Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Counted: People killed by police in the US

The Counted: People killed by police in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Awesome link, thanks Suz.

I'm outta bullets, someone rep The Animal for me.

Here's a link if you want to help them keep up with the police killings.

Help us document every police killing in America

The US government has no comprehensive record of the number of people killed by law enforcement.

So the Guardian has embarked on a special project – to work from an inaccurate standard toward a more perfect accounting, and tell the stories of people killed by police. But we need your help.

Do you have information about an officer-involved death that the public deserves to know? This is the place to share the truth about police killings. Send us your tips, images, video and more – and we’ll use it in our reporting.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...-killings-tips
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

In scrolling through many of these cases, you can see the justifiable ones (at least if the cop's account is correct), the questionable ones, and the ones that are, frankly, murder by cop, which makes this one of the best databases I've seen so far.

Of course, it takes foreign press to do it.

Our internal Pravda Press won't touch it, outside of alternative press, blogs and, yes, even hell raising on sites just like this, by posters just like all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I'd be glad to cover you, but I'm out too.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Got ya covered.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Done!

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Awesome resource!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

thoughts on habit of bumping with latest killed-by-cop?

Mother of Hackensack man slain by cops called 911 for help: 'I never thought they would kill my son'

Friday, June 12, 2015, 1:48 PM
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/moth...-son-1.1355094

Raymond Peralta-Lantigua was fatally shot by an officer after he wouldn't drop a knife he held in his hand
    Last edited by presence; 06-12-2015 at 12:51 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I wonder if the 9 bikers (and 18 wounded) are counted in this.

several weeks and no accounting of bullets yet.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I wonder if the 9 bikers (and 18 wounded) are counted in this.

several weeks and no accounting of bullets yet.
    Doesn't appear so, Pete. I filtered by state and they're not showing those killings.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Doesn't appear so, Pete. I filtered by state and they're not showing those killings.
    They aren't admitting to it yet.
    They will have to eventually.. when trials start.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

This should be a sticky right at the top of this forum.

geezus...it was just a few weeks ago that i was commenting about the count becoming 420...almost 520 already...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again.
    Covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

This should be a sticky right at the top of this forum.
    Thanks mods.

Another back up source:

http://killedbypolice.net/

saw this on reddit front page today

We’re the Guardian reporters behind The Counted, a project to chronicle every person killed by police in the US. We're here to answer your questions about police and social justice in America. AUA.

submitted 13 hours ago * by guardianjonJON SWAINE

Hello,

We’re Jon Swaine, Oliver Laughland, and Jamiles Lartey, reporters for The Guardian covering policing and social justice.

A couple months ago, we launched a project called The Counted (http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...gs-us-database) to chronicle every person killed by police in the US in 2015 – with the internet’s help. Since the death of Mike Brown in Ferguson, MO nearly a year ago— it’s become abundantly clear that the data kept by the federal government on police killings is inadequate. This project is intended to help fill some of that void, and give people a transparent and comprehensive database for looking at the issue of fatal police violence.

The Counted has just reached its halfway point. By our count the number of people killed by police in the US this has reached 545 as of June 29, 2015 and is on track to hit 1,100 by year’s end. Here’s some of what we’ve learned so far: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...lack-americans

You can read some more of our work for The Counted here: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/s...olice-killings

And if you want to help us keep count, send tips about police killings in 2015 to http://www.theguardian.com/thecounted/tips, follow on Twitter @TheCounted, or join the Facebook community www.facebook.com/TheCounted.

We are here to answer your questions about policing and police killings in America, social justice and The Counted project. Ask away.

UPDATE at 11.32am: Thank you so much for all your questions. We really enjoyed discussing this with you. This is all the time we have at the moment but we will try to return later today to tackle some more of your questions.

UPDATE 2 at 11.43: OK, there are actually more questions piling up, so we are jumping back on in shifts to continue the discussion. Keep the questions coming.

UPDATE 3 at 1.41pm We have to wrap up now. Thanks again for all your questions and comments.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...the_counted_a/

LibForestPaul

Thank God. At least my tax dollars wont go to supporting these thugs in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Thank God. At least my tax dollars wont go to supporting these thugs in prison.
    Instead "your tax-dollars" will provide more guns and ammunition to the kops, new suits and "performance bonuses"(ie; expense accts) to DA's, 6 figure salaries to judges and more MRAP's for the heroes to drive around in.....

Looks like the WaPo is counting, too.

At least 95 people have been shot and killed by police across the United States within the past 30 days, according to Washington Post data. This data will be regularly updated with new shootings and details. Send tips and information to The Post.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphi...ngs/?tid=sm_tw

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great link, Suz, and commendable work by the Guardian.

Looks like WaPo only updates at the end of the month. Guardian keeps daily track, the latest being early this morning in which a troubled young man was on an overpass when they shot him in the leg causing him to fall to his death. There have been at least two more today since that incident.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

FBI to report on officer-involved shootings as overall crime rate drops

The FBI will begin tracking information on officer-involved shootings for its annual crime report. However, relevant data will continue to be submitted by law enforcement agencies on a voluntary basis, leading critics to call the upcoming data unreliable.

“[T]o address the ongoing debate about the appropriate use of force by law enforcement, we plan to collect more data about shootings (fatal and nonfatal) between law enforcement and civilians, and to increase reporting overall,” FBI Director James Comey said in a message introducing the 2014 Crime in the United States report.

The report comprises statistics and information provided by law enforcement agencies to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program. It measures the nation’s crime problem. Currently the program only collects data on the number of justifiable homicides reported by police as well as information about the felonious killing and assault of law enforcement officers.

“As helpful as this information is, however, we need more law enforcement agencies to submit their justifiable homicide data so that we can better understand what is happening across the country,” Comey said. The data will still be collected voluntarily, though, meaning that the FBI will not create a mandatory reporting system for officer-involved shootings.

Once the FBI begins collecting the expanded data, UCR plans to add a special publication that will focus on law enforcement’s use of force in shooting incidents, the agency said. The secondary report will outline facts detailing what happened, who was involved, whether there were injuries or deaths, and the circumstances surrounding each incident.

“We hope this information will become part of a balanced dialogue in communities and in the media ‒ a dialogue that will help to dispel misperceptions, foster accountability, and promote transparency in how law enforcement personnel relate to the communities they serve.” Comey said.

Laurie Robinson, co-chair of President Barack Obama’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing, described the current data as flawed and unreliable because of changes law enforcement agencies have made since national attention turned to the issue after a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri shot and killed an unarmed black teenager in August 2014.

“There is a lag in the reporting of the data. The public and professional consciousness on these issues really has occurred in 2015, even though Ferguson occurred in 2014,” she told the Guardian. “So I’m not sure that one would expect there would be a dramatic change in behaviour in law enforcement in the last couple of months in 2014.”

http://www.rt.com/usa/316964-fbi-officer-shooting-data/

Harvard Medical Scientists Say Police Killings Should Be Recorded As Public Epidemic

As there are no official numbers, the best available data comes from independent news agencies like the Guardian (UK), who reported that 1,058 Americans have been killed by police in 2015. For African Americans, the number of law enforcement-related deaths per capita is twice as high as it is in the white population.

Their project, “The Counted” also indicates that US civilians are killed by police at an average of about three times a day. It includes cases of police who kill armed suspects, which many vocal police supporters consider justified without carefully examining the situation.

The Summary Points of the proposal from Harvard outline both the problem and a solution:

During the past year, the United States has experienced major controversies—and civil unrest—regarding the endemic problem of police violence and police deaths.

Although deaths of police officers are well documented, no reliable official US data exist on the number of persons killed by the police, in part because of long-standing and well-documented resistance of police departments to making these data public.

These deaths, however, are countable, as evidenced by “The Counted,” which revealed that over 500 people in the US had been killed by the police between January 1 and June 9, 2015, twice what would be expected based on estimates from the US Federal Bureau of Intelligence (FBI).

Law-enforcement–related deaths, of both persons killed by law enforcement agents and also law enforcement agents killed in the line of duty, are a public health concern, not solely a criminal justice concern, since these events involve mortality and affect the well-being of the families and communities of the deceased; therefore, law-enforcement–related deaths are public health data, not solely criminal justice data.

We propose that law-enforcement–related deaths be treated as a notifiable condition, which would allow public health departments to report these data in real-time, at the local as well as national level, thereby providing data needed to understand and prevent the problem.

Making police killings a notifiable condition would require Police Departments to report each killing to their corresponding Public Health Department. Medical and public health professionals would then report law-enforcement related deaths in real time.

Researchers say this is critical for the well being of the public, and that since efforts over the past century have been unsuccessful, it is imperative that the government treat law-enforcement related deaths as reportable conditions.

They even mention how absurd it is that in the US, we have to rely on a UK newspaper to count the number of people being killed by police. The US public health system already reports numerous notifiable diseases nationally and in real time.

Predictably, police organizations attacked the idea with typical rhetoric. Common Health reports that Bill Johnson, the executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said he thinks it’s “misguided” and added, “The best way to reduce the number of deaths by police is to follow the instructions of the officer in any kind of confrontation. I don’t have a lot of hope that academics from Harvard would publicize that as an easy and quick way to reduce deaths by police.” Stop resisting.

Of course the Public Health Department’s counting of law enforcement related deaths would be separate from any investigation. All that is being proposed is an official count, something that the public can rely upon to get real-time alerts about police killings.

The proposal mentions US Attorney General Loretta Lynch’s statement that the DOJ will begin piloting its own system based on “The Counted” to keep track of “officer-related deaths,” and then “move towards verifying facts about the incident by surveying local police departments, medical examiner’s offices, and investigative offices.”

Researchers write that this underlines the need for a public health approach. A credible source of data and verification is all the more important if the proposed DOJ pilot is successful, and continues through the next 2016 election.

Law enforcement agencies have failed to properly report police killings for an entire century, so why should the public trust them to do it now?
    http://usuncut.com/black-lives-matte...blic-epidemic/

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Here's a link if you want to help them keep up with the police killings.
    Don't you mean officer involved shootings?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Breakdown Of US Citizens Killed By Cops In 2016
    In the U.S. a total of 509 citizens have been killed this year alone by police. The body count for the previous year stands at a grand total of 990 people shot dead, according to the Washington Post. As the below infographic from Statista shows, most of those killed by police are male and white. 123 of those shot were Black Americans. This is a relatively high share, keeping in mind that close to 13 percent of Americans belong to that ethnic group.

You will find more statistics at Statista

What’s also disturbing is that according to the data compiled by the Washington Post a big proportion of those killed obviously showed signs of mental illness. Of the 509 killed this year at least 124 were thought to be suffering from such conditions.

Many of those killed carried guns according to police records. In at least 22 cases officers mistook toy guns for the real thing.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...lled-cops-2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast