Thread: Video - Sen. Rand Paul speaks at Simmons College (2013)

Video - Sen. Rand Paul speaks at Simmons College (2013)

http://archive.courier-journal.com/V...immons-College

[mod note: this is from Rand's April 2013 appearance at Simmons College]
    Last edited by jct74; 06-06-2015 at 09:25 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He did a great job presenting his stance on the CRA, the clip ended and I'm not sure if he stopped talking about it at that point or what.. But I sorta continued the conversation in my head and I think it might have been pretty funny if he said, "I find it despicable that a restaurant would discriminate based on race, and I would certainly never give them any of my business... Although I might phone in a fake to-go order.."

Might get him some laughs
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

More eye contact, less looking down. Honestly I would not find this reassuring of Rand if I were predisposed to be distrustful.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    He did a great job presenting his stance on the CRA, the clip ended and I'm not sure if he stopped talking about it at that point or what.. But I sorta continued the conversation in my head and I think it might have been pretty funny if he said, "I find it despicable that a restaurant would discriminate based on race, and I would certainly never give them any of my business... Although I might phone in a fake to-go order.."

Might get him some laughs
    I thought he did pretty poor on the subject. He mentioned the Interstate Commerce Clause in a vague way 3 times. I don't even know what the ICC is and I'm a regular lurker here for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCifelli1 View Post
    I thought he did pretty poor on the subject. He mentioned the Interstate Commerce Clause in a vague way 3 times. I don't even know what the ICC is and I'm a regular lurker here for 4 years.
    The ICC was meant to enable free trade among the states.

Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    The ICC was meant to enable free trade among the states.
    John, we talk about the ICC all the time here. It's in the Constitution. It was meant, as mit26chell said, to enable free trade among the states but particularly since the Civil Rights Act has been used by the feds as an excuse to regulate commerce within the states. So the War on Drugs, Rand is arguing, was actually enabled ironically by the Civil Rights Act. That is why his explanation was so genius.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That is why his explanation was so genius.
    and how many from the audience did get it ?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    and how many from the audience did get it ?
    I just saw this now, I wonder how I would've reacted to it in 2013......
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.