Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California lawmakers pass vaccine bill amid contentious debate

California lawmakers pass vaccine bill amid contentious debate

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – California lawmakers on Tuesday approved a bill mandating that schoolchildren be vaccinated, after five hours of highly emotional testimony that brought hundreds of opponents to the Capitol.

SB277 is intended to boost vaccination rates after a measles outbreak at Disneyland that sickened more than 100 in the U.S. and Mexico. It has prompted the most contentious legislative debate of the year with thousands of opponents taking to social media and legislative hearings to protest the legislation.

The Assembly Health Committee approved the legislation 12-6 with one lawmaker abstaining, sending it to the full Assembly for its final legislative hurdle.

The bill would eliminate the personal belief exemption that allows parents to send their unvaccinated children to school. Students who cannot be immunized because of medical problems can still attend, while others must be home-schooled.

If the bill becomes law, California would join Mississippi and West Virginia as the only states with such strict requirements.

"SB277 is about freedom," said Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, one of the bill's authors. "Freedom from deadly, crippling contagions that are now preventable through the science of vaccination."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...cmp=latestnews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "SB277 is about freedom," said Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento,
    Oh, my sides a splitting over here.

“...freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.” - Rudy Giuliani

Here is a pretty good editorial that was sent in to my local online reader:

Vaccination Bill Penalizes Schoolchidren
    A Bad Fix for a Problem That Does Not Exist

Tuesday, June 9, 2015
    By Gail Marshall

I am concerned about the lack of rational perception in regard to SB 277, the legislation that removes our right to opt out of some or all of the vaccines on the current vaccination schedule. SB 277 lists 10 mandated vaccines and “any other disease deemed appropriate by the department.” That translates to about 40 doses of 10 vaccines by age 6 with the ability to mandate additional vaccines as deemed necessary by the government.

The proponents of SB 277 claim their support for mandatory vaccination is based on the science. However, there is no scientific vaccine safety evidence to support the suggested vaccination schedule of 40 doses of 10 vaccines by the age of 6 years. In fact, prior to the current vaccine schedule, the U.S. Supreme Court declared vaccines to be “unavoidably unsafe,” but instead of requiring drug companies to produce safe vaccines, the court shielded the pharmaceutical industry from vaccine injury lawsuits, granting drug companies and medical providers legal immunity. It is truly impossible for an accurate risk-benefit analysis of vaccines with the lack of scientific evidence in place.

However, there are statistics that are kept by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). This is a national vaccine safety surveillance program cosponsored by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS receives approximately 30,000 vaccination injury reports annually, with 13 percent classified as serious (e.g., associated with disability, hospitalization, life-threatening illness, or death). Under the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act, over $3 billion has been paid out for vaccine injuries and deaths. The money paid for injuries and death due to vaccines comes from a surcharge on each vaccination.

SB 277 is a wrong-headed attempt to solve a problem that does not exist. In a population of 38 million, California has reported 136 cases of measles in 2015, 18 percent of the measles cases were in school-aged children — 24 children. These are not numbers to warrant a government medical mandate. Out of 8,200 cases of pediatric pertussis reported in 2014, 90 percent of the children had been vaccinated. This should call into question the efficacy of vaccinations.

We are losing trust in our bodies’ ability to fight illnesses. When I was young, I had measles and mumps. My body recovered, and I was left with a natural immunity that I passed along to my newborn children. Vaccinated mothers will not pass temporary immunity to their newborns. My son had chicken pox when he was 5, and my daughter had chicken pox when she was 20. Both recovered without issue. Measles has a devastating impact on malnourished, under developed countries where people do not have the vitamins necessary to process the disease.

SB 277 discriminates against children and denies their civil right to a public school education. This legislation ignores ramifications of excluding children from a public education classroom. What would the costs be to enforce current vaccination schedules, and what money will be lost in attendance while families choose to comply or withdraw? Certainly more money than I would like to see detract from educating our community of children. I am not prepared to realize the consequences of children denied a school-based education under our state Constitution.

It is shocking that legislation is proposed that will take away parents’ rights to make medical choices for their children rather than turn attention to the complicated nature of natural immunity, the effectiveness of our bodies design to fight disease, the ability of a virus and bacteria to evolve and become unresponsive to current vaccines, the true efficacy of vaccines, the responsibility of pharmaceutical companies that make them, and the over $3 billion paid to families of children with vaccine injuries.

I am For Medical Choice and I am For a Child’s Right to a Public Education. Hysteria has spread to taking away our right to advocate for our health by mandating vaccines and shielding drug companies and medical providers. SB 277 will compromise the health and education of our community rather than promote or ensure it.
    http://www.independent.com/news/2015...-doesnt-exist/

Lots of comments to read through as well.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This is what happens when you're not only too stupid to take care of yourself, but you imagine you're some sort of an all-seeing prophet and create a cult based on ignorance.

That op ed exemplifies exactly what is wrong with the anti-vaxxers and their imaginary world where diseases are safe but vacccines are not. There is no amount of evidence that will get them to change their minds, so now the government has stopped trying. The edict has now been passed down from the overlords that they shall be treated as unclean pariahs.

Thanks, idiots, for killing freedom as well as babies.

Herd mentality.

Culling the herds.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This is what happens when you're not only too stupid to take care of yourself, but you imagine you're some sort of an all-seeing prophet and create a cult based on ignorance.

That op ed exemplifies exactly what is wrong with the anti-vaxxers and their imaginary world where diseases are safe but vacccines are not. There is no amount of evidence that will get them to change their minds, so now the government has stopped trying. The edict has now been passed down from the overlords that they shall be treated as unclean pariahs.

The evidence you are referring to has shown to be fraudulent. I don't know why you expect people to believe fraudulent science that is being paid for by the same people who are given monopoly privilege of selling something and raking in billions of dollars.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The evidence you are referring to has shown to be fraudulent. I don't know why you expect people to believe fraudulent science that is being paid for by the same people who are given monopoly privilege of selling something and raking in billions of dollars.
    And the same people that are lobbying for government to mandate it. Sen. Richard Pan is a Merck recipient. He was also a Gardisil proponent. Somehow, in angelatc's mind, that equates to 'those damned anti-vaxxers' are at fault.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 06-10-2015 at 04:23 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    "SB277 is about freedom," said Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, one of the bill's authors. "Freedom from deadly, crippling contagions that are now preventable through the science of vaccination."
    What a cynical little prick, to use language in this fashion.

Beat him with an iron bar. Twice.

The sad thing is that the Kalifornians will simply line up like good little drones and do as commanded... most likely.

I wonder whether there is anything in the bill to address religious issues. When I began my graduate work in 1984 at CCNY, they would not allow me to register until I showed proof of vaccinations. I immediately expressed my "religious objection" to the requirement. They attempted to extract information, asking questions such as "what is your religion?" Being a little too cagey for those twits, I politely told them that it was irrelevant. They attempted awhile to convince me that I had no choice, but they were not tangling with your average bear. They finally relented and allowed me to register, after having me write out a statement declaring my objection, which I happily obliged. Never heard a peep from them thereafter. I see things as being potentially very different now, especially in steaming heaps like CA where rights are routinely ignored.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

CA is looking to join the amazing freedom available in TX, MS, and WV. Oh wait...
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Because accountants, which is what you are, are so knowledgeable about vaccine effectiveness. I love how you criticize others for being ignorant about something that you know nothing about. Your steadfast assuredness that you know the truth about vaccines with out a doubt is the height of ignorance.
    Last edited by roho76; 06-11-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Angela, how do your reconcile the fact that the human civilization has been around much longer than vaccines? Vaccines have only been around for a grain of sand in the timeline of human existence. Surely if the were necessary, we'd be dead by now.

Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

I live in California, have school age children, and am affected by SB277 as I have a personal/religious beliefs exemption to certain vaccines, on file with their school. With the new "common core" Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium education standards, and now this SB277, I will choose to homeschool if given this option. What isn't being as widely reported, is California is a compulsory education state. Anyone between 6 and 17 must be enrolled in either a public or private school. To home school, parents must register their home address as a private school with their child/children as the students of this private school. SB277 effects both public and private school students. As home schooled children are considered private school students, they are affected as well. I don't really care if others agree or disagree with my decisions regarding vaccines. Regardless of ones opinions of vaccines, it is an absolute undeniable truth, the Vaccine adverse event reporting system exists. The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program has paid over 3.1 billion dollars in vaccine injury compensation over the life of this program. Admittedly a minority, but some children have died as a direct result of these vaccines. Death is a potential side affect. To use the law to force a parent to inject a potentially deadly substance into their children, if it is against their will is both unethical and immoral. I will wait and see how it pans out, but before I take my children to be vaccinated, I will sell my real estate holdings and move away from this Peoples Republic of California.
    Last edited by Leaning Libertarian; 06-11-2015 at 04:23 AM.

Hold on a moment - by this reasoning, if you resist the tyrant you are guilty of killing freedom. How, exactly, is it that one is nurturing freedom by engaging in blind obedience? In this case, 2 + 2 are adding up to 5. Please elaborate.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Opposition:

Statement of Lawyers Opposed to California SB 277
    http://healthfreedomaction.org/lawye...fornia-sb-277/

Could Proposed Mandatory Vaccine Laws Survive Legal Challenges?
    http://vaccineimpact.com/2015/could-...al-challenges/

SB 277 will unleash "medical civil war" in California as parents demand doctors be arrested for felony assault
    http://www.naturalnews.com/049511_SB...l_assault.html

Lost Politics, Broken Laws; One Nation Under Vaccine Manufacturers
    http://www.activistpost.com/2015/04/...vist+Post%2529

Harvard-educated attorney and California native George Fatheree testified against SB277, and related the tragic story of how he and his wife listened to doctors’s advice and received the recommended childhood vaccines for their sick son, which resulted in him becoming severely disabled with constant seizures. Fearing that they may have a genetic pre-disposition for negative reactions to certain vaccines in their family, they exercised their legal parental right to opt out of vaccines for their next child, a daughter, who has received no vaccines, and is perfectly healthy today.

Attorney Fatheree practices educational law, and explained the legal problems with SB277 which would violate the civil rights of many students, particularly students with disabilities. Here is his testimony:
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This below Ted-Talks video outlines what is going on in California surrounding how SB 277 is being favorably manipulated:

Well that's one way to end contentious debate. <shrug>

Jan2017

Absolutely outrageous

It does not - at least on the surface - seem that this could be constitutional, imho.

This will have to be ultimately decided in the US Supreme Court I'd think - won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The evidence you are referring to has shown to be fraudulent.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    Angela, how do your reconcile the fact that the human civilization has been around much longer than vaccines? Vaccines have only been around for a grain of sand in the timeline of human existence. Surely if the were necessary, we'd be dead by now.
    The fact that our collective lifespans have literally tripled is lost on you, I see.

Strange bedfellows, anti-vaxxers rally for the right to be government educated, instead of being grateful that refusal to vaccinate their children gives them the freedom from goernment brainwashing.

Here's the best part : ANDREW WAKEFIELD SHOWED UP.

http://www.latimes.com/local/westsid...704-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Well that's one way to end contentious debate. <shrug>
    And that is exactly the way we predicted it would end. The anti-vaxxers were safe as long as they claimed religious exemptions. But when they started trying to pretend that there was a single shred of scientific data to support their decisions and even started darkly implying that vaccines were far more dangerous than the diseases they prevent, they changed the game.

We tried to warn them they were doing freedom more harm than good but alas - they pressed on.

CA joins MS and WV. Sad. I was hoping with all of the news, MS and WV would end their forced vaccination programs, not new states creating additional programs
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Regardless of the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of certain vaccines, you should not be required to vaccinate -- as it sets a precedent.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

The fact that our collective lifespans have literally tripled is lost on you, I see.
    Do you have any proof that increased human life expectancy is directly related to vaccines? Don't bother, because it can't be proven, just like the kops can't prove that seat belts save lives. I know for a fact that just washing your hands has done more for human life expectancy than any vaccine has.

NOBP ≠ ABO

Do you have any proof that increased human life expectancy is directly related to vaccines? Don't bother, because it can't be proven, just like the kops can't prove that seat belts save lives. I know for a fact that just washing your hands has done more for human life expectancy than any vaccine has.

Without a doubt clean hands between seeing patients has saved countless lives and is probably the biggest medical break thru in the past century. Also clean water and sanitation has played a major role in the health of Americans and Europeans.

And that is exactly the way we predicted it would end. The anti-vaxxers were safe as long as they claimed religious exemptions. But when they started trying to pretend that there was a single shred of scientific data to support their decisions and even started darkly implying that vaccines were far more dangerous than the diseases they prevent, they changed the game.

We tried to warn them they were doing freedom more harm than good but alas - they pressed on.
    I think "anti-vaxx" is an "intentionally misguided" label. I don't know anyone who is "anti-vaccine." Every individual labeled as "anti-vaxx," repeatedly displays concerns over the safety of vaccines. To deny some are seriously injured and / or killed as a direct result of vaccines is a losing position on any debate. The vaccine injury compensation program would not have paid over 3.1 Billion in compensation over the life of the program, if the product was truly "safe and effective" for everyone. This bill is highly contentious in the fact it does force a medical procedure, with known serious health risk, onto people; or they will instead lose their freedom to a "free appropriate public education," or even a paid private school education. I am not a scientist by any means. Many claim the science touted by the pharmaceutical industry is shrouded in fraud and conflicts of interest. Many claim the exact same about the science touted by the various "anti-vax" groups. but the one true fair and reasonable solution would be to completely remove the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Act of 1986, and transfer all pending and future cases to actual courts of law, as opposed to the current administrative hearing system, which shields manufacturers from any product liability what-so-ever. If the prevailing "science" shows vaccines to truly be "safe and effective," vaccine manufacturers would surely prevail in courts and any suit against them would be dismissed as frivolous. If the prevailing "science" shows they are not "safe and effective," vaccine manufacturers will have a compelling financial interest they become so post-haste. It seems quite disingenuous when the supreme court in upholding the vaccine injury compensation act of 1986 claimed liability on the part of taxpayers is necessary because vaccines are "unavoidably unsafe," yet they continue to vilify people concerned over vaccine safety claiming the science shows vaccines to be "safe and effective."

As a direct result of statements from the CDC Whistleblower, Dr. W. Thompson, Merck is in the middle of a fraud suit, claiming they flat out falsified efficacy data to show the vaccines to be effective, when in reality they may be shown to be less so than they report.

Perhaps like you, perhaps not, I watched the Senate Hearings on this bill. Dr. Richard Pan could not answer questions on the most basic of topics without his industry lobbyists in his ear. It was so bad it seemed comparative to them putting their hand up his butt as if he were a puppet. After 30+ minutes of pro SB277 testimony, and over 6 1/2 hours of anti SB277 testimony (with literally hundreds more turned away), the bill passed as expected. All I can say is at least Judas showed remorse for his actions, in he hanged himself. These politicians are the definition of evil. They enter politics as hundred or thousand-aires and leave as millionaires, as a direct result of bills like this.

The only bright sides are I have personally seen some "Democrats" decide to completely reevaluate their political party affiliation as a result, and with the advent of "common core," home-schooling is a growing trend anyway.
    Last edited by Leaning Libertarian; 07-06-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaning Libertarian View Post
    I think "anti-vaxx" is an "intentionally misguided" label. I don't know anyone who is "anti-vaccine." Every individual labeled as "anti-vaxx," repeatedly displays concerns over the safety of vaccines. To deny some are seriously injured and / or killed as a direct result of vaccines is a losing position on any debate. The vaccine injury compensation program would not have paid over 3.1 Billion in compensation over the life of the program, if the product was truly "safe and effective" for everyone. This bill is highly contentious in the fact it does force a medical procedure, with known serious health risk, onto people; or they will instead lose their freedom to a "free appropriate public education," or even a paid private school education. I am not a scientist by any means. Many claim the science touted by the pharmaceutical industry is shrouded in fraud and conflicts of interest. Many claim the exact same about the science touted by the various "anti-vax" groups. but the one true fair and reasonable solution would be to completely remove the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Act of 1986, and transfer all pending and future cases to actual courts of law, as opposed to the current administrative hearing system, which shields manufacturers from any product liability what-so-ever. If the prevailing "science" shows vaccines to truly be "safe and effective," vaccine manufacturers would surely prevail in courts and any suit against them would be dismissed as frivolous. If the prevailing "science" shows they are not "safe and effective," vaccine manufacturers will have a compelling financial interest they become so post-haste. It seems quite disingenuous when the supreme court in upholding the vaccine injury compensation act of 1986 claimed liability on the part of taxpayers is necessary because vaccines are "unavoidably unsafe," yet they continue to vilify people concerned over vaccine safety claiming the science shows vaccines to be "safe and effective."

As a direct result of statements from the CDC Whistleblower, Dr. W. Thompson, Merck is in the middle of a fraud suit, claiming they flat out falsified efficacy data to show the vaccines to be effective, when in reality they may be shown to be less so than they report.

Perhaps like you, perhaps not, I watched the Senate Hearings on this bill. Dr. Richard Pan could not answer questions on the most basic of topics without his industry lobbyists in his ear. It was so bad it seemed comparative to them putting their hand up his butt as if he were a puppet. After 30+ minutes of pro SB277 testimony, and over 6 1/2 hours of anti SB277 testimony (with literally hundreds more turned away), the bill passed as expected. All I can say is at least Judas showed remorse for his actions, in he hanged himself. These politicians are the definition of evil. They enter politics as hundred or thousand-aires and leave as millionaires, as a direct result of bills like this.

The only bright sides are I have personally seen some "Democrats" decide to completely reevaluate their political party affiliation as a result, and with the advent of "common core," home-schooling is a growing trend anyway.
    Well put, Sir.

NOBP ≠ ABO

Don't ask a question which you've already made up your mind on, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast