Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strawberries and Squirrels

Angry Strawberries and Squirrels

I planted 42 strawberry plants last fall and here is the only strawberry I've managed to harvest. I've seen tons of green strawberries but when I went back to pick them they were gone. At first I thought the birds were getting them but a couple of weeks ago my mom noticed several holes in the ground near my plants and she says they're ground squirrel holes.

I'm having my strawberry for dessert. I don't even think it's fully ripened but I figured the squirrel would get it if I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Your R.O.I. is for suck.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Your R.O.I. is for suck.
    I know. I spent $42.00 for one strawberry and it wasn't even a very good berry.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

You can have some of my strawberries as I have plenty... They're right next to my raspberries and below my fig shrubby thing.. which is bearing serious fruit this year, about 25 but they grow pretty fast (probably going to be egg sized).. I still have to figure out when I have to harvest them.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    You can have some of my strawberries as I have plenty... They're right next to my raspberries and below my fig shrubby thing.. which is bearing serious fruit this year, about 25 but they grow pretty fast (probably going to be egg sized).. I still have to figure out when I have to harvest them.
    Thanks, luc. I love figs. You can keep the raspberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Thanks, luc. I love figs. You can keep the raspberries.
    oh noes... Don't say that. I have a cultivar that has been in the family for more than 100 years. It's very big pink/reddish raspberries and they are sweet. Didn't have any aphid problems this year so it's going to be a great harvest. I'm sure you like them... Otherwise, boil em with sugar and lemon/lime zest then add vodka when it's cooled down, great sauce for desserts.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    oh noes... Don't say that. I have a cultivar that has been in the family for more than 100 years. It's very big pink/reddish raspberries and they are sweet. Didn't have any aphid problems this year so it's going to be a great harvest. I'm sure you like them... Otherwise, boil em with sugar and lemon/lime zest then add vodka when it's cooled down, great sauce for desserts.
    I LOVE raspberries that way.

Any ideas for getting rid of ground squirrels? I don't want to kill them. I just want to encourage them to relocate.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know.

Try some mylar stuff on sticks so it floats around in the wind making noise and reflections in the sun. That works perfectly for birds. Which is why I have plenty of strawberries.........................
    "I am a bird"

Any ideas for getting rid of ground squirrels? I don't want to kill them. I just want to encourage them to relocate.
    Get some black snakes.

Maybe put some better squirrel food around your strawberry plants.

Or hang em up

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Get some black snakes.
    We have a lot of snakes. Apparently, the lazy bastards aren't earning their keep.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Maybe put some better squirrel food around your strawberry plants.

Or hang em up

I don't like the hangers. It's so hot, they have to be watered constantly but I may try putting a squirrel feeder nearby. Hopefully, it won't attract more squirrels.

I may try putting a squirrel feeder nearby. Hopefully, it won't attract more squirrels.
    Or mice or rats.. It'd have to be acorns or something maybe that only squirrels can eat. Or maybe the feeder does that part.

Do you have a dog?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

We have a lot of snakes. Apparently, the lazy bastards aren't earning their keep.
    I know the feeling. Since we rescued the pit-bull the black snakes won't inhabit the crawl space or the attic. So...mice.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Or mice or rats.. It'd have to be acorns or something maybe that only squirrels can eat. Or maybe the feeder does that part.

Do you have a dog?
    Yes, I have a 15 year old blind, deaf, cocker spaniel. The poor old guy barely makes it out the doggy door. Unless whatever you're thinking of involves ass licking, napping or eating, it ain't gonna work.

I know the feeling. Since we rescued the pit-bull the black snakes won't inhabit the crawl space or the attic. So...mice.
    I've already seen 3 snakes this year. Fortunately, one was a king snake and the other 2 were rat snakes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think you can "relocate" them. Pretty persistent buggers. Might try this...

"The Patriarch"

I don't think you can "relocate" them. Pretty persistent buggers. Might try this...

That looks like something my 14 year old would do. When he was 7 he strapped his bb gun to the handlebar on his bike and made a "homemade tank".

I've already seen 3 snakes this year. Fortunately, one was a king snake and the other 2 were rat snakes.
    While I was down in ATL the ole lady said that he got in a tussle with a black. She said it wrapped around one of his back legs. The boy loves to spin in circles, which he supposedly did, throwing the snake off him. I would surely love to have seen that.

Perhaps you should study the films of Bill Murray. He has some experience in dealing with ground-dwelling rodents ...

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Perhaps you should study the films of Bill Murray. He has some experience in dealing with ground-dwelling rodents ...
    This is looking like a job for my #2 son. He fancies himself a demolition expert.

After a couple seasons, no more baby squirrels:

I planted 42 strawberry plants last fall and here is the only strawberry I've managed to harvest. I've seen tons of green strawberries but when I went back to pick them they were gone. At first I thought the birds were getting them but a couple of weeks ago my mom noticed several holes in the ground near my plants and she says they're ground squirrel holes.

I'm having my strawberry for dessert. I don't even think it's fully ripened but I figured the squirrel would get it if I didn't.

Hey suzy. I'm having trouble with chipmunks(ground squirrels, if they are the same things), myself. First it was ants, but the ants aren't that bad right now. NOW it's those damnable CHIPMUNKS@!!@!#$@#

I'll send you a picture of what I'm trying to do tomorrow if I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    Hey suzy. I'm having trouble with chipmunks(ground squirrels, if they are the same things), myself. First it was ants, but the ants aren't that bad right now. NOW it's those damnable CHIPMUNKS@!!@!#$@#

I'll send you a picture of what I'm trying to do tomorrow if I get around to it.
    Here ya go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoundTuit.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	4220
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just make gravy from the squirrels , sausage gravy , squirrel gravy ... it is all good

I LOVE raspberries that way.
    FIGS!! (They are looking good.)
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    After a couple seasons, no more baby squirrels:

Oh that's nuts. The poor guy!

LOL--Same thing happened to me when I planted a row of raspberry bushes. The ground hogs, birds and wabbits got em all. Oh well--guess they gotta eat too. Whenever I see some berries on it, I run over there and pick em fast.

Get some black snakes.
    This is the cure..

how about cats? I am not a snake fan but love the kitties and each of my three has their specialty.. one gets the rodents.. another gets the snakes (or did.. poor little guy got feline vestibular syndrome and hasn't fully recovered yet) .. my third is just a friendly guy.. he plays with lizards until he wears them out.
    one of them has nailed a bird or three but nobody's admitting it.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast