Thread: Virginia Just Banned Using ‘Cuss Words’ In Public

Virginia Just Banned Using ‘Cuss Words’ In Public

Good thing I don't live in Virginia.

No, this law was not written in the 1800s, and yes the police are actually enforcing a Virginia ban on using “curse words”.

If you are in the City of Arlington, you could be faced with a $250 if you say words that county officials have defined as “profanity”.

The Arlington County Board recently approved the bizarre measure which increases penalties for both public intoxication as well as what they are calling “blue language” from $100 to $250.

This code change was adopted during last Saturday’s board meeting, not in 1852. It came at the request of the Arlington Police Department itself, which reported making 664 arrests for public inebriation as well as “potty language” in 2014 alone!

Now, they say they want more latitude, to include a wider array of words that they can arrest people for.

We asked the police as well as city officials how many of those 664 arrests were specifically for the use of such “blue language,” but both declined to tell us the break down.

The city officials did note, however, that the new revised regulation replaced the word “drunkenness” with “intoxication” so they can more easily crack down on anyone if they appear “intoxicated” even if they do not have any alcohol in their system.

This ordinance adopted by Arlington is not unique to the city. It actually brings the city in line with the broader, statewide Virginia law which bans “profanity” and classifies it as a Class 4 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $250.
    http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...rds-in-public/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    there are also many days, living here in Virginia, when I count my blessings because I do not live in Georgia.
    The reality is that every state is rotten. The whole voting with your feet thing, and the idea that 1 of the states might have gotten it right, is entirely fallacious.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    there are also many days, living here in Virginia, when I count my blessings because I do not live in Georgia. The reality is that every state is rotten.there are also many days, living here in virginia, when I count my blessings because I do not live in georgia. The reality is that every state is rotten. The whole voting with your feet thing, and the idea that 1 of the states might have gotten it right, is entirely fallacious.
    Oh I don't believe any state has gotten it right, especially not Georgia. I just happen to have a potty mouth and was imagining the look on Mr Animal's when he came to bail me out when I made that off the cuff comment.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

$#@! 'em .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    $#@! 'em .
    Yeah, what he said.

That's OK, I have no plans for ever visiting Virginia anyway.

Oh wait, might this just not be a feasible means of removing some less than desirable elements from the streets?
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 06-18-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Annnnnnnnnnnd thisgoeshere ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb21_qI90pE
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 06-18-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

there are also many days, living here in Virginia, when I count my blessings because I do not live in Georgia.
    The reality is that every state is rotten. The whole voting with your feet thing, and the idea that 1 of the states might have gotten it right, is entirely fallacious.
    Try Alaska, lots of room, very few folks.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    By "blue language" they mean any curse directed at a man in a blue uniform.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

This is just the city of Arlington, not the whole state. Also this law has apparently been on the books for a century plus, and was just updated to include other forms of intoxication to go along with "drunkenness", and upping the fine by 150%. So the media stories saying that they just made cussing illegal is completely wrong - it's been that way since like the 1890s.

First they need to define "Cuss Words."

There is a big difference between profanity and cussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Good thing I don't live in Virginia
    What's the difference?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    By "blue language" they mean any curse directed at a man in a blue uniform.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Acala again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    First they need to define "Cuss Words."

There is a big difference between profanity and cussing.
    You have to say them to know if they are illegal. Cue Carlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Good thing I don't live in Virginia.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...rds-in-public/
    no $#@! !

Thats against Free Speech and 1st Amendment!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-23-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

New state slogan: Virginia is for f******.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    New state slogan: Virginia is for f******.
    Nazis!

Sadly, this is all so very true. I do believe that these idiotic ideas have been strongly forwarded by those who want us to do absolutely anything, so long as it does not involve unequivocal material action that might actually affect change at a fundamental level. For Themme, that would be badness in the flesh.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Yeah, what he said.
    $#@!in' ditto.

I believe there's a haiku coming on... wait for it... wait for it... wait...

$#@! you Virginia,
    and the dildo you rode on.
    $#@! your tyranny.

And of course, there is my famous "$#@!" haiku, to be posted in the spirit of Martin Luther upon the door of the Virginia state house:

$#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@!
    $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@!
    $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@!

And finally:

Breathe deep, the freedom.
    Virginia shows us the way.
    $#@! the world, oopsie.
    Last edited by osan; 06-19-2015 at 05:45 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Next, they're gonna make sure you eat your vegetables and brush your teeth. Pull yer pants up!

They can $#@! themselves.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    This is just the city of Arlington, not the whole state. Also this law has apparently been on the books for a century plus, and was just updated to include other forms of intoxication to go along with "drunkenness", and upping the fine by 150%. So the media stories saying that they just made cussing illegal is completely wrong - it's been that way since like the 1890s.
    I have made " drunkenness " , " blue language " , shooting things , bbq , real money etc ,and other fun things a tradition that pre dates 1890, but I could use a pair of nicer 1890 nickels for my second and third Liberty nickel collections, anyone know Liberty ?
    . Any of you know what a silver half dime looks like ? I collect those too

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    $#@!in' ditto.

I believe there's a haiku coming on... wait for it... wait for it... wait...

$#@! you Virginia,
    and the dildo you rode on.
    $#@! your tyranny.

And of course, there is my famous "$#@!" haiku, to be posted in the spirit of Martin Luther upon the door of the Virginia state house:

$#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@!
    $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@!
    $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@! $#@!

And finally:

Breathe deep, the freedom.
    Virginia shows us the way.
    $#@! the world, oopsie.
    That was beautiful.

I'm in rep debt to osan. Would someone help me out?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to osan again.

So when a cop tells someone to "get on the $#@!ing floor" is it open season?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    So when a cop tells someone to "get on the $#@!ing floor" is it open season?
    No no silly!

When kops use certain words it's permissible because it's important that the urgency of their commands be understood....