Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: Confederate flag is “inescapably a symbol of human bondage and slavery”

Thumbs down Rand Paul: Confederate flag is “inescapably a symbol of human bondage and slavery”

***** He's getting tons of negative reactions for this on FB. Talk about milquetoast.

Rand Paul: Confederate flag is “inescapably a symbol of human bondage and slavery”

Bonnie Kristian, Rare Contributor
    Posted on June 23, 2015 8:36 am

During a radio interview this morning, Senator Rand Paul offered his take on the Confederate battle flag, which many have said should be taken down from South Carolina government properties in the wake of the racist murders of nine black churchgoers in Charleston.
    Here’s what Paul said:

No, I agree, I think the flag is inescapably a symbol of human bondage and slavery, and particularly when people use it obviously for murder and to justify hated so vicious that you would kill somebody I think that that symbolism needs to end, and I think South Carolina is doing the right thing.
    Obviously it’s a decision for South Carolina to make, but if I were in South Carolina, that’s what I would vote to do, and that’s what I would recommend to anybody who asked for my opinion. There have been people who have used it for southern pride and heritage and all of that but really to I think to every African American in the country it’s a symbolism of slavery to them and now it’s a symbol of murder for this young man and so I think it’s time to put it in a museum.

Other Republican candidates, particularly Lindsey Graham and Mike Huckabee, have taken much more dubious positions. View a list of their statements—which has not yet been updated to include Paul’s remarks—here.

FB Post:

https://www.facebook.com/Rand2016?fref=ts

http://rare.us/story/rand-paul-confe...e-and-slavery/
    Last edited by RonPaul4Prez2012; 06-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    when in Rome do as the Romans do, then after you have them in your palm, crush them.

I think there should be a new flag that solely symbolizes states rights and peace amongst races with an effort to make it go viral. Then those bitching about the Confederate flag would not be able to use race as an issue in the dialog over states rights.
    Last edited by kahless; 06-23-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

What I don't understand is why out of this whole "pissed off citizenry" in Charleston that not one person just drove up to the capital building and took the darn thing down. Is it behind some type of barricade? You're telling me the janitor or yard person couldn't have stole it?

To me this is more about getting the publics attention OFF of some of the crappy things happening like the TPP, Patriot act etc etc etc. Getting people to focus on stupid stuff keeps them occupied while the feds fleece us all.

The flag is only a symbol of slavery to the ignorant, who are unaware of the true causes and meaning of the war.

That said, I would be extremely annoyed with Rand if he publicly agreed with me.

...no faster way to sink a campaign (since most voters are ignorant about the war and do wrongly see it as a symbol of slavery).

So, I'm fine with this.

Completely agree. The confederate flag was born out of a confederacy that advocated slavery. It is a racist flag and it has no business ever flying on a government building.
    Hats off to Mitt Romney and Rand Paul on speaking out on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I think there be a new flag that solely symbolizes states rights and peace amongst races with an effort to make it go viral. Then those bitching about the Confederate flag would not be able to use race as an issue in the dialog over states rights.
    maybe this one?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The flag is only a symbol of slavery to the ignorant, who are unaware of the true causes and meaning of the war.

That said, I would be extremely annoyed with Rand if he publicly agreed with me.

...no faster way to sink a campaign (since most voters are ignorant about the war and do wrongly see it as a symbol of slavery).

So, I'm fine with this.
    I would have preferred no comment on it and let it go.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's pretty much a universal flag thing.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Rand told Rush he was going to run a namby pamby campaign. So this falls within those parameters.

interestingly enough, Georgia and Mississippi arent being drug through this: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/22/8826957...ia-mississippi

Which brings about the truth...its not about the flag at all, its about dumb morons wanting to point fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    maybe this one?
    Obviously one that cannot in any way resemble the Confederate flag or have any historical significance. People have to stop using the past and make a case for states rights in the now. It is the only way to beat the house at their own game.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Wise men choose their battles. Together with his past comments about the Civil Rights Act, if he would have taken the opposite stance on this flag, just imagine the soundbytes that would be spouted all over the airways.

He did the wise thing.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Wise men choose their battles. Together with his past comments about the Civil Rights Act, if he would have taken the opposite stance on this flag, just imagine the soundbytes that would be spouted all over the airways.

He did the wise thing.
    Neoconfederate!

He did the wise thing.
    Exactly. Principles won't get you elected. Pragmatic will.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He did the wise thing.
    Well not if you read the comments on Facebook. I think he should of stayed out of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    I would have preferred no comment on it and let it go.
    Yea, but with all the press this issue is getting, somebody would have eventually asked him about it.

Better to just hold your nose, make your offering at the PC altar, and be done with it.

The confederate flag as a symbol is a terrible communication device. It sends a confusing message. Who wants to go around explaining to black people the real reason they have a confederate flag on their wallet? I never understood that.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul4Prez2012 View Post
    Well not if you read the comments on Facebook. I think he should of stayed out of this one.
    Whatever real-life controversy exists in peoples' minds about Rand will be exaggerated by those who wish to create controversy. Facebook is one of the easier places to stir controversy without accountability.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Our good friend in liberty from the state of South Carolina agrees.

Tom Davis
    Yesterday at 11:10am

The Charleston murders have brought a festering issue back to the surface, and it simply can’t be ignored. Regardless of who’s right from a historical standpoint, it is indisputable that the Confederate battle flag now flying on the State House grounds has been misappropriated by hate groups as a symbol of their hatred, and while I respect the views of those who proudly view this flag as a symbol of their heritage, we must find another way to honor that heritage. This isn’t about re-opening an old wound; it’s about mending one that never properly healed.
    https://www.facebook.com/TomDavisSC/...03089433122724

I see we still have Confederate sympathizers on RPF. The Confederacy was about slavery. Get over it.

weak.

is there any Republican candidate with balls who didn't trash the confederate flag?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Yea, but with all the press this issue is getting, somebody would have eventually asked him about it.

Better to just hold your nose, make your offering at the PC altar, and be done with it.
    Yea, Rand was already taking some heat on twitter over saying nothing, not that it was really a big deal I don't think. Whether Rand commented or not, it will all be forgotten by next week. By next weeks news cycle the media will be fixated on something else.
    Last edited by libertyplz; 06-23-2015 at 11:06 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He did the wise thing.
    I agree and do not think he had much of a choice. Regardless they will probably try to sink him at some point in the race over CRA anyway. At least they will have less ammunition now.

Edit: Double post, ignore this

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    weak.

is there any Republican candidate with balls who didn't trash the confederate flag?
    You have to be seriously biased to interpret this that way.

Tom Davis and Rand Paul aren't going PC - they are stating the true, correct position on the matter. Don't defend symbols that cause confusion. Seek clarity and unity.

A symbol doesn't mean only what YOU say it means. Anyone with a sense of decency will choose not to display something that is commonly taken to be a symbol of slavery, even if they don't mean it that way. What matters when you communicate aren't the words you say, but how they are understood. So if you are trying to make a statement by displaying the confederate flag, please use your brain first for two seconds.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Our good friend in liberty from the state of South Carolina agrees.
    Not my friend anymore.

The Charleston murders have brought a festering issue back to the surface, and it simply can’t be ignored. Regardless of who’s right from a historical standpoint, it is indisputable that the Confederate battle flag now flying on the State House grounds has been misappropriated by hate groups as a symbol of their hatred, and while I respect the views of those who proudly view this flag as a symbol of their heritage, we must find another way to honor that heritage. This isn’t about re-opening an old wound; it’s about mending one that never properly healed. -- Tom Davis
    That's excellent.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast