Thread: Yellen: Fed won't comply with House subpoena yet

Yellen: Fed won't comply with House subpoena yet

Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen told lawmakers Friday that the central bank will not fully comply with a congressional subpoena, saying it could jeopardize an ongoing criminal probe into a leak of sensitive information.

Yellen told House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) that the Fed’s inspector general, as well as the Justice Department, told her that responding to his panel’s “extremely broad” legal demand for documents could get in the way of their own investigations.

According to the Fed’s internal watchdog, “providing access at this time to these records and information would risk jeopardizing its investigation,” wrote Yellen.
    “The Federal Reserve is mindful that we must not impede that open criminal investigation,” she added.

Yellen included in her letter a memo from the Fed's Inspector General, which warned that handing over records would pose a "significant risk" to its probe, and asking the Fed to hold off on doing so until its work is completed.

The Fed and Justice Department are currently probing how an investment advisory firm was able to detail for clients discussions at a private 2012 meeting one day before the meeting minutes were made public.

Yellen promised that the Fed will ultimately comply with Hensarling’s demands but only after the criminal investigation is complete. But that rationale is unlikely to sway Hensarling, who has long griped that the Fed has been slow to respond to questions about how the leak at the usually secretive Fed occurred.

A Financial Services Committee staffer called the Fed's resistance "unacceptable and disturbing."

"The Fed once again is acting in a manner that can only be characterized as resistant to accountability, transparency and oversight," the staffer said.

In May, Hensarling’s panel voted to subpoena the Fed for documents surrounding the meeting in question, arguing the central bank had not provided any “legally justifiable reason” for refusing.

In 2012, the firm Medley Global Advisors provided for clients a detailed rundown of Fed deliberations at a private meeting one day before the Fed released the minutes of that meeting.

Any and all deliberations by the central bank are hugely important to financial markets, so any advance notice of Fed thinking could give traders a significant edge.
    http://thehill.com/policy/finance/24...e-subpoena-yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Yes, and if the IRS or any other b want's my stuff, I'm currently investigating it myself, so there!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen told lawmakers Friday that the central bank will not fully comply with a congressional subpoena, saying it could jeopardize an ongoing criminal probe into a leak of sensitive information., "Go $#@! yourselves."
    Fixed that for them. (LMAO once again @ Congressional "oversight" ...)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Hensarling accuses Fed of 'willful obstruction' in leak probe
    Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) is accusing the Federal Reserve of “willful obstruction” of his investigation into a 2012 leak of sensitive Fed materials.

Hensarling, the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, on Wednesday said the central bank has no legal grounds for refusing to comply with his panel’s subpoena, and questioned whether the Fed and Justice Department launched an inquiry into the matter specifically to stymie his investigation.

In a letter sent to Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen, Hensarling and Rep. Sean Duffy (R-Wis.) accused the bank of failing to properly investigate how investment advisers obtained information about Fed proceedings before it was made public.

According to Hensarling, the Fed’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) only ramped up its probe after lawmakers began asking about that case. At that point, the central bank said it could not hand over documents, lest it compromise its investigation.

"Following the committee's request for records ... the OIG suddenly 'reopened' its case," Hensarling wrote. "Other than this committee's request for records, what new facts suddenly came to the OIG's attention that would warrant 'reopening' a long-closed case?"

The OIG and the Justice Department are both investigating how the advisory firm Medley Global was able to detail for clients what Fed officials discussed in a private meeting, one day before the minutes of that meeting were made public.

Hensarling’s panel has attempted to dig into the matter, and went so far as to subpoena the Fed in May to compel it to produce documents. But Yellen told Hensarling the Fed would not comply with the subpoena immediately, citing the ongoing investigations.

The fact that the Fed's inspector general briefly examined the matter years ago, and only reopened the investigation after lawmakers began making inquiries, has made Hensarling suspicious. He accused the Fed of “vigorous and coordinated obstruction.”

“One plausible scenario is that the OIG merely ‘reopened’ the investigation to delay complying with the Committee’s requests,” he wrote. “That too is now the subject of the Committee’s investigation.”

But regardless of how and when other Fed investigations began, Hensarling insisted Congress has a right to the documents.

Saying his panel has the “absolute right” to requested records, the Financial Services chairman dismissed claims from the Fed’s inspector general that executive privilege allows it to not comply.

Hensarling said executive privilege can only be invoked against Congress by specific presidential request — and one has not been produced in this matter.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/24...-in-leak-probe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Why no SWAT raids?

Sorry, you can't arrest me. It could jeopardize my own internal investigation. You guys go back to the police station and I'll call you.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

I sure am thankful I have a government that polices itself. Could you imagine the alternative?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Hensarling accuses Fed of 'willful obstruction' in leak probe

“One plausible scenario is that the OIG merely ‘reopened’ the investigation to delay complying with the Committee’s requests,” [Hensarling] wrote. “That too is now the subject of the Committee’s investigation.”
    Hensarling should subpoea the OIG ...

The ones who don't want to tell the truth have something to hide right
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Fixed that for them. (LMAO once again @ Congressional "oversight" ...)
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    Sorry, you can't arrest me. It could jeopardize my own internal investigation. You guys go back to the police station and I'll call you.
    Uh, yeah, this seems surreal to me. How does Yellen get to tell Congress when she will comply with their orders and when she will not? Isn't the Fed directly answerable to Congress? They should simply jail her fat ass (can they do that? Or can they only impeach her?).
    Last edited by anaconda; 06-18-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    The ones who don't want to tell the truth have something to hide right
    It's irrelevant here. Congress ordered her to comply and she refused. Illegally so I suspect. But the Congress is bought-and-paid-for by the bankers so nothing is enforceable.

One day after a congressional request, a part of government is going to say, "Alright here you go..."
    At that point, I'm going to assume it's some kind of a conspiracy and my head will likely explode.

Let's just hope that the fed doesn't have their computers crash (and happen to delete all backups!)
    Libertarian Money
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Follow that link for over 100 articles on liberty, decentralization, and money.

Send out the CONgressional police force. GRRR!

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.
    Yeah, I'm out also.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertarianMoney View Post
    Let's just hope that the fed doesn't have their computers crash (and happen to delete all backups!)
    Well, that would certainly undo all of this 'quantitative easing' and restore considerable value to the few remaining (paper) dollars.

We like to differentiate between money with intrinsic value and money without it. Interesting to think about how much the value of physical paper fiat could spike after the EMP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Today on Kabuki Oversight Theater ...

Rep. Sean Duffy, R-Wis., lashed out at Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen on Wednesday [15 July 2015], accusing her and the Fed of willfully hiding documents that have been subpoenaed for an ongoing congressional leak probe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogL0YGvyyk
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-15-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Looks like this guy did his homework and is channeling the Donald

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If only these guys could bust into the hearing...

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    It's irrelevant here. Congress ordered her to comply and she refused. Illegally so I suspect. But the Congress is bought-and-paid-for by the bankers so nothing is enforceable.
    Only "the rightful masters of the congress and the courts" can save it now. But they are infiltrated by covert groups pretending to be "concerned" Americans.

However when it comes right down to it they show themselves to only be "concerned" with preventing the unity "the rightful masters" need to assert themselves.
    Last edited by Christopher A. Brown; 07-15-2015 at 11:38 PM.

I wonder what happened to Christopher A. Brown? Cognitive infiltrating somewhere else I guess.

We know who runs Barter Town Janet, you GILFY thang.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by openfire View Post
    Update:

Here Is The Exchange That Left A Stunned Janet Yellen Looking Like A Deer In Headlights
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...eer-headlights

For nearly one year, Wisconsin Rep. Sean Duffy has been Janet Yellen's nemesis over the ongoing probe into Fed leakage of material inside information via Medley Global and any other undisclosed channels, one which has seen subpoeans be lobbed at the Fed which has been doing everything in its power to stall said probe, and which cost Pedro da Costa his job when he dared to ask questions at a Fed presser that were not precleared by his WSJ "Fed mouthpiece" peers.

Today, during Yellen's appearance before the House Financial Services committee, Duffy finally had enough, and in a heated exchange asked Yellen what on legal authority is the Fed exerting privilege to ignore a Congressional probe into what is clearly a criminal leak, one which has nothing to do with monetary policy and everything to do with the Fed providing material, market moving information to its favorite media and financial outlets.

The exchange highlights are below:
    [...]

As for the "deer in headlights" look, and why Yellen is so adamantly refusing to comply with subpoenas and provide the US population and Rep. Duffy with the requested information regarding how it was that the Fed leaked critical information to Medley Global's (founded by Richard Medley, former chief political strategist to George Soros) Regina Schleiger, the answer as Yellen explained last May...

... is simple: Yellen herself was the source, only there is no definitive proof... yet, as confirmation that the Chairwoman herself leaked the information in question would be grounds for prison time.

And since we doubt that Janet would chose a legacy of being the first Fed Chairman thrown in jail, even if it is not that far below a legacy of totally mangling the Fed's attempt at renormalizing rates at a time when the entire world was careening into a recession, we expect absolutely no cooperation by the Fed in this ongoing criminal matter.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock