Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ted Cruz really eligible?

Is Ted Cruz really eligible?

Is Ted Cruz really eligible to run for the office of US President? In this interview with Hannity, Ted says he's eleigible because "as a legal matter", his mother was "born" a US citizen. It comes off to me as if he's using that Harvard lawyer talk to skirt around whether or not his mother became a Canadian citizen. It's not unreasonable to believe his mother became a Canadian citizen. His father became a Canadian citizen, when the two were living and working in Canada, and they were married in Canada just 1 year before Cruz's birth; allegedly 3 years into their alleged Canadian residency.
    Furthermore, what proof at all has Ted Cruz provided to establish that his mother met certain eligibility requirements to "pass on" US citizenship to him, and that she hadn't lived abroad during such periods in which she was required to reside in the US as per statutory requirements?
    [edit: I now know that it doesn't matter if his mother, or both of his parents for that matter, was/were US citizen(s) at the time of Teds' birth; he and/or his parents must look to immigration and naturalization laws to confer US citizenship, making him a naturalized US citizen, not a natural born US citizen]
    Last edited by notsure; 09-22-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    RVO˩UTION

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Appropriate user name for this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Why would Ted Cruz release his Canadian birth certificate in 2013, claiming he's a US citizen and never knew about his alleged "dual citizenship", but not release a 'Consular Report of Birth Abroad' or 'US passport', the only documents that could prove his US citizenship and that prove his parents "claimed" his US citizenship by registering it with the State. Dept?

RVO˩UTION

If Ted Cruz never knew about his dual citizenship, then what documents did he or his parents use to register him for school, a drivers' license, or to vote? He didn't have a US birth certificate. He only had a Canadian birth certificate.
    RVO˩UTION

I've been wondering the exact same thing.

Rubio too?

Ted Cruz alleges that he received his US passport at the age of 14, ahead of a School field trip. If Ted didn't receive a US passport until age 14, then how did he enter the country at age 4? Also, what was Ted Cruz's fathers' legal status in the US for the 30+ years he was in the US, until 2005 when he finally applied for and received US citizenship?
    RVO˩UTION

I haven't really looked into Rubio. From everything I've heard, he was an anchor baby. It's a little unrelated to my current research; I would have to look over the Naturalization Laws to be certain. Some say he's eligible because he was born on US soil, some say no because his parents were not US citizens. It's something I will be looking into more, but the Ted Cruz one really baffles me.
    RVO˩UTION

Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...rds/birth.html
    A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.

The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

If you are a U.S. citizen and have a child overseas, you should report his or her birth as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be issued as an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship. Report the birth of your child abroad at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Check the American Citizens Services portion of the webpage for the nearest Embassy or Consulate in the country where your child was born for further instructions about how to apply for a CRBA.
    RVO˩UTION

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These are the only documents which could prove Ted's US citizenship status. A 'Consular Report of Birth Abroad', or a 'US Passport'. If there's "political chatter", controversy, over Ted's eligibility; then why only release a Canadian birth certificate and not clear the air once and for all by releasing one of these two official documents?

RVO˩UTION

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I've been wondering the exact same thing.

Rubio too?
    From everything I've heard, Rubio, Jindal, and Santorum are anchor babies. I have no idea how true that is. I haven't looked into it much. I'm still unclear what the Constitution and Naturalization Laws say for certain about anchor babies.
    RVO˩UTION

Birthers again? That ship sailed with Obama. All you do now is make the candidate you support a wack job by association when you go all birther.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Birthers again? That ship sailed with Obama. All you do now is make the candidate you support a wack job by association when you go all birther.
    At least nobody is questioning Bush. I also think anchor baby has a nice ring to it. It gives you full confidence in the system being in proper working order.

If you do a search of RPF for "natural born citizen" you'll find reams of arguments from every angle on this issue.

The only invalid argument is ones like this, since it is no argument at all. It's just ridicule through name calling.
    I'd say the main argument is:
    The standards for qualifying as a US "citizen" at the time of birth, are not the same as those which qualify one as a "natural born citizen" of the US.

Yes. Get over it you conspiracy theorists

[Ted Cruz] told ABC News in July[2013] that he's not "going to engage in a legal debate."

"The facts are clear," he continued. "I can tell you where I was born and who my parents were. And then as a legal matter, others can worry about that. I'm not going to engage."
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...h-certificate/

There's no "legal debate". All Cruz would have to do is release a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a US passport. Being a Harvard lawyer, you think he should know these are the only 2 forms of ID that can prove your parents claimed your US citizenship from birth abroad. Any grown man, being born abroad claiming US citizenship, who's been in the US for so long should have these documents.
    RVO˩UTION

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    If you do a search of RPF for "natural born citizen" you'll find reams of arguments from every angle on this issue.

The only invalid argument is ones like this, since it is no argument at all. It's just ridicule through name calling.

I'd say the main argument is:
    The standards for qualifying as a US "citizen" at the time of birth, are not the same as those which qualify one as a "natural born citizen" of the US.
    It seems like common sense that "natural-born" would mean born on US soil, but I've seen in the 1790 Naturalization Laws where a child born abroad to a male US citizen would be eligible to have US citizenship descend to them. And in various resources on State.gov websites that say just one parent (male or female) with US citizenship having children abroad are eligible to pass on their US citizenship to their children.

The question for me isn't whether or not Ted Cruz's mother was "born" a US citizen or not. The minor question is whether Ted's mother filed for Canadian citizenship and renounced her US citizenship. The major question is whether Ted's parents "claimed" his US citizenship and received a 'Consular Report of Birth Abroad' or a 'US passport'. Like I said, Ted should have this information. If the question is out there, the "political chatter", that Ted Cruz has eligibility issues; then why not publish either of these 2 official documents that could possibly put the whole issue to rest? What benefit is it to the Cruz campaign to have these questions lingering over their heads?

From what I've seen in how Ted handles this question, I've noticed he seems to be on script and careful not to mince words. If you listen through his lawyer talk, it raises suspicion as to whether or not his parents failed to register his birth, "claim" his US citizenship, with the State Dept.; or if they ever had any intentions to do so.

*edit* I now know that those sections in the 1790 Naturalization Act, that confer "Natural Born Citizenship" to children born abroad to US citizen parents, were repealed by the 1795 Naturalization Act. Where "Natural born Citizen" was replaced with "Citizen".
    Last edited by notsure; 08-03-2015 at 05:26 AM.
    RVO˩UTION

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    At least nobody is questioning Bush. I also think anchor baby has a nice ring to it. It gives you full confidence in the system being in proper working order.
    Are there any questions regarding Bush's eligibility? From what I've seen he was born in Texas.
    RVO˩UTION

If John McCain is eligible, and it was determined he is, I don't see why Cruz isn't.

Obama already proved that it doesnt really matter where you were born.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Also, $#@! birth certificates and ss cards........

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Also, $#@! birth certificates and ss cards........
    ...and #%$& any and all semblance of the rule of law! Including the BoR...just $%&# it all!
    Yeah! ...that's the ticket! ... Has anybody seen my sniper rifle?
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

I got neg repped twice for pointing out being birthers is a sure fire way to be labeled a wacko. I guess some of you will never learn from the past. Let's buy Rand a blimp!

Jan2017

nope

Cruz was born in Canada
    Last edited by Jan2017; 06-18-2015 at 10:50 AM.

I got neg repped twice for pointing out being birthers is a sure fire way to be labeled a wacko. I guess some of you will never learn from the past. Let's buy Rand a blimp!
    Well I haven't been neg repped yet. I have received a positive rep thus far. I didn't make this post off a whim. It's with great reservation I've made this post. I haven't noticed the conversation here and thought for weeks about posting my questions here. I know it's controversial. But since when did we become afraid of talking about controversial things? Since when in RPF history did it become fashionable to choose silence over the rule of law, or over bringing truth to light? And since when did we start justifying wrongs with other wrongs? I know the repercussions of making this post and the names and insults to be levied on me. Luckily, I'm neither afraid nor swayed by them. Some of us have learned from the past, we've learned the mistake of being silent to the rule of law. We've learned how far silence gets us.
    RVO˩UTION

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good lord.... First off, who cares who 'owned' the dirt under the hospital bed where they were born.

Second, you get derivative citizenship if one of your parents is a US Citizen at birth. THere's some paperwork that needs to be filed, but that can be done at any time later in life.

Bottom line: If your mom is a USC at birth, you are a USC, period. The rest is just fodder for the birthers....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Good lord.... First off, who cares who 'owned' the dirt under the hospital bed where they were born.

Second, you get derivative citizenship if one of your parents is a US Citizen at birth. THere's some paperwork that needs to be filed, but that can be done at any time later in life.

Bottom line: If your mom is a USC at birth, you are a USC, period. The rest is just fodder for the birthers....
    First of all, you may have citizenship descended upon you, if certain requirements are met; but that is only "citizenship", not "natural-born citizenship". As we should all know, the Constitution states only "natural born citizens" can be President.

Secondly, if Ted did meet the requirements, and his parents did take steps to "claim" his citizenship and received a consular report of birth abroad, a us passport, or form of certificate of citizenship; then Ted should be able to produce those documents and not skirt the issue by only releasing his Canadian BC or saying it's a "legal debate" he won't engage in.
    RVO˩UTION

Cruz, a Tea Party favorite, has dismissed questions about his citizenship, including telling ABC News in July he was “not going to engage in a legal debate.”
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...n-citizen-but/

Born in Canada to a U.S. mother and a Cuban father, most legal experts have said Cruz qualifies as a "natural-born citizen," a requirement for the White House job, as stated in the Constitution.

And Cruz seems to agree. He told ABC News in July that he's not "going to engage in a legal debate."

"The facts are clear," he continued. "I can tell you where I was born and who my parents were. And then as a legal matter, others can worry about that. I'm not going to engage."
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...h-certificate/
    RVO˩UTION

Quote Originally Posted by notsure View Post
    First of all, you may have citizenship descended upon you, if certain requirements are met; but that is only "citizenship", not "natural-born citizenship". As we should all know, the Constitution states only "natural born citizens" can be President.

Secondly, if Ted did meet the requirements, and his parents did take steps to "claim" his citizenship and received a consular report of birth abroad, a us passport, or form of certificate of citizenship; then Ted should be able to produce those documents and not skirt the issue by only releasing his Canadian BC or saying it's a "legal debate" he won't engage in.
    Natural born does not mean born in the US. It means at birth. So someone who was born in India and was a citizen of India who emigrates to the US cannot become POTUS. Someone who was born of US Citizen parents and was a US Citizen at birth, regardless of where they were born, is a 'natural born' USC. I worked for federal immigration for 3 years and know a little bit about it
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Natural born does not mean born in the US. It means at birth. So someone who was born in India and was a citizen of India who emigrates to the US cannot become POTUS. Someone who was born of US Citizen parents and was a US Citizen at birth, regardless of where they were born, is a 'natural born' USC. I worked for federal immigration for 3 years and know a little bit about it
    So then you should know that children born abroad do not simply retain birthright citizenship, but that they are eligible to and "may" "claim" their US citizenship. Provided, certain requirements are met.

Why would Ted Cruz release his Canadian BC? If there is controversy over his eligibility, why not release any one of these other official documents that can prove your US citizenship?

There's no indication that Cruz or his parents met these requirements. By releasing only his Canadian birth certificate, there's no indication that he any thing other than a Canadian citizen. As a candidate running for the highest office of the land, he has burden of providing this proof. Simply stating his eligibility as a matter of fact, and brushing off questions, will not suffice.
    RVO˩UTION

In an email to Business Insider last week, Cruz's senior adviser Catherine Frazier said the campaign is pointing any reporters who ask about Cruz's eligibility to the March 11 article by Neal Katyal and Paul Clement.

"Any coverage on this issue should include the Harvard Law Review article by Katyal and Clement," Frazier wrote.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ted-c...irthers-2015-3
    RVO˩UTION

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast