Thread: Cato: Rating GOP Candidates on Taxes

Cato: Rating GOP Candidates on Taxes

Anyone know what he proposes to cut?

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...ntenders-taxes

Rand Paul posted a detailed plan on his campaign website a couple of months ago, but he has since taken it down amid reports that he is revising it to lower rates even further. As originally posted, Paul’s plan would establish a 17 percent flat tax; however, he is reportedly working with Stephen Moore of the Heritage Foundation and others to bring that rate down to as low as 13 or 14 percent. The plan would also include a personal exemption, unlike most flat-tax plans, thereby lowering the effective tax rate still further. The size of the exemption was not spelled out, but according to some reports it could be as much as 20 percent. Capital gains, interest, and dividends would all be untaxed. The estate, gift, and alternative minimum taxes would all be eliminated. Paul also plans a payroll-tax exemption for low- and middle-income earners, though he has not provided details, and such a cut could complicate financing for Social Security. And Paul also proposes even larger tax cuts for high-poverty areas. Paul himself estimates that his plan would reduce revenue by about $700 billion per year, though he intends to propose spending cuts to offset the loss. Paul’s foreign policy came under attack recently as “Barack Obama’s third term,” but he certainly isn’t pursuing Obama’s tax policies.
    In 200 years the American people have replaced 1 dictator 3,000 miles away with 3,000 dictators 1 mile away.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.--Benjamin Franklin

No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe
    while our legislature is in session
    .--Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tax plan sounds like nothing but red meat for the base. No chance in hell anything even close to that will pass
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Tax plan sounds like nothing but red meat for the base. No chance in hell anything even close to that will pass
    One would hope he could get a massive tax cut and spending cut passed if he becomes Pres.
    In 200 years the American people have replaced 1 dictator 3,000 miles away with 3,000 dictators 1 mile away.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.--Benjamin Franklin

.--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by lx43 View Post
    One would hope he could get a massive tax cut and spending cut passed if he becomes Pres.
    I would focus on the spending cut not the tax cut. Spending is the same thing as future taxes.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I would focus on the spending cut not the tax cut. Spending is the same thing as future taxes.
    Me too. Focusing on tax cuts will help Rand in the primary, but if he actually became President I would much rather have him focus on cutting spending than on cutting taxes.

Agreed that why I said in my OP "anyone know what he proposes to cut?"

.--Benjamin Franklin

He has talked about wasteful pork, foreign aid, and about eliminating entire departments (education, commerce), which can be quite popular with the base. But with spending cuts as well it will be hard to get him to say much about cuts that are actually meaningful in terms of $$$ saved. And right now the only cuts that can be meaningful are social security, medicare, and defense. Rand supports an audit of the Pentagon which could lead to defense cuts. Social security and Medicare though are the other giant elephants in the room. The over-40 generation thinks they are entitled to receive all of the money they already paid into the system even though the younger generation will only see pennies on the dollars that they paid in because of the government's fiscal irresponsibility. It will be quite the political feat if Rand can make America swallow the bad news and change the system.

Life, Liberty, Logic

This outlines what he has proposed and had voted on the past. http://crfb.org/blogs/sen-rand-paul-...-spending-cuts

Spending is what matters. Supply side economics is just warmed over Keynesianism as Ron Paul said. Cutting tax rates was the right policy in 1982 to improve incentives. It is not a huge deal now. I wish Rand would not listen to people like Steve Moore.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    This outlines what he has proposed and had voted on the past. http://crfb.org/blogs/sen-rand-paul-...-spending-cuts

Spending is what matters. Supply side economics is just warmed over Keynesianism as Ron Paul said. Cutting tax rates was the right policy in 1982 to improve incentives. It is not a huge deal now. I wish Rand would not listen to people like Steve Moore.
    It helps refute the ridiculous nonsense about Rand being "Obama's third term" or whatever. But like I said, I hope that Rand forgets about this and focuses on cutting spending if he becomes President. Even Ron's budget that he introduced that cut a trillion dollars in one year left the tax rates where they're at right now.

Several departments from what he has said ....

I think those are brought into existence by the executive branch. I would think he can reduce departments without needing congress to go along. Reminds me of the Big Dogs Ron Paul ad. "That's how Ron Paul rolls."

Anyone know what he proposes to cut?

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...ntenders-taxes

Rand Paul posted a detailed plan on his campaign website a couple of months ago, but he has since taken it down amid reports that he is revising it to lower rates even further. As originally posted, Paul’s plan would establish a 17 percent flat tax; however, he is reportedly working with Stephen Moore of the Heritage Foundation and others to bring that rate down to as low as 13 or 14 percent. The plan would also include a personal exemption, unlike most flat-tax plans, thereby lowering the effective tax rate still further. The size of the exemption was not spelled out, but according to some reports it could be as much as 20 percent. Capital gains, interest, and dividends would all be untaxed. The estate, gift, and alternative minimum taxes would all be eliminated. Paul also plans a payroll-tax exemption for low- and middle-income earners, though he has not provided details, and such a cut could complicate financing for Social Security. And Paul also proposes even larger tax cuts for high-poverty areas. Paul himself estimates that his plan would reduce revenue by about $700 billion per year, though he intends to propose spending cuts to offset the loss. Paul’s foreign policy came under attack recently as “Barack Obama’s third term,” but he certainly isn’t pursuing Obama’s tax policies.

America, you have already spent your tax cuts. What do you think that debt is??!
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care