Thread: Ten Principles for Escaping the Matrix and Standing Up to Tyranny

Ten Principles for Escaping the Matrix and Standing Up to Tyranny

h/t LewRockwell.com: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/06/...ng-the-matrix/

Slave or Rebel? Ten Principles for Escaping the Matrix and Standing Up to Tyranny
    https://www.rutherford.org/publicati..._standing_up_1
    John W. Whitehead (08 June 2015)

“Until they become conscious, they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled, they cannot become conscious.”—George Orwell

[... full article at https://www.rutherford.org/publicati..._standing_up_1 ...]

[I]n order to develop a compliant citizenry, people must be forced to live in a mental matrix of words, ideas, ideologies, and teachings that are designed to make us conform. “As the Matrix in the movie was used to facilitate the exploitation of humans,” writes author Henry H. Lindner, “so the current ideological Matrix was created for, and serves to exploit us, turning us into unthinking workers and consumers—slaves of the ruling elite who themselves are trapped in the Matrix.” In fact, “few of us are able to escape the Matrix. We do not even know it exists.”

For there to be any hope of real change, you’ll have to change how you think about yourself, your fellow human beings, freedom, society, and the government. This means freeing your mind, realizing the truth, and unlearning all the myths you have been indoctrinated with since the day you were able to comprehend language.

The following principles, taken from my new book Battlefield America: The War on the American People, may help any budding freedom fighters in the struggle to liberate themselves and our society.

First, we must come to grips with the reality that the present system does not foster freedom. It denies freedom and must be altered. “Our authoritarian system is based on cruelty and control—it increasingly drives natural love and feelings from our society and produces violence and greed,” Lindner recognizes. “Our society is deteriorating morally and intellectually. This system cannot be reformed.”

To start with, we must recognize that the government’s primary purpose is maintaining power and control. It’s an oligarchy composed of corporate giants wedded to government officials who benefit from the relationship. In other words, it is motivated by greed and exists to perpetuate itself. As George Orwell writes:

We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship. . . .. The object of power is power.

Second, voting is practically worthless. “In principle, it is a great privilege,” Aldous Huxley recognized. “In practice, as recent history has repeatedly shown, the right to vote, by itself, is no guarantee of liberty.”

We live in a secretive surveillance state that has virtually no accountability, transparency, or checks and balances of any kind. As Jordan Michael Smith, writing for the Boston Globe, concludes about the American government:

There’s the one we elect, and then there’s the one behind it, steering huge swaths of policy almost unchecked. Elected officials end up serving as mere cover for the real decisions made by the bureaucracy.

How many times have the various politicians, when running for office, lied about all they were going to do to bring hope and change to America? Once they get elected, what do they do? They do whatever the corporate powers want. Yes, the old boss is the same as the new boss. The maxim: power follows money.

Moreover, voting is a way to keep the citizenry pacified. However, many Americans intuitively recognize that something is wrong with the way the electoral process works and have withdrawn from the process. That’s why the government places so much emphasis on the reassurance ritual of voting. It provides the illusion of participation.

Third
    , question everything. Don’t assume anything government does is for the good of the citizenry. Again, that is not the purpose of modern government. It exists to perpetuate a regime. Remember the words of James Madison, considered the father of the U.S. Constitution: “All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree.” Power corrupts. And as the maxim goes, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Fourth, materialism is a death knell to freedom. While it may be true that Americans are better off than citizens of other nations—we have jobs, food, entertainment, shopping malls, etc.—these are the trappings meant to anesthetize and distract us.

Like the dodo, any “bird that has learned how to grub up a good living without being compelled to use its wings will soon renounce the privilege of flight and remain forever grounded,” Huxley warned. “Same thing is true of human beings. If bread is supplied regularly and capaciously three times a day, many of them will be perfectly content to live by bread alone—or at least by bread and circuses alone.” Free as a bird, some say, but only if you’re willing to free your mind and sacrifice all for a dangerous concept—freedom.

In other words, the hope is that the cry of “‘give me television and hamburgers, but don’t bother me with the responsibilities of liberty,’ may give place, under altered circumstances, to the cry of ‘give me liberty or give me death.’” This is indeed dangerous freedom.

Fifth, there is little hope for any true resistance if you are mindlessly connected to the electronic concentration camp. Remember, what you’re being electronically fed by those in power is meant to pacify, distract, and control you. You can avoid mind manipulations to a large degree by greatly limiting your reliance on electronic devices—cell phones, laptops, televisions, and so on.

Sixth, an armed revolt will not work. Although we may have returned to a 1776 situation where we need to take drastic actions to restore freedom, this is not colonial America with its muskets and people’s armies. Local police departments have enough militarized firepower to do away with even a large-scale armed revolt. Even attempting to repel a SWAT team raid on your home is futile. You’ll get blown away.

Seventh, be wise and realize that there is power in numbers. Networks, coalitions, and movements can accomplish much—especially if their objectives are focused and practical—and they are very much feared by government authorities. That’s why the government is armed to the teeth and prepared to put down even small nonviolent protests.

Eighth, act locally but think nationally. The greatest impact can be had at local governing bodies such as city councils. Join together with friends and neighbors and start a Civil Liberties Oversight Committee. Regularly attend council meetings and demand that government corruption be brought under control and that police activities be brought under the scrutiny of local governing bodies and, thus, the citizenry.

In Albuquerque, New Mexico, for example, police were involved in 39 shootings dating back to 2010. After a 2014 police shooting of an unarmed homeless man camped out in a public park, residents engaged in nonviolent acts of civil disobedience to disrupt the normal functioning of the city government and demand that the police department be brought under control. Community activists actually went so far as to storm a city council meeting and announce that they would be performing a citizens’ arrest of the police chief, charging him with “harboring fugitives from justice at the Albuquerque police department” and “crimes against humanity.”

In Davis County, California, in August 2014, after a public uproar over the growing militarization of local police, council members ordered the police to find a way of getting rid of the department’s newly acquired MRAP tank. One man at the council meeting was quoted as saying: “I would like to say I do not suggest you take this vehicle and send it out of Davis, I demand it.”

Ninth, local towns, cities and states can nullify or say “no” to federal laws that violate the rights and freedoms of the citizenry. In fact, several states have passed laws stating that they will not comply with the National Defense Authorization Act which allows for the military to indefinitely detain (imprison) American citizens. Again, when and if you see such federal laws passed, gather your coalition of citizens and demand that your local town council nullify such laws. If enough towns and cities across the country would speak truth to power in this way, we might see some positive movement from the federal governmental machine.

Tenth, understand what freedom is all about. “Who were the first persons to get the unusual idea that being free was not only a value to be cherished but the most important thing that someone can possess?” asks Professor Orlando Patterson. “The answer in a word: slaves.”

Freedom arose from the hearts and minds of those who realized that they were slaves. It became a primary passion of those who were victims of slavery.

Some Americans are beginning to realize that they are slaves and that if they don’t act soon, they will find themselves imprisoned in the electronic concentration camp indefinitely. Mind you, there may not be any chains hanging from the dungeon walls, but it is a prison nonetheless, and we are, without a doubt, inmates serving life sentences.

[... full article at https://www.rutherford.org/publicati..._standing_up_1 ...]
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice list. Here are a few of my favorite tips for escaping the matrix and standing up to tyranny.

You see the beauty of my proposal is
    it needn’t wait on general revolution.
    I bid you to the one-man revolution —
    The only revolution that is coming.

—Robert Frost
    David Gross | The one-man revolution (the only one that’s coming)
    http://moonmagazine.org/david-gross-...ng-2014-11-30/

I'm in rep debt to the Banana.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

+rep to the Banana.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Step #1) Take the red pill.

Great piece for the most part, but with this I disagree:

Sixth, an armed revolt will not work. Although we may have returned to a 1776 situation where we need to take drastic actions to restore freedom, this is not colonial America with its muskets and people’s armies. Local police departments have enough militarized firepower to do away with even a large-scale armed revolt. Even attempting to repel a SWAT team raid on your home is futile. You’ll get blown away.
    The system is powerful and likes to scare and intimidate with tanks, and guns, and ninja-esque hardcases hut hutting about, but mostly, it's a paper tiger.

"You must spread Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again."

Great article!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

The system is powerful and likes to scare and intimidate with tanks, and guns, and ninja-esque hardcases hut hutting about, but mostly, it's a paper tiger.
    Simply exposing the individual members of the system will go a long way toward calling its bluff.......

Names, addresses and public affiliations (just like they compile on us) would bring all the BS to a head...

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    "You must spread Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again."

Great article!
    Covered for you. Now help me out please....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Simply exposing the individual members of the system will go a long way toward calling its bluff.......

Names, addresses and public affiliations (just like they compile on us) would bring all the BS to a head...
    Yup, that it would.

You are not likely to tyrannize a whole community, when everybody knows where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.
    Thank you, Phill. I wish I could help, but I am all out of rep.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Using the system against the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Step #1) Take the red pill.
    YEP.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Covered.

I also disagree with point #6. Although non-violent revolution & political separation through active non-compliance is both possible (see the Baltic states with respect to the Soviet Union, for just one example) and very much preferable, armed revolt is nevertheless NOT an "automatic loser" (although it certainly comes with some risk of "going sour" and putting you in a place that is even worse than where you started).

I just don't buy the "rock breaks scissors" argument (a.k.a., "the guy with the bigger guns always wins").

On the "micro" scale of things like SWAT raids on individual homes, the balance is so heavily in favor of the State that armed resistance on that level is indeed almost certainly doomed. But on the "macro" scale of any discontent sufficiently general or widespread to produce armed action (or the threat of such) against "the powers that be," there are very different dynamics in play.

The application of force is not costless - and dollars are not the only measure of cost. All governments must have at least the passive consent of some minimum number of people in order to remain viable & effective. Using its "bigger guns" to deal with a significant number of non-compliant and (as yet) non-violent people can seriously degrade & erode that passive consent. (This is precisely why the folks at the Bundy Ranch were able to "stare down" the Feds, even though they were heavily out-gunned.)

The use of "bigger guns" - such tanks and F-16s and what-have-you (and the "collateral damage" inherent in their use) - may be "fine" when applied to people and places on the other side of the globe. But if they are are ever used on Main Street USA (as opposed, say, to "child-molesting cultists" holed-up in some "compound"), then (just like on the other side of the globe) a great many "hearts and minds" are going to be lost - quite possibly too many for the status quo ante to survive ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 06-09-2015 at 03:26 PM.

/random

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The use of "bigger guns" - such tanks and F-16s and what-have-you (and the "collateral damage" inherent in their use) - may be "fine" when applied to people and places on the other side of the globe. But if they are are ever used on Main Street USA (as opposed, say, to "child-molesting cultists" holed-up in some "compound"), then (just like on the other side of the globe) a great many "hearts and minds" are going to be lost - quite possibly too many for the status quo ante to survive ...
    This is where the MSM comes into play, demonizing the "bad-guy" and glorifying the government........

This is where the MSM comes into play, demonizing the "bad-guy" and glorifying the government........
    OMG! Thugs! Gangs! Cultists! Extremists!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    OMG! Thugs! Gangs! Cultists! Extremists!
    CNN is hiring.........

Exactly.

And that is where the Internet comes into play.

Pravda ... excuse me, I mean The New York Times ... ain't what it used to be ...

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Exactly.

And that is where the Internet comes into play.

Pravda ... excuse me, I mean The New York Times ... ain't what it used to be ...
    And now, five years later, neither is the 'net.

But the tyrants are pushing the envelope to the breaking point. They're doing a good job demonizing this virus, but it isn't living up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And now, five years later, neither is the 'net.

But the tyrants are pushing the envelope to the breaking point. They're doing a good job demonizing this virus, but it isn't living up to the hype.
    I am really hoping that backfires spectacularly..

sadly,, I am concerned that hope is unlikely..and the masses will welcome a new world order.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I am really hoping that backfires spectacularly..

sadly,, I am concerned that hope is unlikely..and the masses will welcome a new world order.
    That's why this virus suits their agenda. When it proves to be a paper tiger, they'll just claim destroying the economy saved us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

That's why this virus suits their agenda. When it proves to be a paper tiger, they'll just claim destroying the economy saved us all.

"Saved us all" except for those poor unfortunates who became unhinged and had to be sent away for "re-education."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "Saved us all" except for those poor unfortunates who became unhinged and had to be sent away for "re-education."
    Hey. If they're still breathing, politicians will claim credit for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Hey. If they're still breathing, politicians will claim credit for it.

What ever would we do without them?

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Chain Yanking 101

It also provides them with valuable data concerning how high people are willing to jump whenever they shout "frog" ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-03-2020 at 05:03 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·