Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning, and so it begins

Canning, and so it begins

And so it begins. Canning 2015. 36 cans of beans. Many many more to go.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Peaches....yeah!....oh beans......just a little yeah.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

wow.

last frost was 17 days ago here.

LOL

105 tomato plants in 20 pepper 20 cukes...

frost burned my apple orchard tho

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    wow.

last frost was 17 days ago here.

LOL

105 tomato plants in 20 pepper 20 cukes...

frost burned my apple orchard tho
    What are you going to ferment?

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    And so it begins. Canning 2015. 36 cans of beans. Many many more to go.

Yum! How big is the plot you use to grow these things ? Looks like large enough to be self-sufficient when it comes to vegetables/legumes... Pretty awesome!
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What are you going to ferment?
    Been thinking of doing 50lb bag of rice wine Trust the bubbles will bubble on

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Yum! How big is the plot you use to grow these things ? Looks like large enough to be self-sufficient when it comes to vegetables/legumes... Pretty awesome!
    LOL, I grow a little less then 1/2 acre but the beans are just 2 rows of 160' with about 50% germination (seed was old). So mathematically 1 x160' and I'll probably get another 100-150 cans or so. If you can eat beans day in and day out the Earth will provide.

I've got my sights set further ahead though. I have about 200 tomato plants (I only wanted 100, grew them from seed and couldn't kill em!!!) I also have 29 rows of sweet corn. With the tomatoes I make just about whatever you can think of. The obvious ones are pasta sauce and salsa. But I've made ketchup and BBQ from scratch. Most sauce/salsa recipes call for adding tomato paste. I squeeze out the juice instead and turn it into soup, ketchup and BBQ.

On the sweet corn. Thats my calling card. Its always been my favorite vegetable. I'll pretty much eat sweet corn the entire summer every day. I'll also process and freeze several 100 cups of it. On top of that, its a good way to chat with the neighbors. I give away tons of it.

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Peaches....yeah!....oh beans......just a little yeah.
    Summers got to start somewhere. Plus my peach trees are quite small.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The obvious ones are pasta sauce and salsa.
    We've been doing gilbertie and amish paste tomatoes for about 10 years now from saved seed.

(remember that Big Bang episode where Lenard's Mom and Sheldon decide to do the math)....well, I did the math. If I put my whole garden into beans on 24" rows I'd expect to net somewhere around 7200 quart cans or 19 per day for the entire calendar year not counting all the fresh beans for that 4-6 week period. Then if I dug them up, I'm in a warm enough climate that I could replant and expect similar production again in the same year.

So my little -1/2 acre plot could produce 900 gallons of beans in one planting. I'm assuming you've seen 55 gallon drums. The garden would only do about 16 of them LOL!!! 45 day maturity beans.

(remember that Big Bang episode where Lenard's Mom and Sheldon decide to do the math)....well, I did the math. If I put my whole garden into beans on 24" rows I'd expect to net somewhere around 7200 quart cans or 19 per day for the entire calendar year not counting all the fresh beans for that 4-6 week period. Then if I dug them up, I'm in a warm enough climate that I could replant and expect similar production again in the same year.

So my little -1/2 acre plot could produce 900 gallons of beans in one planting. I'm assuming you've seen 55 gallon drums. The garden would only do about 16 of them LOL!!! 45 day maturity beans.
    Well, if you have enough space, variety.. Unless you like eating beans each day and every day.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    We've been doing gilbertie and amish paste tomatoes for about 10 years now from saved seed.
    I've got amish paste in for the first time this year. They look fantastic. If they taste decent we'll never grow another roma as long as I live.

I've got amish paste in for the first time this year. They look fantastic. If they taste decent we'll never grow another roma as long as I live.
    roma's are better in a salad than the amish for sure but the amish blow them away in cooking time for sauce and the quality is very nice; rarely blemished.

amongst our gilberties (which are by themselves heavy huge cylindrical tomatoes) we had one tomato that was "fasciated" or fused as a twin pair of tomatoes.

Supposedly "some of the offspring" of a fasciated tomato will show the trait. So we planted 30 of those seed this year and are calling them "lips" because the fasciated gilbertie looked like a huge set of lips.

example fasciated cherry tomato
    Last edited by presence; 06-22-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Looks great! We only did tomatoes this year to let the garden rest and only 18 plants. Had I known this was going to be a good 'mater year I would have tripled that. Already 160 on the vine!

Last year I mostly grew fat deer, so there wasn't a whole lot of planting this time.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Last year I mostly grew fat deer, so there wasn't a whole lot of planting this time.
    You've gotta pluck 'em while you can still see spots......

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Looks great! We only did tomatoes this year to let the garden rest and only 18 plants. Had I known this was going to be a good 'mater year I would have tripled that. Already 160 on the vine!
    You got to much time on your hands if you got time to "count your chickens before they hatch". Although I did see an Amish paste that had to have 30 all on its own.

You got to much time on your hands if you got time to "count your chickens before they hatch". Although I did see an Amish paste that had to have 30 all on its own.
    I've never really heard of this Amish paste variety.. I should look into it. The growing season for tomatoes is very short here. Without a greenhouse a single plant will only yield a couple good tomatoes, or a couple dozen small ones. Yet in the high-tech greenhouses we have here, they grow 110lbs of high quality tomatoes per square meter, so about 11-12lbs/sqft per year. So you got yourself organized well when you count by the lb or in your case, jars. I do envy you, I wish I had enough space for a vegetable garden. I could rent a plot a mile away or so but that's not as convenient as having it right next your house.

Lol, silly question maybe, how many canning jars do you have ? I guess that's quite an investment or were you lucky ?
    "I am a bird"

Lol. Not that hard doing the watering. It is only 18 plants. Last three years had been terrible for tomato yield so the one year I decide to let it rest,amend the soil and cover and kill weeds.....

I've never really heard of this Amish paste variety.. I should look into it. The growing season for tomatoes is very short here. Without a greenhouse a single plant will only yield a couple good tomatoes, or a couple dozen small ones. Yet in the high-tech greenhouses we have here, they grow 110lbs of high quality tomatoes per square meter, so about 11-12lbs/sqft per year. So you got yourself organized well when you count by the lb or in your case, jars. I do envy you, I wish I had enough space for a vegetable garden. I could rent a plot a mile away or so but that's not as convenient as having it right next your house.

Lol, silly question maybe, how many canning jars do you have ? I guess that's quite an investment or were you lucky ?
    Dollar general did spend $25 get $5 off. I wore them out that year with coupons but if I recall correctly $25 bought 6 twelve packs. I probably have $250 or so into it.

Amish paste I got the seeds off eBay. I think I read about them in a gardening magazine.

Where do you live? I'm in tn. I still start mine in a greenhouse. I think with tomatoes you pretty much have to start em inside somewhere.

I drank some liquor out of a canning jar .

Well, if you have enough space, variety.. Unless you like eating beans each day and every day.
    Also, canning goes 5 years or more. So overgrow one thing or a few things to can one year, and overgrow something else next year. Plan a 3-4 year rotation on your canning.

I wonder how Pusa Asita carrots will can...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is good you are using a pressure canner with beans. yes. This is good.

I've got my sights set further ahead though. I have about 200 tomato plants (I only wanted 100, grew them from seed and couldn't kill em!!!)
    There's a community garden run by a local Catholic charity. For the past three years I've donated my extra transplants to them.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Also, canning goes 5 years or more. So overgrow one thing or a few things to can one year, and overgrow something else next year. Plan a 3-4 year rotation on your canning.
    How does that work out quality wise ? I've been under the impression that even though food remains safe to eat the quality will slowly deteriorate when it comes to taste.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I drank some liquor out of a canning jar .
    What????!!!??? But that would be illegal....or did you submit the taxes to the appropriate authorities?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    5 years. I've ate stuff canned 20 yrs ago. But I do try to get at it prior to that. I think my oldest is 2011 right now. I found a few jars that didn't get rotated correctly.

How does that work out quality wise ? I've been under the impression that even though food remains safe to eat the quality will slowly deteriorate when it comes to taste.
    Canned beans taste like canned beans. I've never noticed a change in flavor. Anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast