother, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, and “he” and “she” is being steadily eradicated in Canadian schools.

Which Is More Important: Sexual Autonomy or the First Amendment?

Recently, an American professor who was anonymously interviewed for the American Conservative questioned whether sexual autonomy is going to cost you your freedoms: “We are now at the point, he said, at which it is legitimate to ask if sexual autonomy is more important than the First Amendment?”

Under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Canadian citizens were supposed to have been guaranteed: (1) freedom of conscience and religion; (2) freedom of thought, belief, opinion, and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication; (3) freedom of peaceful assembly; and (4) freedom of association. In reality, all of these freedoms have been curtailed with the legalization of same-sex marriage.

Wedding planners, rental halls, bed and breakfast owners, florists, photographers, and bakers have already seen their freedoms eroded, conscience rights ignored, and religious freedoms trampled in Canada. But this is not just about the wedding industry. Anybody who owns a business may not legally permit his or her conscience to inform business practices or decisions if those decisions are not in line with the tribunals’ decisions and the government’s sexual orientation and gender identity non-discrimination laws. In the end, this means that the state basically dictates whether and how citizens may express themselves.

Freedom to assemble and speak freely about man-woman marriage, family, and sexuality is now restricted. Most faith communities have become “politically correct” to avoid fines and loss of charitable status. Canadian media are restricted by the Canadian Radio, Television, and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), which is similar to the FCC. If the media air anything considered discriminatory, broadcasting licenses can be revoked, and “human rights bodies” can charge fines and restrict future airings.

An example of legally curtailed speech regarding homosexuality in Canada involves the case of Bill Whatcott, who was arrested for hate speech in April 2014 after distributing pamphlets that were critical of homosexuality. Whether or not you agree with what he says, you should be aghast at this state-sanctioned gagging. Books, DVDs, and other materials can also be confiscated at the Canadian border if the materials are deemed “hateful.”

Americans need to prepare for the same sort of surveillance-society in America if the Supreme Court rules to ban marriage as a male-female institution. It means that no matter what you believe, the government will be free to regulate your speech, your writing, your associations, and whether or not you may express your conscience.
    Americans also need to understand that the endgame for some in the LGBT rights movement involves centralized state power—and the end of First Amendment freedoms.

Dawn Stefanowicz is an internationally recognized speaker and author. She is a member of the Testimonial Committee of the International Children’s Rights Institute. Her book, Out From Under: The Impact of Homosexual Parenting, is available at http://www.dawnstefanowicz.org. Dawn, a full-time licensed accountant, is married and has two teenaged children.
    http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/04/14899/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When same-sex marriage was legalized in Canada in 2005, parenting was immediately redefined. Canada’s gay marriage law, Bill C-38, included a provision to erase the term “natural parent” and replace it across the board with gender-neutral “legal parent” in federal law. Now all children only have “legal parents,” as defined by the state. By legally erasing biological parenthood in this way, the state ignores children’s foremost right: their immutable, intrinsic yearning to know and be raised by their own biological parents.
    Yup true to this. Shame really to those that cheered for something that they dont know the legal process nor the consequences of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Yup true to this. Shame really to those that cheered for something that they dont know the legal process nor the consequences of it.
    Well, something had to be done about the fact that every human has both a father and mother. That's homophobic, don't ya' know?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

It seems like long oppressed groups of any kind tend to go on a power trip once they gain any kind of recognition or get a hold of the reigns of Government and they keep piling on more and more demands. Some members of such groups are simply power hungry and some underneath are still holding on to resentment and take this as an opportunity to lash out.

The Women's rights movement lead to the ongoing Feminism movement with mixed results. The Civil Rights movement also comes with opportunistic parasites like Al Sharpton or Affirmative Action. It should be no surprise that some element of the LGBT community will do the same.

I'm not sure this is all a reason to dig in and refuse to let Homosexuals marry, try to keep things as they are, or even turn back the clock and shame or stigmatize them back into the 'closet' by blacklisting them from participation in mainstream society.

Americans need to prepare for the same sort of surveillance-society in America if the Supreme Court rules to ban marriage as a male-female institution. It means that no matter what you believe, the government will be free to regulate your speech, your writing, your associations, and whether or not you may express your conscience.
    Americans also need to understand that the endgame for some in the LGBT rights movement involves centralized state power—and the end of First Amendment freedoms.
    This whole mess is going to bring a $#@!storm before it's over. I don't see people waking up and taking marriage out of government control, but there are rumblings, I hope I'm wrong.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This whole mess is going to bring a $#@!storm before it's over. I don't see people waking up and taking marriage out of government control, but there are rumblings, I hope I'm wrong.
    Everything should be taken out of government control. The Congress is corrupt, the White House is corrupt, the Judges are corrupt. When the top is deviant, the middle and bottom falls in line with them. That's what we are seeing right now. A total degradation of society from the top, down.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    There are at least two sides to every argument. There are also the kids who meet their bio parents and come back saying, "I'm so grateful I didn't have to grow up with either of them." ... I've got a nephew who met his bio parents and came back with that response. In fact, it kind of brought an end to his teenage rebellion phase.
    But the difference is; if when somebody says those things about a hetero set of parents does the following happen?
    Yet, when we go public with our stories, we often face ostracism, silencing, and threats.
    I think that was a big point in the OP citation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The culture war starts now. Churches that don't want to allow homosexual couples married there will be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    It seems like long oppressed groups of any kind tend to go on a power trip once they gain any kind of recognition or get a hold of the reigns of Government and they keep piling on more and more demands. Some members of such groups are simply power hungry and some underneath are still holding on to resentment and take this as an opportunity to lash out.

The Women's rights movement lead to the ongoing Feminism movement with mixed results. The Civil Rights movement also comes with opportunistic parasites like Al Sharpton or Affirmative Action. It should be no surprise that some element of the LGBT community will do the same.

I'm not sure this is all a reason to dig in and refuse to let Homosexuals marry, try to keep things as they are, or even turn back the clock and shame or stigmatize them back into the 'closet' by blacklisting them from participation in mainstream society.
    Yep. See: Puritans. Religiously/politically oppressed in England. Tyrants in the New World.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Yes, the hate tribunals are coming.

Let me paint a picture of not so long ago: non-caucasian children adopted by caucasian parents ... yep, it did.
    Differences in gender are important, differences in race are not.
    Stop believing stupid things

LOL I can't believe this made it to the front page of RPF. I guess the moderators are trying to make a statement about what RPF stands for hahah

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    LOL I can't believe this made it to the front page of RPF. I guess the moderators are trying to make a statement about what RPF stands for hahah
    Not necessarily. But since it describes the loss of freedom brought on by decisions like this, it is important to liberty, and should be important to you too.

The leftists want monogamy dead, using sob stories and hyperbole about bad heterosexual relationships to make it happen. We are heading to Brave Ne World type society if things don't change.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Not necessarily. But since it describes the loss of freedom brought on by decisions like this, it is important to liberty, and should be important to you too.
    Sorry 2 gay people getting married or having a civil union or a contract or whatever you want to call it doesn't erode my freedom. Bringing up Canada the land of universal health care doesn't really present much of an argument to me either. Gay marriage was going to be acceptable across the United States sooner or later. The Supreme Court just accelerated it a bit.

Meanwhile, our REAL liberties are being taken away the by NSA and the police state armed with tanks. Innocent people die every day to our bombs while you all dwell Canada's gay marriage issues.

LOL I can't believe this made it to the front page of RPF.
    That's awesome, thanks for the heads up.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yes, the hate tribunals are coming.
    Aren't they already in some states?

Sorry 2 gay people getting married or having a civil union or a contract or whatever you want to call it doesn't erode my freedom. Bringing up Canada the land of universal health care doesn't really present much of an argument to me either. Gay marriage was going to be acceptable across the United States sooner or later. The Supreme Court just accelerated it a bit.

Meanwhile, our REAL liberties are being taken away the by NSA and the police state armed with tanks. Innocent people die every day to our bombs while you all dwell Canada's gay marriage issues.
    Dude, wake up.

In Canada, it is considered discriminatory to say that marriage is between a man and a woman or that every child should know and be raised by his or her biological married parents. It is not just politically incorrect in Canada to say so; you can be saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, fined, and forced to take sensitivity training.
    Anyone who is offended by something you have said or written can make a complaint to the Human Rights Commissions and Tribunals. In Canada, these organizations police speech, penalizing citizens for any expression deemed in opposition to particular sexual behaviors or protected groups identified under “sexual orientation.” It takes only one complaint against a person to be brought before the tribunal, costing the defendant tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. The commissions have the power to enter private residences and remove all items pertinent to their investigations, checking for hate speech.

The plaintiff making the complaint has his legal fees completely paid for by the government. Not so the defendant. Even if the defendant is found innocent, he cannot recover his legal costs. If he is found guilty, he must pay fines to the person(s) who brought forth the complaint.

If your beliefs, values, and political opinions are different from the state’s, you risk losing your professional license, job, or business, and even your children. Look no further than the Lev Tahor Sect, an Orthodox Jewish sect. Many members, who had been involved in a bitter custody battle with child protection services, began leaving Chatham, Ontario, for Guatemala in March 2014,*to escape prosecution for their religious faith, which conflicted with the Province’s guidelines for religious education. Of the two hundred sect members, only half a dozen families remain in Chatham.

Parents can expect state interference when it comes to moral values, parenting, and education—and not just in school. The state has access into your home to supervise you as the parent, to judge your suitability. And if the state doesn’t like what you are teaching your children, the state will attempt to remove them from your home.
    Teachers cannot make comments in their social networks, write letters to editors, publicly debate, or vote according to their own conscience on their own time. They can be disciplined or lose any chance of tenure. They can be required at a bureaucrat’s whim to take re-education classes or sensitivity training, or be fired for thinking politically incorrect thoughts.

When same-sex marriage was created in Canada, gender-neutral language became legally mandated. Newspeak proclaims that it is discriminatory to assume a human being is male or female, or heterosexual. So, to be inclusive, special non-gender-specific language is being used in media, government, workplaces, and especially schools to avoid appearing ignorant, homophobic, or discriminatory. A special curriculum is being used in many schools to teach students how to use proper gender-neutral language. Unbeknownst to many parents, use of gender terms to describe husband and wife, father and mother, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, and “he” and “she” is being steadily eradicated in Canadian schools.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-26-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Dude, wake up.
    Why don't you wake up? Canada censors free speech and you blame it on gay marriage.

Why don't you wake up? Canada censors free speech and you blame it on gay marriage.
    America doesn't? (And its not going to get worse now)? Dude, you are in fantasy land.

Here is the Department of Education logo for Facebook:

If you don't think a brand new fascism has arrived, you are just a useful idiot. Freedom of conscience no longer exists in America.

America doesn't? (And its not going to get worse now)? Dude, you are in fantasy land.

Here is the Department of Education logo for Facebook:

If you don't think a brand new fascism has arrived, you are just a useful idiot. Freedom of conscience no longer exists in America.
    Your problem is with the attack on the First Amendment. You are using Gay marriage as an excuse. If you want to defend the first amendment, then do so. But don't use gay marriage as the reason for it. You are the useful idiot. What is up with bible thumpers and apocalyptic talk. Every time, it's the end of the world, the sky is falling OMG OMG OMG! Almost every government in the world censors free speech and you pick Canada as an example because of Gay Marriage. Hey guess what asshat, FREE SPEECH isn't allowed in Saudi Arabia EITHER! And guess what? Gay Marriage is punishable by death there!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Front page new stories do not indicate agreement or disagreement. Sometimes they are just interesting articles.

That would make it interesting, wouldn't it?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Your problem is with the attack on the First Amendment. You are using Gay marriage as an excuse. If you want to defend the first amendment, then do so. But don't use gay marriage as the reason for it. You are the useful idiot. What is up with bible thumpers and apocalyptic talk. Every time, it's the end of the world, the sky is falling OMG OMG OMG! Almost every government in the world censors free speech and you pick Canada as an example because of Gay Marriage. Hey guess what asshat, FREE SPEECH isn't allowed in Saudi Arabia EITHER! And guess what? Gay Marriage is punishable by death there!
    Well, Saudi Arabia has its fascistic state religion there, and America has its growing fascistic secular religion here. You have no idea what is coming. You are going to look back years from now when you had the freedom to speak or act without losing your job, wealth, reputation, or speech. Facism is here, and you go along with it like it's okay. Yay freedumb.

Well, Saudi Arabia has its fascistic state religion there, and America has its growing fascistic secular religion here. You have no idea what is coming. You are going to look back years from now when you had the freedom to speak or act without losing your job, wealth, reputation, or speech. Facism is here, and you go along with it like it's okay. Yay freedumb.
    I completely agree with you. The only difference is I'm not blaming the reason for all that on GAY MARRIAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    Differences in gender are important, differences in race are not.
    Now that's some double-good politically correct speech comrade..

There are at least two sides to every argument. There are also the kids who meet their bio parents and come back saying, "I'm so grateful I didn't have to grow up with either of them." ... I've got a nephew who met his bio parents and came back with that response. In fact, it kind of brought an end to his teenage rebellion phase.
    That's not an argument against keeping record of the child's biological parents and making opportunities for them to meet sooner or later. That's an argument for it. Even if a child doesn't know what genetics are, a child instinctively knows there are things he or she can learn about themselves from observing blood relatives. And 'What If' is a game every human plays. Only the most brutal foster parents have something to lose by letting the child get the answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by RPfan1992 View Post
    The leftists want monogamy dead, using sob stories and hyperbole about bad heterosexual relationships to make it happen. We are heading to Brave Ne World type society if things don't change.
    This. Does anyone really think that anyone in the government driving this thinks it'll be good for children? Of course they don't. This is government engineering a problem, so later there will be a reaction, and they can propose the solution: Take the children away from parents at birth. Better indoctrination that way.

They really are thinking that way. They're just as cold blooded as the next bunch of lizards.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    "A liberal is a man who wants to use his own ideas on things in preference to generations who he knows know more than he does."--Will Rogers 1923
    And a politician is a buzzard that circles above the liberal, waiting to feast on the carcass of whomever the liberal, in his reckless, headlong rush, compassionately runs down and crushes.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-30-2015 at 07:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast