Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ‘Southern Avenger’ Repents: I Was Wrong About the Confederate Flag

The ‘Southern Avenger’ Repents: I Was Wrong About the Confederate Flag

States’ rights? Heritage? I was wrong: The Confederate flag has always been about race.

As a Charleston, South Carolina-based conservative radio personality known as the “Southern Avenger,” I spent a decade defending the Confederate flag that is yet again the center of so much controversy.

I said the flag was about states’ rights. I said it stood for self-determination. I said it honored heritage.

I argued the Confederate flag wasn’t about race. I believed it. Millions of well-meaning Southerners believe it too.

I was wrong. That flag is always about race. Whatever political or historical points the flag’s defenders make, there will never be a time—and never has been a time—in which millions of Americans have looked at that symbol and not seen hatred.

We can argue for the rest of time whether this is fair or not. And for the rest of time, that symbol will still be seen in an overwhelmingly negative light.

Those who see hatred have political and historical reasons too.

This has always been the Confederate flag debate game. One camp’s arguments are supposed to trump the other’s.

I’m not here to settle those arguments. I tired of them years ago.

But I am here to say there is something at stake far more important than this symbol.

Heritage might not be hate. But battling hate is far more important than anyone’s heritage, politics, or just about anything else. We should have different priorities.

I now have different priorities.

Dylann Roof is a reminder of what’s at stake.

The week before a white supremacist murdered nine black men and women in my hometown of Charleston, I was angry at my fellow conservatives.

A 14-year-old black girl attending a pool party in McKinney, Texas, had been manhandled and thrown to the ground by a police officer. The girl had done nothing except talk. She was just standing there with other teenagers.

It was revolting to watch. I asked others to imagine it was their daughter.

The overwhelming response was that she was a “thug” who was “no saint” and needed to be taught “respect.” The comments were as revolting as the act—an adult mob praising the assault of a 100-pound, half-naked and scared black kid. I pleaded again for people to stop defending this. It got uglier.

It bothered me greatly, probably because at one time I might have done the same thing.

In my role as a conservative radio personality, I would’ve likely joined in in calling a group of excited black teenagers, or protesters, “thugs.” I might have called illegal immigrants criminals or worse. Muslims would’ve been slandered as terrorists.

Ugliness was a stock-in-trade.

I thought a big part of being conservative meant picking a “side” and attacking the other. I thought not caring what others thought or felt was part of it. Some of my Confederate flag debates certainly reflected that mentality.

This is something ideologues do and is by no means exclusive to the right, as evidenced by the way some liberals cartoonishly portray conservatives, Christians, and, yes, Southerners.

Ideologues ridicule and dehumanize people at the expense of their personhood. Ideologues believe some groups must be attacked, and although the groups are comprised of flesh-and-blood human beings, it’s better not to think of them as people too much—it could get you off message.

It’s crude collectivist thinking. It’s an intentional lack of sympathy. It’s dehumanization. It’s at the heart of everything that’s wrong with our politics and culture.

In its most extreme form, it’s what’s wrong with Dylann Roof.

Between the reports of his racist words and manifesto, we know Roof had a mission: to murder black people. Entering the Emmanuel A.M.E. Church Wednesday and sitting with the group for an hour, Roof confessed that he “almost didn’t go through with it because everyone was so nice to him.”

But instead he chose to “go through with his mission.” He had to shrug off their kindness. These weren’t people. They were just “blacks.” They were on the wrong side.

Roof’s hateful tunnel vision led him to commit pure evil.

What is the polar opposite of such hatred? The forgiveness demonstrated by Roof’s victim’s families. Said the daughter of Ethel Lance, “I will never be able to hold her again, but I forgive you.”

“And have mercy on your soul. You hurt me. You hurt a lot of people but God forgives you, and I forgive you.”

This is humanity. It is a rejection of collectivist thinking. It is the epitome of sympathy. It’s grace. It’s love.

My attraction to libertarianism a number of years ago began a journey of rejecting groupthink and placing primacy on the individual. Once you start down the path of putting individual human beings above whatever group they belong to, it puts politics—and everything else—in a new light.

Putting people before an agenda or broad prejudices puts us all in a much better place. It can, and should, make us repentant of our past behavior. It did for me.

A 14-year-old girl at a pool party isn’t a “thug” who deserves abuse. She’s a child. Decent people should view her as such.

We can be more decent.

As a native of Charleston, I was touched, but not surprised by some of the victims’ families’ responses to Roof. My hometown is filled with loving men and women of all races. You’ve seen them in the streets and at the vigils in the last week throughout the South Carolina Lowcountry, holding hands and sharing this grief.

They are also the kind of Southerners who would be attacked in another context for their religious or traditional beliefs. They are the kind of people who are being attacked right now by pundits living thousands of miles away from this heartbroken city, who know nothing about Charleston and choose to impose their own politics on this tragedy. Peggy Noonan is right, “Why don’t you leave the grieving alone right now? Why don’t you not impose your agenda items on them? Why don’t you not force them to debate while they have tears in their throats?”

Some of the people you’ve seen join hands with their Charleston brethren in recent days likely have supported the Confederate flag. Support for this symbol is hard for most outside the South to even understand.

I would ask readers to at least try to understand these folks. Many are not coming from a place of hate.

Others are. Too many have for a very long time. One hateful man did so again last week in a way our nation will not soon forget.

This is why it’s finally time to take down the Confederate flag.

As a Southerner, I long stuck up for my “side.” The South was right. The North was wrong. The Confederate flag was right and those who attacked it were wrong.

Those who defend the Confederate flag always have to add the caveat that others have “appropriated” it for racist causes. This is true.

Dylann Roof appropriated it precisely for this reason. He didn’t choose a random symbol and make it his own. He chose the Confederate flag precisely because of the negative light in which most view it.

I’m writing this column in a restaurant I frequent and am conscious every time a particular black server I’ve come to know walks by. I don’t want him to see the words “Confederate flag” and think I’m writing about it positively.

As a Southerner, I long stuck up for my “side.” The South was right. The North was wrong.

I have no intention of stopping him to educate him about the “true” meaning of the Confederate flag, as I might have years ago. I’m certain as a black American he already has a pretty concrete idea of how he feels about that symbol.

Black Americans have too many reasons to despise the Confederate flag. From slavery, to Jim Crow, to last week—it is so bloodstained today that it can only be thought of primarily as a symbol of terror.

Confederate flag supporters have argued for years that everyone should understand them. But black Southerners have tolerated something most of them consider intolerable for a century-and-a-half.

That’s time enough for understanding.

Understand this: Imagine your great-grandfather was a slave. Imagine your great-grandfather was lynched. Imagine your grandfather was forced to drink from a separate fountain. Imagine your father or mother was murdered by a deranged man with the Confederate flag all over his website.

Imagine these kinds of horrors were your American heritage. Imagine every time you saw a Confederate flag it reminded you of this.

Now imagine being told you don’t understand what the flag “really” means.

It’s an insult.

I care about moving beyond groupthink where right and left stop dehumanizing people more than I care about a flag. I care about white and black Southerners and Americans coming together, as we’ve seen on the streets of Charleston, more than I care about a flag. I’d like to see more coming together.

We will have a future that can be so much better than what a lot of Southern and American heritage represents, but only if we stop thinking of each other as separate camps constantly at war. We can only improve to the degree that we begin viewing one another not as enemies to be attacked but brothers to be loved.

Dylann Roof reminds us how hate destroys. The families of those he murdered remind us of the love we’re capable of.

The Confederate flag will always be a roadblock to the betterment of our natures. Let’s take it down so that we might all rise up.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rate-flag.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But the question is whether or not you can force someone else to take the flag down if they choose to fly it, wear it, tattoo it personally..

I believe people have the right to express what they want, and offended people should say what they want but forcibly taking down someone's symbolic expressions would be a severe violation of first amendment rights.

Jack wants back into politics. To do that you have to go with the direction the political wind is blowing.

Why can't anyone ever understand individual responsibility.

This is definitely about a $#@!ed up individual..

God forgives Dylann? Really?

No repent no forgive. And repentance doesn't necessarily save you from the judgment.

But the families lack of biblical knowledge doesn't surprise me. Currently an hour into the Sunday service youtube and haven't heard a word about OBEYING anything or REPENTING for anything. Just victimhood and only scripture he read was "God is on our side" Psalm 46 and a bunch of "Lordy, Lordy" crap.

AME is another false Christian church. And if God allowing the shooter in there wasn't sign enough, now the gay marriage pushing, drone gangster atheist, Obama is going to eulogize the abortion-supporting-Hillary-supporting dead pastor.

As to Southern Avenger's newfound repentance for being a racist whitey, he can pander all he wants. I prefer milquetoast believers in truth and liberty out themselves as political yoyo's. I hope all the rest fall like dominos too.

Let everyone show their true colors.

Dylann wanted to start a race war and America obeyed like the spineless self-glorifying hand-holding pansies filled with hate and vanity that they are.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

A 14-year-old girl at a pool party isn’t a “thug” who deserves abuse. She’s a child. Decent people should view her as such.
    Well said. Decency the key word here.

Now what is SA's view on US flag?
    If family members/supporters of children killed by dgp's drone attacks also wanted removal of US flag, will US flags be disappeared from tax payers funded poles?

Sunday, November 11, 2012

No Drones Wisconsin

No Drones: Lars explains the upside down American flag

http://nodroneswisconsin.blogspot.co...side-down.html

Bill ‏@DefendWallSt
    #BlackLivesMatter protesters and their children setting American flags on fire in #McKinney Texas

Retweets 114
    5:13 PM - 8 Jun 2015

Banned

Blog Entries
    I always liked the southern avenger.

Good for Jack. I agree. A libertarian stands against slavery in every regsard.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Well, as we are discussing on the other thread, slavery would have probably ended in the south soon anyway. The Civil War wasn't about slavery, and a much greater longterm tyranny was inflicted on the entire country due to the results of the Civil War. Many people see it as a symbol of freedom from central authority and nothing to do with slavery, so you don't have to be a neo-confederate and support slavery.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Why can't anyone ever understand individual responsibility.

This is definitely about a $#@!ed up individual..
    I don't even want to read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Well, as we are discussing on the other thread, slavery would have probably ended in the south soon anyway. The Civil War wasn't about slavery, and a much greater longterm tyranny was inflicted on the entire country due to the results of the Civil War. Many people see it as a symbol of freedom from central authority and nothing to do with slavery, so you don't have to be a neo-confederate and support slavery.
    Well said, and shame on Rand's recent comments. I wouldn't blame any southerner for blowing Rand off in the ballot booth. And I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

So not only is he caving in to the proglodytes, but he's pushing the white guilt narrative of the McKinney pool party incident... Let me know when Jack gets his balls back.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

So what happened to this guy really? He hasn't gained the respect of the people who took him down and he lost all the respect of those who used to follow him.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Well it's a good thing S.C. took the flag down and killed racism once-and-for-all. I mean, who knew it was so easy?

Abe Lincoln got tangled in a war which split the country in half and ended with over half a million dead, but all he really had to do was go rounding up flags and *poof* racial harmony.

And yes I'm being facetious, and probably politically incorrect and in poor-taste so soon after the tragedy, but it's a symbol. Taking down a flag isn't going to do much to end racial violence. 99% percent (probably more) of the white people who admire, revere (or whatever you want to call it) the Confederate flag don't do so for racial motivations, and aren't going to commit racial violence regardless of whether it flies or not, and the remaining 1% (probably less) who are actual racists are simply going to be more incensed regarding its removal. I seriously doubt the flag motivated Dylan Roof to commit that heinous act. He did it because he already hated black people, and more apparent, he was a $#@!ing psychopath.

Then there's also the theory that erasing or obscuring history might not be particularly wise for those wishing not to repeat it.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 06-25-2015 at 05:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Then there's also the theory that erasing or obscuring history might not be particularly wise for those wishing not to repeat it.
    Of course, if your goal is to re-institute a subservient society, then it makes sense to erase all reminders of what that looked like before.

Once again, the media has taken an incident and used it for their devious game. First, they get the discussion to be about race - which is good for ratings, a great division tool and a perfect distraction. Next, they get to paint "the South" in a disparaging light - always good for those who like power. They also get to further dismiss the idea of a rebellion. At a time when people are starting to recognize the tyrannical government they have, it is useful to have the populace associate the symbol of the last rebellion with disgust.

I don't care about the flag one way or the other, but I do care about how and why this "controversy" is being managed. You can be sure of this: it isn't being done to create racial harmony.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

The North isn't comfortable with slavery unless you are supplying them with a lot of oil.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well it's a good thing S.C. took the flag down and killed racism once-and-for-all. I mean, who knew it was so easy?
    The sad part is that if they had just removed those flags the day before the killings, they might not have taken place.
    At least now we can all rest easy that their removal prevented a massacre tomorrow.
    We've all been led to believe that guns kill people, yet it was flags all along.

Oh...and life iS that easy...

see? EASY!
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

We've known for 3 years he does whatever Rand is doing.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I am a libertarian, a Christian, and I am very much not against slavery simply because of what it is.

I can read, I know what the text of the 13th amendment says, and unlike what seems like everyone else, I know that slavery was never banned outright in the US.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I am a libertarian, a Christian, and I am very much not against slavery simply because of what it is.

I can read, I know what the text of the 13th amendment says, and unlike what seems like everyone else, I know that slavery was never banned outright in the US.
    Three felonies a day.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Of course, if your goal is to re-institute a subservient society, then it makes sense to erase all reminders of what that looked like before.
    I'm glad someone else understands this line of thought.

If you're gonna take down the flag, you might as well destroy every relic civil war cannon on every battlefield park in the U.S. Fort Sumter needs to be demolished. etc etc. But then again, you'd also need to demolish every statue or rename every library named after Abolitionists, etc etc. I mean, if you're going to destroy every remnant of the Confederacy or slavery, then what exactly were these anti-slavery people fighting against? See? It wouldn't make sense.

But I think people are overblowing the racism thing. Roof was a psychopath, plain and simple. The fact that he was a racist should be an afterthought considering you first have to arrive at the conclusion that it's just not $#@!ing normal to sit through a bible study meeting waiting to kill people, period. But to hear the media tell it, it's more like the guy's worst characteristic was that he was a racist, and he just happened to kill 9 people.

Being a racist is bad, being a killer is bad, but, um, if I had to prioritize the two . . . um, yeah.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 06-25-2015 at 06:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

If you're gonna take down the flag, you might as well destroy every relic civil war cannon on every battlefield park in the U.S. Fort Sumter needs to be demolished. etc etc. But then again, you'd also need to demolish every statue or rename every library named after Abolitionists, etc etc. I mean, if you're going to destroy every remnant of the Confederacy or slavery, then what exactly were these anti-slavery people fighting against? See? It wouldn't make sense.

But I think people are overblowing the racism thing. Roof was a psychopath, plain and simple. The fact that he was a racist should be an afterthought considering you first have to arrive at the conclusion that it's just not $#@!ing normal to sit through a bible study meeting waiting to kill people, period. But to hear the media tell it, it's more like the guy's worst characteristic was that he was a racist, and he just happened to kill 9 people.

Being a racist is bad, being a killer is bad, but, um, if I had to prioritize the two . . . um, yeah.
    The National Park Service has asked it's store's to quit selling the flag. At Civil War memorial sites. WTF? Really?

"So, children, here we see the flag of the Union of the North which fought against the Confed...ummm, some bad people, ummm, racists from the Sou...ummm, somewhere."

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    So what happened to this guy really? He hasn't gained the respect of the people who took him down and he lost all the respect of those who used to follow him.
    It seems to me Jack has lost all independent thought, and that he is now nothing more than a parrot of whatever Rand Paul says. Don't get me wrong, I support Rand, but I don't have much respect for Jack if he can't think for himself. I used to think Jack Hunter was cool, he sounds like a wimp now.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Well, as we are discussing on the other thread, slavery would have probably ended in the south soon anyway. The Civil War wasn't about slavery, and a much greater longterm tyranny was inflicted on the entire country due to the results of the Civil War.
    I needed a good laugh this morning.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you blame him?? He's trying to save his career. But he should know better. The Confederate flag is based on the Scottish National flag which is based on the Saint Andrews' cross. St Andrew was crucified on a large X because he felt he wasn't worthy to be crucified on the same type of cross as Jesus. Today St Andrew is the Patron Saint of Russia and Scotland.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

How do you go from Southern Avenger to this in a very short time? I smell a rat.

Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    Can you blame him?? He's trying to save his career. But he should know better.
    He was the Southern Avenger though, this was his career. Sure, he can do whatever he wants. But this is like Babe Ruth saying Baseball sucks, and people who like Baseball are morons.

Jack used to be a fire breathing paleoconservative, now he's a whimpering political Shih Tzu.
    Last edited by William Tell; 06-25-2015 at 08:15 AM.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

And I would maintain Roof was neither psychopath nor racist, but government coordinated or shepherded (likely through SSRI drugs). He was a disturbed, but high functioning asset. Severe psychos are unpredictable and undisciplined---they are not able to plan a massacre for over six months, patiently sit through a service, carefully identify the pastor main target, efficiently reload the weapon several times, leave in likewise smooth manner, drive for a day without other incident, and react calmly to their arrest.

These are the earmarks of very controlled, premediated behavior, which if there is a federal/civil rights trial will be pointed out by the prosecutors, as in other "psycho" shooting cases. Yet the media coverage always follows the "he was out of control" model of framing the matter to the public, so it won't ask the wrong questions. Nor does a "racist" have lots of black friends in his Facebook account, liberal Democrat family members, and so on. So the other way to account for all this "non-normal" behavior is to recognize it's a trained person who was activated to perform a false flag op.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    He was the Southern Avenger though, this was his career. Sure, he can do whatever he wants. But this is like Babe Ruth saying Baseball sucks, and people who like Baseball are morons.

Jack used to be a fire breathing paleoconservative, now he's a whimpering political Shih Tzu.
    I don't think that he's really changed that much. I've just watched a couple of his recent videos, and his overall tone is about the same as it was 8 years ago. The only major way that he's changed that I know of is his superficial identification with the confederacy.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

I am a secessionist and I like the article.

Being a symbol, the Confederate flag means different things to different people. There is no question that to many it represents slavery and racism. There is no denying this. And any advocate of freedom and humanity must oppose slavery and racism. But when it comes to the meaning of the Confederate flag, there is a baby floating around in that filthy bathwater: the idea that the only legitimate form of government is by consent of the governed and when people choose to dissolve their bonds to a government and institute a new one, they should be free to do so peacefully. That is a crucial issue that goes to the very foundation of a free society. So how do we pour out the bathwater and save the baby? I don't know. Maybe we can't. It is likely that the Confederate flag can't be rescued from the taint of slavery and racism any more than the swastika can be returned to its pre-Nazi usage. Is it worth trying to fight for it? Or is it better to sacrifice it on the alter of love as the Southern Avenger does in this article? I tend to think the later.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast