Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids blackmarket salt-n-sugar at school

Kids blackmarket salt-n-sugar at school

From Drudge;

Kids Create Salt Black Markets in Cafeterias Due to Michelle Obama’s Lunch Rules

http://freebeacon.com/issues/kids-cr...s-lunch-rules/

Children are creating their own black markets to trade and sell salt due to First Lady Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules.

During a hearing before the House Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education, chaired by Rep. Todd Rokita (R., Ind.), a school administrator told Congress of the “unintended consequences” of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.

“Perhaps the most colorful example in my district is that students have been caught bringing–and even selling–salt, pepper, and sugar in school to add taste to perceived bland and tasteless cafeteria food,” said John S. Payne, the president of Blackford County School Board of Trustees in Hartford City, Indiana.

“This ‘contraband’ economy is just one example of many that reinforce the call for flexibility [with the rules],” he said.

Payne noted other problems with the “one-size-fits-all” approach to providing healthier meals to students, including fewer kids participating in the program and higher food waste. The trend started in 2012, when the school lunch law, which was championed by Mrs. Obama, went into effect.

“Students are avoiding cafeteria food,” Payne said. “More students bring their lunch, and a few parents even ‘check out’ their child from campus, taking them to a local fast-food restaurant or home for lunch.”

Payne also said school fundraisers like bake sales, have been canceled due to the rules, and “whole-grain items and most of the broccoli end up in the trash” in his district.

Dr. Lynn Harvey agreed that the whole-grain requirement is not working, as kids refuse to eat dense and dry biscuits, and “unpalatable” grits.

“When it comes to whole grain-rich variations of biscuits, grits, crackers and cornbread, all too often, students simply toss them into the trash cans,” said Harvey, who serves as chief of school nutrition services at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, which oversees lunch programs for schools that enroll 1.5 million students.

“This product dissatisfaction has contributed to a decline in breakfast participation in 60 percent of North Carolina’s school districts,” she said.

“Biscuits and corn muffins are part of the state’s cultural and regional food heritage, just as bagels are traditional in the Northeast and tortillas in the Southwest,” Harvey added. “These foods are very popular breakfast items; the addition of whole grain flour has created products that are dense, compact, dry, and crumbly instead of light, moist, tender, and flaky.”

Harvey said since the new rules went into effect participation in the school lunch program in her state has declined by 5 percent, “a loss of nearly 13 million meals in two years.”

School districts across the country have echoed Payne and Harvey’s complaints. Students have noted the unappetizing fare on Twitter, with the viral hash tag #ThanksMichelleObama, which led the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to launch their own social media campaign, soliciting pictures of more appetizing food.

More than 1 million students fled the lunch line during the first year the standards went into effect.

House Republicans have introduced legislation to give schools more flexibility in meeting the rules. A bill sponsored by Rep. Kristi Noem (R., S.D.) would “ease sodium restrictions, give school administrators flexibility on some of the rules that have increased costs, including the school breakfast program, a la carte options, and school lunch price increases, and make USDA’s easing of the meat and grain requirements permanent,” according to the Hill.

“The clear solution to these problems is local leadership and flexibility,” Payne said. “When local school districts have the authority and flexibility to make adjustments honoring the spirit and intent of the law they can provide students with healthy, nutritious, and appetizing meals.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

“Perhaps the most colorful example in my district is that students have been caught bringing–and even selling–salt, pepper, and sugar in school to add taste to perceived bland and tasteless cafeteria food,” said John S. Payne, the president of Blackford County School Board of Trustees in Hartford City, Indiana.
    Caught?

I'm still trying to figure out why the presidents wife should have anything to say about all of this.

Schools need to start strip search at the cafeteria.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

“a loss of nearly 13 million meals in two years.”
    its not really a loss if those 13 million meals go from being in the school industrial complex to the the local food economy.

I know my fellow man who owns the chickfila down the road sure doesn't mind.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Caught?
    It's illegal to bring contraband into a prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Good kids.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And we are talking about real sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup or the other artificial fake sugary stuff. Good for them, learning the art of hustling and healthy eating.

Sometimes I ponder how and what would needed to be done for people to accept reality of 1984 or some other dystopian world...

How would people be prepared to eat tasteless food that is rationed and in short supply?
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

the addition of whole grain flour has created products that are dense, compact, dry, and crumbly instead of light, moist, tender, and flaky
    That would seem to be general incompetence in baking. I'd suspect they were using bromated white flour from white wheat berries; and now they're using whole wheat flour from red wheat berries. The difference they suggest is more likely to occur because of the type of berry than the degree to which its refined.

How is White Whole Wheat different from Whole Wheat Flour? Traditional Whole Wheat Flour is milled from a red wheat berry. White Whole Wheat Flour is milled from a white wheat berry. Just a different variation of wheat berry. Different wheats! The white wheat berry is sweeter in flavor and milder that the red wheat berry. Cool, right?
    I’ve found that White Whole Wheat Flour is a really great way to incorporate whole wheat nutrition into many baked goods that may normally call for All-Purpose Flour.
    http://joythebaker.com/2014/05/bakin...baking-flours/

Whole Wheat Biscuits

• 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur’s white whole wheat organic flour)
    • 4 teaspoons baking powder
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • ¼ cup cold unsalted butter
    • 1 cup milk (any kind)
    There are so many reasons why I love these biscuits. First of all, they are super easy to make and no special equipment (like a rolling pin or biscuit cutter) is needed. It takes no more than 15 or 20 minutes to make them from mixing the dough to pulling them out of the oven. Then once they are done they are moist and flaky and so tasty (c’mon, look at the picture – you know you want one!). And the best part is that they freeze and reheat beautifully (I just throw the frozen biscuits in the toaster oven on the bake setting).

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

AWESOME!

-t

I do admire these kids entrepreneurial skills though though. I used to run a Sam's-Club-to-homeroom tear jerker, atomic fireball, and blue blowpop operation.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

“This product dissatisfaction has contributed to a decline in breakfast participation in 60 percent of North Carolina’s school districts,” she said.
    And with those words, I became a supporter of the federal government's school food program.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    And with those words, I became a supporter of the federal government's school food program.
    That just means they will throw more taxpayer money at it. Kids eat to much, throw money at . Kids not eating enough, throw money at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is hilarious.

Even before Michelle Obama, a lot of districts had crappy school food. It's basically prison food. Dead and live Insects? Check. Thorny vine in my vegetables? Check. Cardboard pieces and plastic wrapping inside the food? Check. Check. Check.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Even before Michelle Obama, a lot of districts had crappy school food. It's basically prison food. Dead and live Insects? Check. Thorny vine in my vegetables? Check. Cardboard pieces and plastic wrapping inside the food? Check. Check. Check.
    Prisoners would riot if fed such crap.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Prisoners would riot if fed such crap.
    the difference is you can bring your own lunch, so you only have to blame the parents if they don't want to feed their kids
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why the presidents wife should have anything to say about all of this.
    She wants your kid's fat asses to fit in a humvee--national security threat and all that.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    She wants your kid's fat asses to fit in a humvee--national security threat and all that.
    Feed your children well.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

This thread is a hoot!

Psssst kid - wanna buy some condiments? <wink>

-t

Here is Mr Payne's entire testimony.

http://edworkforce.house.gov/uploade..._testimony.pdf

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would any self-respecting high school kid even be in the cafeteria for lunch at all, when they could be safely off of school grounds somewhere, smoking hash with their friends and cranking up Black Sabbath and the Butthole Surfers? I suppose that the high school experience has changed a lot since the mid-1980's.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 06-01-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Someone should start a website called the Chocolate Milk Road for anonymously trading illegal food in schools.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Cutting up lines of pixie dust on a mirror in the bathroom stall.

Taking 8-balls of sour patch kids to the dome before gym class.

Little Billy goes into withdrawal in math class, sees Willy Wonka climbing the walls with a knife in his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Why would any self-respecting high school kid even be in the cafeteria for lunch at all, when they could be safely off of school grounds somewhere, smoking hash with their friends and cranking up Black Sabbath and the Butthole Surfers? I suppose that the high school experience has changed a lot since the mid-1980's.

Good times!

-t

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast