Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS saves Obamacare in 6-25-15 opinion

SCOTUS saves Obamacare in 6-25-15 opinion

Waiting for link to opinion. Just announced like 2 minutes ago.

Decision of the Fourth Circuit is affirmed in King v. Burwell. 6-3.

Subsidies upheld.

[update]
    Here is the opinion, written by Chief Justice Roberts.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...4-114_qol1.pdf
    Last edited by wizardwatson; 06-25-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Judas Roberts saves Obamacare again

www.scotusblog.com

joined I assume by Kenedy

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Roberts. I hope he is hit by lightning.

BTW Keep voting.

Scalia. Alito. Thomas. Dissent.

he should be used against Jeb as another Bush screw up

Roberts needs to be punished.

2012 - It's not SCOTUS's job to fix Congress's $#@!ty laws

2015 - This is a $#@!tily written law, so we deem it means the opposite of what it says.

The Supreme Court should just close shop. It's completely useless and contradictory.
    Last edited by AuH20; 06-25-2015 at 08:18 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    could Amash and Massie introduce articles of impeachment? wouldn't pass, but stress ......

someone gets a chance to redeem themselves, and correct their mistake, and they make the same mistake? senile or blackmailed or bribed?
    Last edited by cindy25; 06-25-2015 at 08:19 AM.

They just turned up the heat on the frog. Maybe not a bad thing after all.

The majority also acknowledges that the challengers' "arguments about the plain meaning . . . are strong."

This country is more $#@!ed up than I thought. Read this drivel from the highest court in the land. They are making up stuff as they go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After acknowledging the strength of the plain language arguments from the challengers, the majority says "In this instance, the context and structure of the Act compel us to depart from what would otherwise be the most natural reading of the pertinent statutory phrase."

I have refused to pay it.

How can something that wasn't read by representatives apply to me? It doesn't, I do not consent.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    This country is more $#@!ed up than I thought. Read this drivel from the highest court in the land. They are making up stuff as they go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After acknowledging the strength of the plain language arguments from the challengers, the majority says "In this instance, the context and structure of the Act compel us to depart from what would otherwise be the most natural reading of the pertinent statutory phrase."
    Public non compliance is the only non violent option left.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Here is the opinion, written by Chief Justice Roberts. Long and boring. Updated OP. Will likely post some news article of the "reasoning" which paraphrases all this. Was actually waiting for gay marriage. I'm much more interested in seeing how SCOTUS intellectually defends making this a civil rights rather than states rights issue.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...4-114_qol1.pdf
    Last edited by wizardwatson; 06-25-2015 at 08:28 AM.

I remember back in 2004 when Republican voters were told that they HAD to get out and vote for Bush just for the SC appointments. This was to protect us from a possible socialized medicine scheme.....
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We are living in a post Constitutional age. Thus the social contract is broken. Any rules of civility fly out the window.

Noah Rothman ‏@NoahCRothman 2m2 minutes ago

To preserve the ACA, the Court has ignored the text of the law and the solicitor general’s arguments in support of that text.

Sensing a lot of anger here...

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    I have refused to pay it.

How can something that wasn't read by representatives apply to me? It doesn't, I do not consent.

Yeah well...although I am opposed to Obamacare...we opted out and our insurance rate skyrocketed. So did my son's so he had to let his lapse because he couldn't afford it due to illness. Now he needs help for complications from the brain injury he got in 2011 and has no coverage. But we are good just screwed libertarians.

Even our insurance agent said all the insurance companies now hate Obamacare. Ie...they aren't making the money they thought they would.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 06-25-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    There are no check or balances within our oligarchy.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Somebody should give Dylan Roof a 1 day reprieve...

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    We are living in a post Constitutional age. Thus the social contract is broken. Any rules of civility fly out the window.
    With CSA flag going down, TPP going through, Patriot Act II going through, Obamacare being upheld, gay marriage being upheld, all in the same month... it feels like the game Mortal Kombat when your character is wobbling and the screen says "FINISH HIM!"

How fitting Obama is attending a funeral tomorrow. More than just people died this month.

The real Constitutional issue is Congressional power to enact such a law to begin with. That issue was dismissed out of hand. Congress can do whatever it wants. The rest of the Obamacare challenges have been tweaking around the edges and a waste of time.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And we lost the disparate impact case, too. This is a dark day.

Watching the left cheer on corporate cronyism is pretty ironic though.

Justice Antonin Scalia...

Perhaps the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will attain the enduring status of the Social Security Act or the Taft-Hartley Act; perhaps not. But this Court’s two decisions on the Act will surely be remembered through the years. The somersaults of statutory interpretation they have performed ("penalty” means tax, "further [Medicaid] payments to the State” means only incremental Medicaid payments to the State, "established by the State”means not established by the State) will be cited by litigants endlessly, to the confusion of honest jurisprudence.And the cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takesto uphold and assist its favorites.
    I dissent. - SCALIA, J., dissenting

About what I figured .

This is called bipartisanship. I guess the liberal judges will return the favor by ensuring whatever unconstitutional shenanigans that accompany the new trade deals would be deemed constitutional. This is why I am not really passionate about politics anymore, its one step forward and 3 steps backwards, addition by subtraction.

Why do SC judges only move leftward and never to the right? Like throughout modern history? I sense a conspiracy of some type.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast