Thread: what to do with savings / 401k ?

what to do with savings / 401k ?

Been reading a lot of doom and gloom lately - more than usual - about an impending stock market downturn, bail-ins, possible move to electronic money, negative savings rates, war, confiscation of gold/silver, more taxes, etc.

Where would you put your money in these trying times?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My main investment is in a utility. People always need energy even in a recession and energy stocks pay dividends- money you get whatever the stock price does- moves up or down. Look into Dividend Re-investment Plans. Instead of paying the dividend to you in a check, they convert it into more shares (usually at no cost to you). That helps your investment grow more. Lowest purchase minimums and lowest costs (costs reduce returns so lower costs= higher returns). I recently purchased an additional $5000 worth- and paid no transaction costs or commissions. Not even places like eTrade can get it that low.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    My main investment is in a utility. People always need energy even in a recession and energy stocks pay dividends- money you get whatever the stock price does- moves up or down. Look into Dividend Re-investment Plans. Instead of paying the dividend to you in a check, they convert it into more shares (usually at no cost to you). That helps your investment grow more. Lowest purchase minimums and lowest costs (costs reduce returns so lower costs= higher returns). I recently purchased an additional $5000 worth- and paid no transaction costs or commissions. Not even places like eTrade can get it that low.
    care to share the name of the utility ?? tks.

It is Sempra Energy which is our local company. Others would probably work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    Been reading a lot of doom and gloom lately - more than usual - about an impending stock market downturn, bail-ins, possible move to electronic money, negative savings rates, war, confiscation of gold/silver, more taxes, etc.

Where would you put your money in these trying times?
    I plan on cashing out and paying off everything , soon ,all the land is pd for already , get a part time job to cover utilities , property tax , cut wood , make beer , you know , fun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    Been reading a lot of doom and gloom lately
    I think you phrased this well. Before you make any major decisions, I would ask yourself if you are choosing to read the doom and gloom or if there really is more doom and gloom.

Have you thought about getting a few 80" flatscreens?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Have you thought about getting a few 80" flatscreens?
    I just bought some 80" rims...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    I just bought some 80" rims...
    For your monster truck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.