Thread: Rand Paul gets highest marks in Marijuana Policy Project’s presidential voter guide

Thumbs up Rand Paul gets highest marks in Marijuana Policy Project’s presidential voter guide

Rand Paul gets highest marks in Marijuana Policy Project’s presidential voter guide

By David Sherfinski
    Friday, June 26, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky received the highest grade among more than 20 declared and potential 2016 presidential candidates in a voter guide released Friday by a marijuana policy group, while New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania fared the worst.

Mr. Paul, received a grade of “A-” from the Marijuana Policy Project. The group said his grade was based largely on his sponsorship of a medical marijuana bill, support for reducing marijuana-related penalties and support for allowing states to regulate marijuana for adult use.

Mr. Christie and Mr. Santorum, meanwhile, two other GOP contenders, both received a grade of “F” “because they oppose reform efforts and they are the most vocal supporters of enforcing federal prohibition laws in states that have made marijuana legal,” the group said.

read more:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...a-policy-proj/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I read an article a few weeks ago saying Rand is supposed to be getting an official endorsement from MPP and they will be donating to his campaign but I'm not sure exactly when that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    I read an article a few weeks ago saying Rand is supposed to be getting an official endorsement from MPP and they will be donating to his campaign but I'm not sure exactly when that will happen.
    Ouch, now there's a double-edged sword. Maybe they can make the donation now and save the endorsement for the general?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Thats great.. now he has to sell to voters (particualar those tough on crime) why leagilizing weed is great for society

Did you all see where Rand said again yesterday that marijuana makes people lazy and makes them not want to work? He also repeated the long-debunked theory that it lowers IQ. Rand really needs to stop talking about things he hasn't studied, as the new evidence and medical studies debunk everything he's been saying. He is all for the reefer madness talk.

The Campaign for the Restoration and Regulation of Hemp interviewed him. They have 1 million followers.

“I think people who use marijuana all the time lose IQ points. I think they lose their drive to show up for work,” Sen. Rand Paul said.

Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    Did you all see where Rand said again yesterday that marijuana makes people lazy and makes them not want to work? He also repeated the long-debunked theory that it lowers IQ. Rand really needs to stop talking about things he hasn't studied, as the new evidence and medical studies debunk everything he's been saying. He is all for the reefer madness talk.
    ands still get the highest mark

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Campaign for the Restoration and Regulation of Hemp interviewed him. They have 1 million followers.

“I think people who use marijuana all the time lose IQ points. I think they lose their drive to show up for work,” Sen. Rand Paul said.
    Just to clarify, that quote was from 2 years ago, not yesterday.

Personally I'm skeptical that smoking marijuana, even with heavy daily usage, does damage to the brain. But smoking it every day is certainly bad for some people and makes them lazy. Other people it does not. It depends on the person really.
    Last edited by jct74; 06-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Awesome.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

I'm skeptical that smoking marijuana, even with heavy daily usage, does damage to the brain. But smoking it every day is certainly bad for some people and makes them lazy. Other people it does not. It depends on the person really.
    I'm not a personal fan of MJ (it bores me), but I think that marijuana addiction (which is emotional, and not physical, obviously) isn't so much a problem as much as an indication of a greater problem. It acts as a crutch. And it's not the crutch that is the issue, as much as why that crutch is needed in the first place.

Anyway, this list includes Bernie Sanders, so I couldn't be happier. I don't think this will hurt Rand in his attempt to get the nomination. It only proves he's a viable candidate in a general election. Of all the socon positions, marijuana decriminalization is the one issue they're willing to budge on most, I think.
    Last edited by LawnWake; 06-26-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
    ands still get the highest mark
    he he... You said "highest" mark.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I wonder why Bernie Sanders still has not signed on the Paul/Booker CARERS Act in the senate. It has 11 cosponsors so far.

Sen Baldwin, Tammy [WI] - 5/13/2015
    Sen Bennet, Michael F. [CO] - 5/13/2015
    Sen Boxer, Barbara [CA] - 3/17/2015
    Sen Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [NY] - 3/10/2015
    Sen Heinrich, Martin [NM] - 6/15/2015
    Sen Heller, Dean [NV] - 3/11/2015
    Sen Merkley, Jeff [OR] - 5/13/2015
    Sen Paul, Rand [KY] - 3/10/2015
    Sen Schatz, Brian [HI] - 6/1/2015
    Sen Udall, Tom [NM] - 6/1/2015
    Sen Wyden, Ron [OR] - 5/13/2015

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...4:SN00683:@@@P

What is his excuse? Isn't medical marijuana or at least preventing the federal government from interfering with state medical marijuana laws kind of a no-brainer?

Anyways, that's probably part of the reason he got only a "B" in the rankings.
    Last edited by jct74; 06-26-2015 at 10:56 AM.

That's my mistake .... CRRH just posted a story about it yesterday but used the story from two years ago. They make it sound like they just interviewed him last week. Very deceiving.

I am not sure about IQ, but the loss of drive to work is a valid concern. We do not want want people to sit idly and contemplate the purposelessness of their jobs. /sarc

Rand Paul Is Winning the Pot Reform Primary
    A large pro-legalization group ranks Paul above all Democratic candidates.

By Steven Nelson
    June 26, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul bested his rivals for the White House in a candidate report card issued Friday by the Marijuana Policy Project, one of the largest organizations pushing to regulate the drug like alcohol.

The group gave the Kentucky Republican an A- in recognition of his efforts to overhaul federal drug laws and his support of states’ right to legalize marijuana.

Second place – a B+ – went to former Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., who has not officially announced a bid, and Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, a former Republican seeking the Democratic nomination.

MPP leaders have discussed formally endorsing Paul, and the group's political action committee this year contributed $5,000 to his presidential campaign, $5,000 to his Senate re-election bid and another $5,000 to a Paul-supporting PAC.

None of the other presidential campaigns have received funding from the group, which helped spearhead the successful legalization campaigns in Alaska and Colorado.

read more:
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...reform-primary

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This can be a bit decieving imo. There's a long way from being an A- to even a B much less being a C or worse. Like Hillary being graded as a B, riiight...

I call bull$#@!! NO WAY is o'malley a C-, he's a flat out F! As Mayor of Baltimore, he instituted (after running on a "tough on crime" platform) zero-tolerance policing, even going so far as to hire the -ex police chief who had just gotten fired from NYC for carrying out similar policies. He spent his time as Mayor making sure that as many people as possible were arrested, aggressively prosecuted, and locked up for even the most trivial offenses. And they give a him C-? Seriously?

This is an excellent example of how o'malley's record will be whitewashed, and how this turd will be polished in the media. Just watch and wait as the media totally not only gives this guy a free pass, but pumps him up like happened with santorum. Always remember, this should be the first thing coming to mind when you hear this name: "...and what's behind door number three? It's officer o'malley, you're busted! Thank you for playing Let's Make A Dope Deal!"
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

It's true for me... I dunno about a wide population of pot smokers, but when I would partake (not saying I do currently) I would definitely loose a big portion of my drive and I would catch myself not being able to focus on my task at hand or remember to get the things I need to get. I don't think he is lying, I think there is a good portion of truth to what he is saying.

I do not understand why people who support the federal government defending individuals rights to privacy, or right to free speech, guns, etc, from the states do not support the federal government protecting an individuals right to use marijuana from the states. I do not find it much of a cliche topic that needs to be talked about by the people and decided for someone on any level. Regardless, he deserves the top marks amongst his competitors. Does anyone see his rhetoric changing on the subject if we're able to get him through the primary?

It's true for me... I dunno about a wide population of pot smokers, but when I would partake (not saying I do currently) I would definitely loose a big portion of my drive and I would catch myself not being able to focus on my task at hand or remember to get the things I need to get. I don't think he is lying, I think there is a good portion of truth to what he is saying.
    I have known a few people, friends, who became daily pot smokers. In these cases, there was, to me, signs of the brain being affected. I know it is not cool to say this, and I am not anti-pot, I have smoked in the past but not for many many years, but there is an effect. Another thing is that smoke is smoke and the effects of inhaling smoke, no matter what kind, are the same, such as bad gums (two friends with this issue). I have told them both that it's the smoke, but the smoke is more important than the gums and eventual tooth loss. I'm glad I no longer feel any desire for this type of "high"....I became a spiritual seeker and that is a high in and of itself.

In the past, (60's), people would vouch for MJ saying it wasn't as carcinogenic as tobacco. I thought that hot particulate matter breathed into the lungs is bad for you, whether it's tobacco, weed, or BBQ smoke. But I've also read that, back in the day, it might have been true. Then, before it was bred out of pot in order to get a higher high, the CBD found to some extent in MJ mitigated against cancer. That's what I've read in pro-cannabis literature, anyway.
    Last edited by Tinnuhana; 07-03-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: redundancy