Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rand's WSJ Op-Ed: Blow Up the Tax Code and Start Over

I would prefer blow up the tax code and then stop there. Hey, I can dream right?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where can I find out more about this plan? Is there any more?
    Does anyone else realize that a "simple" 14.5% here is anything but simple?

The first video posted by Barrex specifically mentions eliminating employee-paid FICA taxes. That's not in the text.
    Can I assume that the 14.5% will be the only deduction on my paycheck?
    Does it follow then that he's proposing we also eliminate medicare/medicaid payroll deductions, and roll that into the one rate?

If the first $50k is not taxed, does that mean I get a GIGANTIC refund in April now, since I have a mortgage and give charitably?
    In order not to tax the first $50k they're either
    1) going to not withhold for the first part of the year, meaning that after I hit $50k I will start having withholdings, which I am totally not cool with, or
    2) they're going to have to charge 14.5% all year, and if I have (for example) a $60k salary they'll have to withhold $8700. But 14.5% of the taxable revenue is only $1450, so they'll have to refund me a whopping $7250, which they've drawn interest on all year instead of me doing it.

Except.... this is not qualified.
    deductions except for a mortgage
    Mortgage.... what? Mortgage payments, or mortgage interest?
    If it's mortgage payment, I mean, holy $#@!, I could make $90k in one year, I could totally live off of $50k, and then I'd be putting $40k per year into mortgage payments!
    If it's just interest, then that's a whole lot of complication and reporting and accountancy job program built into the system.
    In either case, that gigantic refund is getting even bigger!!!

More to the point, how is mortgage anything actually pro-growth? He sounds like he's against creating unnecessary accountancy jobs, but what do YOU call it if you're encouraging people never to pay off their mortgages? I call that a lot of accountancy job creation and not a whole lot of increase of standard of living for the rest of us.

And how about medical deductions?
    Rand, you wanna clarify that please? There are a lot of people out there who recognize that a large chunk of the problem with our medical system is exactly that true costs are obscured and therefore spiral out of control, and it's all because employers are offering tax-free medical programs as incentives to work for them.
    You wanna maybe point out that all that goes away the minute you stop allowing us to deduct medical expenses? I think that's kind of important! You can either phrase it in libertarian terms (that in the long run costs go down and quality of care goes up).... OR, you can allow your enemies to phrase the argument, and it's going to go exactly like this: "RAND WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR EMPLOYER-SUBSIDIZED MEDICAL CARE!!!!"
    Last edited by fisharmor; 06-18-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Rand should also propose removing all withholding requirements and make the tax bill due the day before election day.
    I've always supported this idea! Man, people would be a LOT more attentive to government pigs if they were forced to pay the bill themselves...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Ugh, not a huge fan of what Rand proposed in the second video. Why didn't he just stop with the first populist one?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

I like the idea of simplifying the tax code, but What I really don't want to see is for the government revenue to go down while the government spending stays the same. Cutting $2 billion from the amount we spend is going to be a hard sell, especially considering that the main objective of the single most powerful lobbyist group is to keep medicare and social security around.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Rand should also propose removing all withholding requirements and make the tax bill due the day before election day.
    How about the day after?

Libertarian thought process defined:
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

OMG SECOND ONE IS AWESOME

RAND 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Ugh, not a huge fan of what Rand proposed in the second video. Why didn't he just stop with the first populist one?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Ugh, not a huge fan of what Rand proposed in the second video.
    So ... you're saying you want Rand to make you cry, say goodbye, tell a lie and hurt you ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Libertarian thought process defined:
    I dunno, I like how libertarians generally click through and become at least familiarized with what the actual argument is.
    Personally, I think the second video epitomizes libertarian society. A statist system would not - could not - produce a video of such caliber, and bestow on it such lasting utility.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Well, this is better than the current model. 14.5% would eliminate loopholes. It has a lot to mollify liberals as well. The rich almost never pay the full 35%. Mitt Romney only paid about 13% during the last Presidential Circus. This would make him, and others like him, pay a higher amount, period. Plus, and this is a HUGE thing, the first $50,000 would be tax free, which would mean most people in the country wouldn't pay any taxes. For conservatives, the cut in corporate taxes, payroll taxes, capital gains taxes, death taxes, income taxes, etc. is a huge boon for personal and economic prosperity. So, yes. Much better than the current model.

That said, the only fair tax is his father's proposed flat taxes of 0-0-0.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    Funny to hear the "point five" that was obviously recorded in different settings and spliced in and doesn't fit at all. I hate seeing (hearing) such amateurish video editing and production. For me it distracts a bit and makes me wonder what level of people he has working for him. The message is great though it leaves many questions.
    Last edited by jtap; 06-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    So ... you're saying you want Rand to make you cry, say goodbye, tell a lie and hurt you ... ?
    I'm soooo confused.... the second video is a $#@!ty 80s music cover video.... Did I miss something?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyExtremist View Post
    I would prefer blow up the tax code and then stop there. Hey, I can dream right?
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I'm soooo confused.... the second video is a $#@!ty 80s music cover video.... Did I miss something?
    You need to watch carefully. Rand is there.

Also:

"blow it up", "put a stake through it"... very aggressive for someone who is advocating non-aggression.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

I've been waiting for Rand to go hardcore fiscal conservative for months (since he's been focusing instead on other issues recently), because this is where he really distinguishes himself from the others in a way that most resonates with the primary voters (and because it's the issue I personally think is most important). And Rand did not disappoint!

Beck and company were drooling over Rand's tax plan today. Pat the one who usually hates on Rand said it made him want to leave the radio show and work to get Rand elected like Kibbe. Pretty good stuff.
    the rEVOLution begins!

this is a very nice move by the campaign! well-played

Ooooooh I Like this idea! +rep

Oops, out of rep--I already gave rep for posting the op-ed in the first place!

Can someone please cover?

BTW, there was a positive news article about Rand's tax plan in the WSJ. Hopefully this gets a lot of traction.
    Last edited by francisco; 06-18-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I approve. Never perfect but so much better. Imagine millions of people with a bunch more take home pay...that is a huge benefit to the economy.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    Ooooooh I Like this idea! +rep

Oops, out of rep--I already gave rep for posting the op-ed in the first place!

Can someone please cover?
    Done.

- ML

If that ever happened there would be revolt in this country. The elites would never let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by garyallen59 View Post
    Beck and company were drooling over Rand's tax plan today. Pat the one who usually hates on Rand said it made him want to leave the radio show and work to get Rand elected like Kibbe. Pretty good stuff.
    YouTubes or it didn't happen!

How to be like Rand Paul:
    1. Kick ass
    2. Take names later
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 06-19-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Glenn says Rand has the best platform on the IRS out of every single candidate.

THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I want to see someone actually blow up 70,000 pages of tax code.

C'mon, youtubers!

A box of copy paper is 5k sheets (10 reams @ 500 sheets/ream), so 14 boxes for 70k pages. Easy-peasy.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Does it follow then that he's proposing we also eliminate medicare/medicaid payroll deductions, and roll that into the one rate?
    The text says it eliminates the payroll tax, so that's the 6.2% for social security and 1.45% for Medicare (for the employee). This is one of the main differentiators of this plan compared to other flat tax proposals. Eliminating the payroll tax and the first $50k income exemption are what benefits the median US household, which has an income around $50k. This means that median household pays $0 taxes based on income with this plan compared to roughly $6200 (12% of income) currently. This is a 100% savings on income taxes.

Here's various savings based on some income amounts:

$25k income: 8% taxes now, 0% taxes with Rand = 100% saving
    $50k income: 12% taxes now, 0% taxes with Rand = 100% saving
    $75k income: 16% taxes now, 5% taxes with Rand = 69% saving
    $100k income: 18% taxes now, 7% taxes with Rand = 59% saving
    $125k income: 20% taxes now, 9% taxes with Rand = 56% saving
    $150k income: 21% taxes now, 10% taxes with Rand = 54% saving
    $175k income: 22% taxes now, 10% taxes with Rand = 53% saving
    $200k income: 23% taxes now, 11% taxes with Rand = 52% saving

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    In order not to tax the first $50k they're either
    1) going to not withhold for the first part of the year, meaning that after I hit $50k I will start having withholdings, which I am totally not cool with, or
    2) they're going to have to charge 14.5% all year, and if I have (for example) a $60k salary they'll have to withhold $8700. But 14.5% of the taxable revenue is only $1450, so they'll have to refund me a whopping $7250, which they've drawn interest on all year instead of me doing it.
    There won't be much change in how much is withheld each paycheck in that employers already handle exemptions/deductions based on the allowances people file on their W-4. I.e., there will not be a jump in take home pay because each paycheck's withholding already factors in the "first $50k tax free."

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I've been waiting for Rand to go hardcore fiscal conservative for months (since he's been focusing instead on other issues recently), because this is where he really distinguishes himself from the others in a way that most resonates with the primary voters (and because it's the issue I personally think is most important). And Rand did not disappoint!
    Exactly. This is what I've wanted, as well. It seems to be working...lots of excitement and positivity already from the announcement. He should keep it up!

Zero income tax would be preferable, but Rand's plan is the best one proposed at the moment.

All deductions except for a mortgage and charities would be eliminated. The first $50,000 of income for a family of four would not be taxed. For low-income working families, the plan would retain the earned-income tax credit.
    Mortgage? Banking interests already have an exemption? This is why flat and simple always devolves into what we have today. More and more exceptions for powerful special interests.

And over at the New York Times, they are already screaming that they need more deductions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/up...-its-name.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Mortgage? Banking interests already have an exemption?
    It's not for the bankers, it's for the mortgagees (who vote, you know). That deduction is extremely popular.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast