Thread: Rand Paul to raid cannabis summit for campaign cash

Rand Paul to raid cannabis summit for campaign cash

Rand Paul to raid pot summit for campaign cash

Olivier Knox
    June 18, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul, the most vocal critic of the “war on drugs” in the 2016 Republican presidential field, will host a “private briefing” on June 30 for campaign donors on the sidelines of the 2nd annual Cannabis Business Summit and Expo in Denver, according to an invitation for the event obtained by Yahoo News.

It’s not clear whether any of Paul’s rivals for the GOP nomination will associate themselves with the gathering, which is put on by the National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA). Other headline events at the June 29-July 1 forum include pot-themed sessions called “Running Your Cannabusiness,” “Cultivation and Processing,” “Money Matters,” “Finance, Accounting and Insurance,” and “The Law, Policy and Reform.”

NCIA forwarded its members an invitation from Paul’s campaign for a “VIP reception” at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver. There are three donor levels: $2,700 gets “attendee” status, someone wanting the “sponsor” label has to kick in $5,400, while a “host” must pony up $10,400. Any checks must be payable to “Rand Paul Victory Committee.”

read more:
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/rand-...872321621.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It’s not clear whether any of Paul’s rivals for the GOP nomination will associate themselves with the gathering
    Unfortunately, it is.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It ain't cheap anymore to be Rand supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Unfortunately, it is.
    Oh well, take the good with the bad. Since Rand should be the only one attending, one would think he could stand to gain a very substantial amount of money simply due to the fact they'll most likely reward him generously for being the only one to attend. Hopefully he can really keep his new tax proposal front and center to provide a little cover.

Rand does not need cover. It is time GOP took ownership of driving marijuana legalization efforts. Most of the country is in favor anyway. This should be a walk in park as no rational argument can be made against this. But get ready for big lies, let's see how low will they go ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Rand does not need cover. It is time GOP took ownership of driving marijuana legalization efforts. Most of the country is in favor anyway. This should be a walk in park as no rational argument can be made against this. But get ready for big lies, let's see how low will they go ;-)
    My thoughts exactly.

Rand has absolutely nothing to fear from associating with this issue.

He should have priced it at an oz of good weed in colorado and he'd have grassroots climbing walls.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

That's what I'm worried about. I agree Rand "should" have nothing to fear, but the fact is it's still a republican primary. And unfortunately this issue is still seen by many especially in Iowa as a liberal cause. But still Rand definitely needs to go. The quarter will be coming to a close and I have a feeling the fundraiser will be huge.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    But still Rand definitely needs to go. The quarter will be coming to a close and I have a feeling the fundraiser will be huge.
    Yup, time to start milking this cow
    Last edited by timosman; 06-18-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Thumbs down 90% discount ?

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    He should have priced it at an oz of good weed in colorado and he'd have grassroots climbing walls.
    That would be 90% discount from what he is charging, not good. Plus he should stay away from monkeys, sorry ... wall climbers. Wanna get high ? Do it on your own dime. You can show your face once THC wears off. And do not yell.

“Never before has a major-party presidential candidate held a reception at a cannabis industry event, and NCIA is proud to host Senator Paul,” NCIA says.
    Awesome, glad to see he's doing this.

Interesting word choice for the headline though.

Plus he should stay away from monkeys, sorry ... wall climbers. Wanna get high ? Do it on your own dime. You can show your face once THC wears off. And do not yell.
    I'm really confused.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Most Democrats (59 percent), independents (54 percent), liberals (72 percent), and moderates (54 percent), support legalizing marijuana use.
    However, most Republicans (61 percent) and conservatives (61 percent) oppose legalizing marijuana, though support has risen among these groups as well.
    Support for legalizing marijuana use has risen six points among Americans earning under $100K a year (50 percent now vs. 44 percent), and 12 points among those earning $100K or more (64 percent now vs. 52 percent).
    there are reasons i'm loathe to describe myself politically as a republican, but the beauty of this is that it reflects well among my peers. now if I can just convince them that Rand is a man of peace....
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm really confused.
    I was gonna say it's cause your high...but I don't get it either and I don't smoke cannabis.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

There are some issues that Rand Paul needs to be careful about during the primary. This isn't one of them. Most Republicans may not fully embrace legalizing marijuana, but it's way down on the list of things they care about. Now if this were an amnesty summit, I'd be freaking out, LOL.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Rand has absolutely nothing to fear from associating with this issue.
    Cannabis is going corporate . . . " it's just a job "

One of the advertisements for the 2nd Convention in Denver next weekend has photos of this building shown below
    (picture in ad is not these internet jpgs . . . but same building)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

http://www.theweedblog.com/rand-paul...ndustry-event/

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., the most vocal critic of the “war on drugs” in the 2016 Republican presidential field,
    will host a “private briefing” on June 30 for campaign donors on the sidelines of the second annual Cannabis Business Summit and Expo in Denver,
    according to an invitation for the event obtained by Yahoo News.

“He will take your questions and talk about his support of federal medical marijuana, his push to reform banking laws so
    they do not deny services to legal cannabis businesses, his work on criminal justice reform,
    and his support of allowing states to determine their own cannabis laws.

“Never before has a major-party presidential candidate held a reception at a cannabis industry event, and NCIA is proud to host Senator Paul,” NCIA says.
    The event will be co-hosted by NCIA’s political action committee.

I can't wait to read the reviews after Rand attends this event. Between criminal justice reform, marijuana, privacy, and the least interventionist foreign policy it's going to be hard for those that normally vote democrat/independents to not vote for Rand. The right will be slandering and so will the left for fear of losing votes. Oh well, no matter what deep down they know he's right.

Jan2017

I think it is good that this "issue" comes down to a campaign that supports states' rights - in cannabis laws and other in general -
    smaller federal government, James Madison and the Anti-Federalist Papers etc. ... instead of what the (federal) government can do for you.