Thread: Rand Paul on Blocking the Patriot Act, GOP Hawks, and Edward Snowden (ReasonTV interview)

Rand Paul on Blocking the Patriot Act, GOP Hawks, and Edward Snowden (ReasonTV interview)

Rand Paul on Blocking the Patriot Act, GOP Hawks, and Edward Snowden

Matt Welch, Joshua Swain & Meredith Bragg | June 5, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has had a busy couple of months.

In April the junior senator from Kentucky announced that he was officially running for president. In May he released his new book, Taking a Stand, which argues that only a “new kind of Republican” can win a general election against Hillary Clinton, in part by embracing such cross-partisan issues as privacy, as he did most famously in a March 2013 filibuster about drone policy.

And as the clock struck down to June, Paul fulfilled a campaign vow – and pissed off a lot of Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and much of the 2016 presidential field – by blocking reauthorization of the Patriot Act.

Reason Magazine Editor-in-Chief Matt Welch sat down with Rand Paul in his Washington, D.C. campaign office Thursday to discuss his ongoing disputes with GOP hawks like Lindsey Graham, whether Edward Snowden should go to prison, and what will be the future of NSA surveillance.

Runs approximately 14.30 minutes.

Produced by Joshua Swain and Meredith Bragg.
    http://reason.com/reasontv/2015/06/0...patriot-act-go

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Rand Paul on Blocking the Patriot Act, GOP Hawks, and Edward Snowden

A really good interview on ReasonTV

I hate media. They only talk about the neobloddthirsty opposing Rand, but never mention that he has allies.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Are they really going to stop collecting data in those billion dollar sites? Really? No.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Are they really going to stop collecting data in those billion dollar sites? Really? No.
    It's going to be business as usual. They might try to be less obvious and in your face about it is all.
    "The Patriarch"

He needs to drop the Snowden sharing a prison cell line.

People talking in the background are annoying me.

Huge improvement in Rand's coat, tie, and shirt ensemble from last week.
    Last edited by anaconda; 06-06-2015 at 03:11 AM.

ISIS is ZERO threat to the U.S.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    He needs to drop the Snowden sharing a prison cell line.
    Have you asked Snowden if he'd be down to take 2 or 3 years on the head if Clapper was there too?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

40 Hours of Freedom...sounds like a good name for a rock band.

Ken Cuccinelli and FreedomWorks just filed to oppose the restart request:
    http://www.fisc.uscourts.gov/sites/d...20Motion-1.pdf